Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by David M »

Saw quite a few in the Alps in early July, but thus far only two in the UK.

The first was a male spotted from my car whilst on the way back from a Brown Hairstreak trip in Pembrokeshire trip on 10th September and sadly, I couldn't nail it down to get an image.

The second was a more placid female of the species, seen at Port Eynon on the Gower Peninsula in amongst the dunes on Sunday 27th September:
1CY2(1).jpg
Last edited by David M on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

As this is really the Clouded Yellow time of year, both of these shots are recent and taken at Southbourne, the home of the Clouded Yellow! I couldn't make my mind up on which picture, but one was getting on a bit and the other was very fresh. Just can't get enough of this species which sees me through the winter.

Mike
Attachments
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here are a couple of shots from Vitrolles in the South of France. The uppersides shot shows the shutter-speed limits of the Panasonic FZ150.
forme helice
crocea36 female helice Vitrolles olive grove 07Oct15 (1a).JPG
crocea35 pair Vitrolles olive grove 07Oct15.JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my one and only photo this year on the 8th August at Samphire Oh! Kent, I was so pleased to see them, there was quite a few but this one was the only one that landed in front of me Goldie :D
Attachments
Samphire Oh! Kent 8th Aug 2015
Samphire Oh! Kent 8th Aug 2015
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Only a couple of Clouded yellow encounters this year but I filled my boots with pictures since the individuals were very accomodating to my presence. Hard pushed to find one favourite picture. Love my 'stained glass' pics from my first but I can't ignore my late season ab. so I've narrowed it down to 3 pics....
Try as I might, I couldn't get her flat against the sun, she wouldn't stop moving, I still like the result though :)
Try as I might, I couldn't get her flat against the sun, she wouldn't stop moving, I still like the result though :)
Clouded Yellow female ab. aubuissoni, Newhaven Tide Mills #50.JPG
Clouded Yellow female ab. aubuissoni, Newhaven Tide Mills #27.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw a single Clouded Yellow down in Cornwall in early June and that was it until my week in Dorset in early September when I saw maybe half a dozen scattered about at various sites.

Amongst these were a couple at Osmington along the path up to White horse Hill...
Clouded Yellow - Osmington 01.09.2015
Clouded Yellow - Osmington 01.09.2015
...and a couple at Durdle Door a couple of Days later,
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2015
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2015
Cheers,

Neil
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've only come across three Cloudies this year, and they were all seen on separate days in the same place - the north side of Aston Rowant. The only decent photo was of a female seen on the first of these days, 7th August.
CY1 070815.JPG
Dave
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I managed to see a few Clouded Yellows in 2015, for once they did not breed at our Hutchinsons Bank reserve as the only one seen was male.
DSC00406ccs.JPG

Return to “Clouded Yellow”