November 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

November 2015

Post by David M »

Last realistic chances of action and, who knows, maybe an 'exotic' or two....
selbypaul

Re: November 2015

Post by selbypaul »

Just seen a Small White in my garden in Sheffield today! That is the latest "White" butterfly I've seen in my whole life.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

1st November
Brodie near Forres, Moray, one Red Admiral.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Two hour stroll at Dungeness(Kent), in beautiful weather,once the fog had lifted,still a fair few plants in flower,including bits and pieces of Ragwort,Nottingham Catchfly,Vipers Bugloss,Valerian,sea Campion to name a few. On the butterfly front ,was pleased to find 2 Small Coppers,both females (in the moat),a single Peacock,and a single Large white,we still haven,t had a frost,here yet . regards Allan W.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

Two hours today (1st November) spent at Upton Towans in Cornwall produced Peacock (3), Small Copper (2), Large White (2), Red Admiral (5), Speckled Wood (7) & Comma (1). That's now 23 months in a row with a butterfly for me spanning from January 2014 to date ........... just the challenging month of December to complete 24 calendar months of butterflies in a row!!!!!!!!!!!
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

I was just approaching the QEII Bridge from the Essex side of the M25 just before noon today. Conditions were foggy and about 11 deg. C, when a nymphalid flew past my windscreen. It was heading west, so assume it was a migratory Red Admiral. About half an hour before, I had seen a Small Copper at Little Warley Common near Brentwood in clearer conditions so perhaps the Red Admiral had warmed up earlier in a similar sunnier spot.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Many eyes were focused on Brighton Racecourse today, looking for the first Long-tailed Blues ever to be recorded in November in Sussex. One was spotted roosting on Bramble by Mark Colvin at 11.20 and another by Katrina Watson at 12.50. Both were fresh males and close inspection of the images later in the evening established that they were the same butterfly.
Brighton Racecourse 1-Nov-2015
Long-tailed Blue male - Brighton Racecourse 1-Nov-2015
The weather was sunny with light winds and the temperature reached approximately 18C in this location, despite many other places further inland being shrouded in fog all day. Other sightings were 6 Red Admiral, 1 Comma and a Painted Lady.
I understand that Neil Hulme also found a male Long-tailed Blue at Lancing station at 13.35.

Vince
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

To add to Allan.W sightings at Dungeness today. This afternoon, in glorious sunshine (16 degrees), we saw and photographed 2 fresh Clouded Yellows, Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Red Admirals along Dengemarsh Gully. In addition, we saw a further 2 Red Admirals and a Small White along side the ARC pit.
A search of the Everlasting Pea failed to find any LTB's, but all the time this fine weather holds we will continue to look.
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote:Many eyes were focused on Brighton Racecourse today, looking for the first Long-tailed Blues ever to be recorded in November in Sussex. One was spotted roosting on Bramble by Mark Colvin at 11.20 and another by Katrina Watson at 12.50.
Fantastic! It's at times like these that I sincerely wish I didn't reside in a part of the UK that's so 'out on a limb'.

Looks like a great gathering. Well done one and all.
David M

Post by David M »

Ridiculously mild November day saw me spend an hour at Bracelet Bay on the Gower Coast.

Disappointingly, only four butterflies were seen - one male Green Veined White and three Red Admirals:
1RA(1).jpg
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hello UK B'ers,

In the ridiculously warm weather I saw 1 RA, 1 Comma and 1 ST in the garden.

Flutter on!

CJB
David M

Post by David M »

A surprise Red Admiral fluttering around my work building this afternoon, no doubt attracted by the glass front which retains the heat.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Still a surprising amount of butterfly activity in the garden, with regular fly-pasts of both Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral. Although it is warm, the light is very dull.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Last weekend I found a Small Tortoiseshell on the carpet in my "den". It was certainly alive as it feebly opened its wings. It is now in a plastic container in the fridge (+4 to +5C) and seemingly in proper hibernation.

I have used this fridge method before and it was a real thrill to see "my" Peacock wake up on a fine spring morning. I put it in the shade behind a curtain but with plenty of ambient light and sun outside. It slowly opened its wings, shuddered a few times and was soon ready to be released into the garden. I hope my current hibernator gives me the same thrill next April.

Jack
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Red Admiral, fresh but undersized (slightly bigger than Small Tortoiseshell) flying in bright sunshine by the banks of the Parrett at Langport, Somerset, this afternoon.
leytonorient

Post by leytonorient »

Brimstone in garden on the 1st november, Aylesbury, Bucks
maverick

Post by maverick »

november red.JPG
november coma.JPG
A very fresh coma and a few minutes later a red admiral poped into my Warrington garden .
got to say that the rest df the day was a wash out
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Saw a report of a Holly Blue yesterday in North-east Essex
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"My" Tortoiseshell in its winter quarters (fridge).
tortie.jpg
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:"My" Tortoiseshell in its winter quarters (fridge).
A proper butterfly, given what its sleeping beside. :)

Return to “Sightings”