Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Thanks Trevor, it was a shame you had to leave early, that male was fantastic. Hope you got some nice photos today.

All the best

James

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great stuff James, very jealous but you certainly made the most of what you saw :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Hard to see how it can get much better than this!

Some lovely images too which are a credit to you given the circumstances.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A terrific day James and thanks for grabbing hold of the steering wheel and making the car do a big U turn!! It was worth the effort. Glad you got some good results as well.

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:Great stuff James, very jealous but you certainly made the most of what you saw :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
Thank you Buggy, I'm sorry your attempts at Newhaven didn't pay off, hopefully if you try again it will be your lucky day.
David M wrote:Hard to see how it can get much better than this!

Some lovely images too which are a credit to you given the circumstances.
Most kind of you David, I've just had a look at Neil's diary, it appears that it can get even better! What an end to the year!!
badgerbob wrote:A terrific day James and thanks for grabbing hold of the steering wheel and making the car do a big U turn!! It was worth the effort. Glad you got some good results as well.
A really terrific day Bob, I'm so glad we went back! Thanks for everything today, I'm rather chuffed with that pristine male, I expect you could tell.

All the best

James

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi James
Very nice indeed :D :D Your a lucky lot down there in Sussex :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm so envious, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: lovely shots, Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I think the last time I saw your LTBs I gave it three well that is now on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anymore and there won't be any left for anyone else :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

jackz432r wrote:Hi James
Very nice indeed :D :D Your a lucky lot down there in Sussex :mrgreen:
Thank you Jack, it is making for an exciting end to the season down here. It does feel a bit weird seeing fresh blues at the end of October though!
Goldie M wrote:I'm so envious, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: lovely shots, Goldie :D
I hope you make it down to the south coast and manage to see one Goldie, they are not exactly abundant, perhaps there are quite a few more ready to emerge.... fingers crossed.

Wurzel wrote:I think the last time I saw your LTBs I gave it three well that is now on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anymore and there won't be any left for anyone else :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hello Wurzel, a Mr Green from you is a badge of honour! I wear them with pride. :D Just for you here are a few more LTB photos from the past two days.

Thank you for your kind and generous comments all.

Long-tailed fireworks and spooky blues.

Thanks to Mark Colvin I was granted the rare privileged of seeing another 2 male LTB's over the last couple of days. I was too late to photograph the second male but I did see it briefly before it flew off. Many thanks to Mark and 'for co-finding the first Male' Downland Boy.
1 Male LTB Tide Mills 26-10-2015.JPG
2 Male LTB 26-10-2015.JPG
2 Male LTB Tide Mills 27-10-2015.JPG
3 Male LTB Tide Mills 27-10-2015.JPG
Also thanks Bob for helping me out today. :wink:

Thanks for looking

ATB

James

David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic stuff, James. I only wish these beauties were similarly present in south Wales.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This is getting ever more envy making Rex, if only it wasn't such a long drive away :( :mrgreen: (Only one Mr Green , I have to leave some for others to use :lol: )

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Much too far for me to travel James, I'll just have to enjoy your shots and any other's that appear, :) I just hope when I'm in Kent next year the weather will be good enough for the butterfly to put in an appearance , until then, keep the photo's coming because although the weather has been nice here no sign of Butterflies lately so it's great to see yours :D I'm still :mrgreen: :mrgreen: though Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:Fantastic stuff, James. I only wish these beauties were similarly present in south Wales.
Cheers David, yes I certainly wouldn't mind if these beauties became a regular feature over a large swathe of the UK. I'm not sure that the nations pea growers would be so hap-pea though. :D
Wurzel wrote:This is getting ever more envy making Rex, if only it wasn't such a long drive away :( :mrgreen: (Only one Mr Green , I have to leave some for others to use :lol: )

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks again Wurzel, during my LTB adventures I've seen people come from far and wide to see the Long-tailed Blue. Thankfully lots of them went home with a sighting and some photos. It's a risky trip to make, it's so easy to visit on the wrong day, miss one by a whisker. OR choose the wrong location. I felt the same about Kingsdown Leas in 2013 and that was a lot closer for me to get to than Sussex would be for you. Who knows hopefully we'll see a really huge influx cross the channel one year making such a long trip a dead cert. Would have been great to see you here though, maybe next time. :D
Goldie M wrote:Much too far for me to travel James, I'll just have to enjoy your shots and any other's that appear, :) I just hope when I'm in Kent next year the weather will be good enough for the butterfly to put in an appearance , until then, keep the photo's coming because although the weather has been nice here no sign of Butterflies lately so it's great to see yours :D I'm still :mrgreen: :mrgreen: though Goldie :D
Like I iterated to Wurzel, I can completely understand why you didn't make the journey Goldie. I hope we get another wave of LTB's and you'll manage to see some, they really are beautiful butterflies.

Blue and red magic on old hallows eve! And a first for November in the UK!!

Thanks to a lack of frost this far into autumn the UK emergence of Long-tailed Blues has continued much longer than many had anticipated. If anyone had told me that I'd still be out chasing freshly emerged butterflies into November at the start of 2015 I wouldn't have believed it. BUT here we are, and what a lot fun it's been, not least because I've spent a lot of my time with some of the many friends I've made whilst chasing butterflies over the years. So on a chilly 'Halloween' morning I found myself up on Brighton racecourse along with many other LTB hunters looking high and low (mostly low :wink:) for some elusive and freshly emerged Long-tailed Blue's.
We all spread out and began searching the field where the everlasting pea grows close to the ground. During our search my friend Gary found a freshly emerged and stunning female Red Admiral. We couldn't resist taking a few photos of this lovely creature.
1 Red Admiral female 31-10-2015 .JPG
2 Red Admiral 31-10-2015.JPG
While we were busy taking photos of the Red Admiral my phone rang. A female Long-tailed Blue had been found by none other than Neil Hulme (no surprise there) so we rushed over to join the gathering throng. More can be seen over on Neil's diary.
1 LTB female 31-10-2015.jpg
2 Female LTB 31-10-2015.JPG
Long-tailed Blue's in November!

Thanks to Neil a lot of people (me included) went home happy. As ever Neil has been very generous with his time, he has helped a lot of people to see UK born LTB's this year.
When I returned home I checked the forecast for Sunday, it said that thick fog would give way to some clear skies and unseasonably warm sunshine. I didn't need any more encouragement, I decided to ask Bob if he'd like to join me on the racecourse for 'possibly' one last bash at seeing one 'or hopefully more' LTB's. The lure of a UK first, a November Long-tailed Blue sighting was irresistible. So we arrived at about 10am to see Mark Colvin already at the site. Mark helped me to see a Male LTB on Monday, I was kind of hoping to repay the compliment by finding one for him. It wasn't to be though, whilst searching with Mark he managed to find a stunningly fresh male. We both shaded the male trying to keep it cool so it didn't fly of in the 'by now' souring temperatures. We both got on our phones and put the call out for everyone to join us.
1 LTB Male 01-11-2015.jpg
2 LTB Male 01-11-2015.jpg
3 LTB Male 01-11-2015.jpg
Thanks to Mark a lot of people saw and photographed this fantastic male before we lost sight of it. After it departed the search continued, I think about an hour past when my phone rang again, this time our very own Katrina had found yet another male! After a little bit of confusion we discovered that this was not the male from earlier on but a different individual. Well spotted Katrina! See more in her diary.

More and more people continued to arrive throughout the day, but apart from one brief fly past late in the afternoon no more LTB's were found disappointing the later attendees. On my way back to the car I spotted a very fresh looking Red Admiral basking in the strong November sun I just couldn't resist one last shot. A wonderful end to a brilliant day.
1 Female Red Admiral 01-11-2015.jpg
Thanks for looking

ATB

James

Please see these Blog's for some more wonderful LTB reports and photos.

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.co.uk/
http://markcolvin.blogspot.co.uk/
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This is starting to feel like rubbing it in now Rex :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

You should have seen the photos I didn't post Wurzel! :shock: :wink: I have no doubt if you lived down here you'd be in amongst them too. It could be a lot worse, you could be pea grower living somewhere in the Mediterranean! You'd be utterly sick of the sight of them. :lol:

ATB

James

trevor

Post by trevor »

lovely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :!:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi James,

That first image of a male is simply stunning. One of the very best shots I've seen. Congratulations!

BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just once again enjoyed all the LTB photos rex :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The weather here at present is depressing (FOG ) :( never lifted all day so your photos are a breath of clean air Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:lovely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :!:
Thanks Trevor. :D
Neil Hulme wrote:Hi James,

That first image of a male is simply stunning. One of the very best shots I've seen. Congratulations!

BWs, Neil
Hi Neil, Thanks for the huge compliment. It was a lucky shot of course, the Butterfly was being shaded, not my ideal circumstances for butterfly photography, consequently I struggled a bit. It really helped that this male was in perfect condition and he opened his wings nice and wide facing straight at me! Not wanting to sound like a terrible a** kisser your photos have been excellent as usual.
Goldie M wrote:I've just once again enjoyed all the LTB photos rex :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The weather here at present is depressing (FOG ) :( never lifted all day so your photos are a breath of clean air Goldie :D
You're very kind Goldie, we were VERY lucky that the thick fog cleared where we were on the south coast. We could see the fog further in land but thankfully it stayed away. It was unusually hot for the time of year but the grass was sodden with dew. My so called waterproof boots couldn't cope so I spent the day with very wet feet - all part of the fun. :D

Many thanks for your kind comments all.

All the best

James

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Loving the first picture - a fantastic shot!

Return to “Personal Diaries”