Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
peterc

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by peterc »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Can it get any better? It sure can with your sort of luck but well deserved of course
I don't think Neil has "luck". He has patience, fieldcraft and dedication. Neil has an amazing talent in finding all these goodies - Large Tort, Queen of Spain, LT Blue, etc - but it cannot by any stretch of the imagination be described as luck.

I recall a [mild] telling off from Neil. It was Purple Emperor time in Fermyn Wood. Neil gently chastised me for approaching a grounded PE too quickly. He was of course absolutely correct. That is a minor example of his skill that not all of us possess.

Jack

Of course, Jack. That's why I said it is well deserved :) You make your own luck

Peter

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks for the kind words, all.

The accessible area at Lancing Station is very small, but I'd hoped that they would show here as its a good place to sunbathe, being backed by a south-facing concrete wall. I suspect this area has been peppered with a huge number of eggs, as several hundred metres of the adjacent railway embankment (sadly out of reach) support far more pea plants than any other site in Sussex. There was so much in flower until recently that I initially spotted the location from the window of a train!

Just for you Jack, a close-up of this stunning butterfly.

BWs, Neil
LTB ab. Lancing Station 25.10.15.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Taking Bets

My thanks to Mark Colvin for alerting me to the presence of a male and female Long-tailed Blue at Brighton Racecourse today. I arrived in time to see the male. Even Money that we see a November LTB here.
BC LTB male, Brighton Racecourse 27.10.15.jpg

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

[quote="Neil Hulme"] ... Just for you Jack, a close-up of this stunning butterfly ... /quote]

That photo is great, Neil. LTBs are not uncommon down here in Marseilles, but I've never seen colours like that. Wow !! Abberation ?
Down here (probably due to warmer conditions) these insects don't remain immobile for long, and don't often open their wings.
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Even Money that we see a November LTB here.
Hope you're right, Neil. I certainly wouldn't bet against you.

trevor

Post by trevor »

:D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Short-tailed Long-tailed Blue

Following an unsuccessful search of several sites I found a beautiful, male Long-tailed Blue at Southwick Basin this afternoon (28 October), just east of the tall chimney. I was doubly pleased as I had offered to help find one for some senior Butterfly Conservation staff from Hampshire, and a friend from Dorset. Following a text alert they made the journey from Beeding Cement Works to Southwick, just in time to see it turn towards the sun and reveal the fabulous purplish blue colour of its upper side.

The tails on this specimen were unusually short, but close examination proved them to be perfectly formed. When I looked at the images on my computer I noticed a small drop of meconium fluid, suggesting that it had not long emerged. This might explain why a friend who had searched the site just before me had not noticed the butterfly, which may have still been drying off its wings.

With sunshine forecast for the entire weekend, the escalating tally is sure to rise further.
BC LTB male (underside), Southwick 28.10.15.jpg
BC LTB male, Southwick 28.10.15.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:With sunshine forecast for the entire weekend, the escalating tally is sure to rise further.
I've seen that forecast, Neil, and it is most unseasonal.

18c maxima with practically cloudless skies. A Hallowe'en Long Tailed Blue is surely odds-on this coming weekend?

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I have just spotted you in The Argus website - well done and good to have a good news story.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13903886 ... grassland/

Brian Arnold

Post by Brian Arnold »

A very big thank you to Neil for his help in guiding me to see the Long-tailed Blue at Southwick Basin on Wednesday. Without your help I doubt I would have seen one. Regards, Brian Arnold from Swanage, Dorset.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Neil, that's one gorgeous photo of the LTB, I love it , your a lucky lot down there :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. Brian - Glad your long journey proved successful!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Trick Or Treat?

Trick or treat? Treat! This afternoon (31 October) I had only 90 minutes to find a Hallowe'en Long-tailed Blue for a group of friends who had taken the odds at Brighton Racecourse. After thoroughly searching the area of grassland to the NE of the TV mast for almost an hour, I finally found a female nectaring on Aster, near the bench/viewpoint to the SW.

She moved to an area of longer grasses and low scrub to bathe in the afternoon sunshine, where she was soon attended by an ever growing crowd of admirers. Before she disappeared to roost, a dozen people had managed to enjoy her, including several who hadn’t seen this species before.

She had similar (but less extreme) markings to the aberrant individual I found at Lancing Station on 25.10.15. This is probably an environmentally driven phenomenon, produced by the relatively large diurnal temperature range experienced this far north at this time of year, during the larval/pupal transition period.
BC Long-tailed Blue (female), Brighton Racecourse 31.10.15.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You never disappoint, Neil!

That white submarginal line does seem quite pronounced, and it's interesting to read your theory for it.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Beautiful! :)

Dave

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Your searches Neil and eventual reward makes me all the more inclined (touched on earlier) that LTB is a regular, perhaps even annual, immigrant to the south coast. I can’t recall if you made the first sighting of 2015 but you have certainly followed up with finds in localities (eg Lancing, Southwick) about which you had a gut feeling.

It seems that many (most?) casual observers wouldn’t just happen to come across LTB. You have shown Neil that diligent searching gets results.

I recall (2011 was it?) when we visited Rewell Wood together on a miserable spring (so-called) day. You found a few roosting PB Fritillaries that I certainly would never have found myself.

A thought about Everlasting Sweet Pea, apparently LTB’s only food plant in England (why restricted to Everlasting Sweet Pea?) This plant doesn’t, as far as I know, begin flowering until well into the summer. LTB larvae feed on the developing pods so would never start breeding in England until quite late in the summer. It could be (just a hypothesis) that LTBs might never become an abundant summer migrant unless they adapt to a food plant that is available from May onwards after the frosts have finished. Information on LTB breeding strategies in the near continent might be instructive (eg the food plant used on the French coasts).

Jack

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Very nice Neil :D Looks like I chose the wrong site :(

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all.

Jack: Long-tailed Blue definitely does use other foodplants in the UK (including Broom) - there was some discussion in another thread here viewtopic.php?p=104460#p104460

I suspect that the timing of the majority of migrant arrivals will always be similar, based on the seasonal movements of the species further south. Although there were pioneer adventurers recorded in early July (UK and mainland Europe), the dates of the main incursions were very similar in 2013 and 2015, around start second week of August.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Half Century Of Long-tailed Blues

On Sunday morning I received a number of messages that Mark Colvin had found a male Long-tailed Blue at Brighton Racecourse, which was being enjoyed by a growing number of visitors, some of who had travelled a long distance.

This was the first county record for November, but not for the UK; the national record being held by a 20 November 1961 sighting in Devon (per Richard Fox, BC). A second sighting by Katrina Watson subsequently proved to be the same individual, based on photographic comparisons.

With a busy domestic schedule I was too short of time to make it over to the racecourse, so had to make do with a trip to my nearest site at Lancing Station (scruffy area adjacent to the north side car park). Time was running short and in the cool, foggy conditions I was giving up hope.
While discussing the Brighton sightings on the ‘phone with Mark, the sun briefly forced its way through, and at 1.35 pm a small patch of bright lilac-blue magically appeared on the bramble in front of me! This gave me the greatest of pleasure, being my 50th (minimum) individual Long-tailed Blue in the UK.
After taking a few shots as the insect warmed up and became mobile, it disappeared northwards over the concrete wall into Sompting Road. I thought that was it, but as I walked out onto the road I saw it flying E – W and then land at the near end of a concrete driveway. It sat here and sunbathed for a few minutes, before heading up over the roof and disappearing. I only had a further 5 minutes available, so never saw it again.
BC Long-tailed Blue (male), Lancing Station 1.11.15 (2).jpg
Summary

A number of interesting stats are coming together. When looking at the ratio of sexes recorded during the British brood, the same pattern has emerged as that seen in 2013. Females have emerged before the males, which is of course the reverse of the pattern observed in most species.

Sussex data
19.9.15 – 25.10.15 female:male = 8:3
26.10.15 – 1.11.15 female:male = 2:5

In 2013 the British brood females were invariably photographed in perfect or near-perfect condition, and seldom repeatedly (if ever) in a state of gradually degenerating condition. However, many of the males were photographed over the course of a number of days, demonstrating increasing wear and tear. The insects behaved in a colonial manner and mating was observed – but no egg-laying. Circumstantial evidence suggests that the females may have migrated south soon after mating, whereas the males hung around, presumably hoping to grab another virgin.

In 2015 the British brood has been found and photographed only in perfect or near-perfect condition, irrespective of sex. No colonial behaviour has been observed and only in rare cases has the same individual been photographed on more than one day, always when poor weather would have grounded them. In fair weather, the butterflies have consistently disappeared shortly after midday. Circumstantial evidence suggests that all of the butterflies, irrespective of sex, may have migrated south soon after emerging. The emergence has been later than it was in 2013, apparently due to the slower development of early stages in much cooler conditions. Day length and temperature may have triggered this markedly different behaviour in the emergent adults.

I have now collated a 2015 total of 36 Long-tailed Blues in Sussex, although Colin Pratt has used a slightly different method to achieve a total of 37. I also have a UK total of 62, but this is an underestimate, based on the assignment of just 1 per day, where Kent birders recorded presence/absence on a site, rather than numbers.

Bearing in mind the method of counting during the 1990 event (which included a large number of recounts of the same individuals), I believe that 2015 has seen the second largest ever Long-tailed Blue event in the UK.

Recording effort has been very much focused on Sussex, and it is quite possible that the national picture has been less well recorded than it was in 2013. Had poor weather not stalled the influx through a large part of August, I suspect that the story might have been different.

It is exciting to think what future years may hold for South Coast butterfly enthusiasts.
BC Long-tailed Blue (male), Lancing Station 1.11.15 (1).jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I find your post most interesting, I was down in Kent in 2013 and just missed out on the Long Tailed Blue which was spotted at St Margarets on the Cliffs about 28th August, having seen no reports that they've been seen there since . I'm living in hope that I may see them in Kent on one of my visits mean while your photos are making me want to jump i the car and arrive in Sussex :lol: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”