Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of a Speckled Yellow Goldie :D :mrgreen: They never see to land let along settle :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I've tried loads of times to get a decent shot of the moth before, this time I managed a shot of the SY and the rarer Sable Moth which was pleasing :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I always remember the Speckled Yellow because it puzzled me the first time I saw one - very many years ago! I couldn't find it in my Observers' Book of Butterflies and so learned that there are brightly-coloured day-flying moths as well :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I did exactly the same, I used to put Moths down to the fact they just hate your cloths :D Now if I get the chance I'll get a shot of them :D Goldie :D

The weather here has been awful, we came back from my cousins on Thursday and the water on the motor way was horrendous , cars were stopped on the verges of the motor way, mostly petrol cars luckily for us ours was diesel( flooded) My Husband said it was to do with their carburettor's. We've just heard now there's another storm on the way :roll: at least the Sun shined for a while this morning and we got a walk in.

I needed a boost from earlier in the year to remind me there's a light at the end of the Tunnel, :D so I've posted some shots from my visit to Norfolk.

I was surprised at the time at the many various flowers the Swallow Tails enjoyed so I've just put these shots on, I've yet to find out what the Yellow flower is called, but I recognise the Yellow Iris which i didn't think they were interested in. Goldie :D
Attachments
Swallow Tail 10th June Hickling Broad
Swallow Tail 10th June Hickling Broad
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail
Swallow Tail

trevor

Post by trevor »

:mrgreen: :D :!:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

At the risk of causing a 'domestic', I think it's electrics rather than carburettor that stops petrol cars. They need a high voltage spark that is easily lost in the wet. I used to have an old Mini, which were notorious because all the electrics were immediately behind the grille at the front, so the car stopped in every rainstorm!!!

Love the Swallowtails - must put Norfolk on my list for another visit next season :)

David M

Post by David M »

A nice and welcome diversion during this prolonged stormy spell, Goldie.

Hopefully, in six months time when Swallowtails return conditions will be far more benign!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Trevor :D
Mike, no risks of domestic's at our house :) We always discuss :lol:
My Husband did say some thing about sparks being doused by the rain , so I put my hands up for that , hope you get to Norfolk next year, if you do try Hicking Broad NNR they really cater there for you to see the ST
with all the different Wild flowers there.
David , glad you enjoyed the ST shots they do lighten up a miserable day. :)

We're getting ready for the next storm to arrive, batten down the hatches is not in it .Goldie :(

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: We're getting ready for the next storm to arrive, batten down the hatches is not in it
This one's a real tempest, Goldie. 60mph+ winds and the place feels like it's about to fold!

Roll on some cold but calm weather!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Swallowtails Goldie - I need to decide which new species to go for next year...that one is very tempting! :D :mrgreen: Hope your hatches are battened down it's horrible outside at the moment! :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David and Wurzel, thanks for your comments Wurzel their much appreciated , have you not seen the Swallow Tails Wurzel :?:
I'm sure you must have! if you haven't nows the time :)
The weather here David has been awful, we've put off shopping today because of the winds, it's not raining now but we've still got a weather warning :(
Some trees are down and the roof's gone on a property in Wigan and they've said we could have Snow over the weekend , Great! :roll:
Ah! well, time for coffee and scones :lol: Goldie :)

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:The weather here David has been awful, we've put off shopping today because of the winds, it's not raining now but we've still got a weather warning
Tell me about it, Goldie!! It's been equally shocking here too.

Normally, I get chance to hunt down a few late November butterflies but these storms are wiping that opportunity out. :(

Unless things change real soon, it'll be 3 months before my next sighting.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Great Swallowtail photos, they are giving me ideas for next year...decisions, decisions :wink:

Horrendous weather here too, gales and torrential rain and a roof was blown off a house just a couple of miles away from us the other night :shock:

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, not seen Butterflies here since late October, they must have known about the storms, :) they said today wasn't going to be too bad weather wise, we got caught in a real down pour and had to change our clothes, that's after putting the shopping off for a day,( Lord knows what the weekend will bring ) :roll:

Hi! Neil, glad I've given you food for thought :D The Swallow Tails are a sight to be hold and I'm really glad we went to see them.
I want to go and look for the Purple Emperor's at Corby we put it off last year because of the weather, hope fully next year we'll get there :D
I also fancy Sussex for the Brown Hair Streak in August but I'm not sure how to fit it in with my visits to Kent also in August, has you say decisions ! decisions !

:D Mean time, I'm cheering myself up with some fun shots from this year taken at Gait Barrow, I'm not sure who was chasing who though :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Brimstones 16th June 2015 Gait Barrow GM
Brimstones 16th June 2015 Gait Barrow GM
Brimstones (3).jpg
Brimstones (2).jpg
Brimstones (1).jpg
Brimstones.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great sequence of shots Goldie, really interesting behaviour documented as well :D :mrgreen: I'm still not sure about the UK Swallowtails - I'm sure Mrs Wurzel will have the deciding vote :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Roll on more Brimstones next spring...that's all I can say!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree David, it makes you long for Spring :D

Hi! Wurzel, your wife sounds bit like me :lol: glad you like my little Brimstones, Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've not had very much to report about lately the weather has been so bad here , on Sunday the winds were really scary but apart from a garden chair being blown into our fence we were pretty lucky.

My biggest disappointment so far this year( Garden Wise) has been my' Magnolia Tree' which seems to have died which is a real shame because the birds and Butterflies used to love it,( more the birds than Butterflies) it was lovely up to and even into May than when the leaves started to come through they suddenly began to die off going quite brown and crispy and this horrid looking green algae started to creep over the branches ,I'd be glad of any opinions abut this.
(The Speckled Woods seemed to like the Tree more than the other Butterflies.) I've kept hoping the flower Buds would show which they usually do this time of year but so far nothing. so it looks like a lost cause which makes me sad :cry: I won't do any thing until Spring now and hope some thing shows.

On a brighter note I've put my Christmas Tree up and we're ready to take off for Kent in a couple of weeks time . Goldie :)
Attachments
Landscapes.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Goldie M wrote:...On a brighter note I've put my Christmas Tree up and we're ready to take off for Kent in a couple of weeks time . Goldie :)
My daughter put her Christmas Tree up last weekend :roll: but I stubbornly refuse to get ours out of the loft for at least another week :P

And I don't blame you flying south, my brother up in Newcastle has already had a good dumping of snow last week and we have had a few flurries around here during the night.

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Christmas tree up already! :shock: Mind you they've been selling Christmas decorations since October so why not :lol: Have a great time down in Kent, I hope you can catch up with a hibernator :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”