Best Places in Europe for Butterflies in November

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
SCOTT761

Best Places in Europe for Butterflies in November

Post by SCOTT761 »

Hi

I have decided to treat myself to a week's holiday later this month and would like to go somewhere in Europe where there will still be quite a few butterflies flying, I realise that butterflies will be much scarcer this late in the season but I reckon there must be some good places in the warmer parts of Europe where I could see several species, I have been thinking maybe The Algarve, Southern Spain or possibly even Southern France but I really need some assistance as I have absolutely no idea where to go.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me and offer some suitable locations, also approximately how many and which species would I be most likely to see.

Scott
Chris Jackson

Re: Best Places in Europe for Butterflies in November

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Scott,

I should think that by the end of November there will not be much left flying down in the south of France, at least not near Marseilles. Although today is sunny with blue skies and 20°C on the thermometer, it won't stay like that for long. Today at lunch I counted 7 species on the plateau of Vitrolles in the space of 30 minutes:
pirithous (20 +), boeticus (3), rapae (2), megera (5+), crocea (10+), atalanta (4) and daplidice (1).
Spain is probably a better bet. I wonder what Greece is like in the autumn - could be nice and cheap as well ? :D

Cheers, Chris
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Around the Mediterranean some butterflies can be found all year round - but really not that many. Also, if your trip was primarily for butterflies and only a week long, the weather could sabotage it completely. What about the Canaries?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cyprus? The weather can stay fairly warm and settled here right up to Christmas, which must keep things flying. There are one or two interesting species on the island too, I believe. Has anyone been?

Dave
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

No haven't been but it's in my bucket list for butterflies and orchids, some great information here http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I was thinking about suggesting Cyprus. I was there in July and although there aren't that many species there, you would struggle to find some of them elsewhere in Europe.
EricY

Post by EricY »

In early Nov 13 I found good number of Clouded Yellow (I/c Helice) & Bath White @ Cadiz, a few butterflies @ Cartagena & two tailed pasha + others I was not allowed time to see!! @ Gibraltar. Have another cruise last 2 wks Nov this year & hoping to see some more. Eric

Return to “Overseas”