Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I'm really pleased 'and relieved' that you finally got that pristine male Neil, and you took some cracking photos too. I believe you've got a full set now! If by some miracle I manage to see a pristine male LTB I'll be able to join you with a full house. It's a pity the weather has started to deteriorate, I suppose if it all comes to an abrupt end we've both seen our fair share of these fabulous butterflies. Hopefully there will still be a bit more to come.

It's great that we're finishing the season with these fantastic memories, they are sure to help us endure the coming winter.

All the best

James

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. The fact that I had waited so long for a perfectly conditioned male LTB made the experience all the more magical.

However, I nearly made a complete hash of things, as when I got home and started wading through the 160 images I had taken, I couldn't find a sharp one! I was aware that my hands weren't too steady when it first opened its wings (how do you control that level of excitement?), but things were looking increasingly bad. I eventually discovered that the dial on my FZ38 had shifted to aperture priority (derrrr, what's that?), rather than my preferred P (idiot) setting, but the 3 or 4 good shots I finally found saved me from meltdown.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

They Think It's All Over ...

Halloween is only a week away, and yet butterflies are still emerging in Sussex. If that isn’t spooky enough, the fact that they are Long-tailed Blues surely must be! My confidence that we were still to enjoy a significant emergence of British LTBs was just beginning to wane, as temperatures dropped perilously close to the accepted kill-point last week. However, it seems that the colder snap may have delayed, rather than halted, the lifecycle. The next 7 – 10 days will tell us more.

This afternoon, following a systematic search of Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea plants on which I have previously found eggs, I found another freshly emerged Long-tailed Blue at Beeding Cement Works. It never opened its wings, but from glimpses of the abdomen it was almost certainly a female insect. After making numerous phone calls, a long string of visitors were able to share in the excitement, including a friend who travelled up from Swanage! Dan Danahar delayed his end of term celebrations to film more footage for a Butterflies of the Biosphere grand finale.

The sun is forecast to shine on Sunday, so this weekend will hopefully see more emerge. Based purely on my own, unproven theory, I suspect they are emerging and immediately heading south this year, unlike 2013, when day length and weather conditions allowed them to adopt a more colonial behavioural pattern (including mating), before leaving for an all-inclusive in the winter sun.

X Factor, Strictly and The Apprentice may be firmly underway, but the butterfly season isn’t finished yet.
BC LTB female, Upper Beeding 23.10.15.jpg
BC LTB female and admirers, Upper Beeding 23.10.15.jpg

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Brilliant stuff Neil. It's so autumnal, dank and cool up here in Sheffield, it seems crazy to think they are still emerging.

trevor

Post by trevor »

:D :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really happy for you Neil, also very envious :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Paul,

This species is perhaps a little tougher than we give it credit for. I've been keeping a close eye on local weather station data, in an effort to determine the tolerances of Long-tailed Blue at the northern extent of its adventures. Only pressure of work has prevented me from placing maximum/minimum thermometers out on the best sites. Data from Shoreham indicate that night-time temperatures fell to 5 deg. on 8th October, and a worrying 4 deg. on 13th October.

It is quite possible that a proportion of larvae and/or pupae have perished, but we can be certain that some have survived, with Sussex adults recorded on 9th and 23rd October. The next 7 - 10 days should give us a clue regarding the wider picture of survivability.

In 2013 the last adult Long-tailed Blue in Sussex was observed on 22nd October at Polegate - a newly hatched male. It will be interesting to see if we can record British Long-tailed Blue in November. I will continue the search whenever time allows. Having spent so long surveying for ova, I'm able to focus my searches around Broad-leaved Everlasting Peas stands which I know have supported good numbers of the early stages. This has probably been the key to success in intercepting newly hatched individuals.

In contrast to 2013, I haven't seen adults on more than one occasion (yet), which makes me think they are reacting differently to less favourable environmental conditions, and making a sharp exit. Tomorrow should be sunny, and although I'm leading a work party I'll return to Beeding beforehand, to see if I can relocate the latest adult and watch how she behaves.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sitting Tight

The female Long-tailed Blue was again seen at Beeding Cement Works today, only stirring from its slumber when the cloud thinned and the sun threatened to break through. If visiting the site, please park 600 m to the north, in the layby to the west of the A283. All known Long-tailed Blue sites are well worth visiting when the sun shines tomorrow, and on any sunny days thereafter.
BC Long-tailed Blue, Upper Beeding 24.10.15 (1).jpg
BC Long-tailed Blue, Upper Beeding 24.10.15 (2).jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Hulme wrote:Thanks, all. The fact that I had waited so long for a perfectly conditioned male LTB made the experience all the more magical.

However, I nearly made a complete hash of things, as when I got home and started wading through the 160 images I had taken, I couldn't find a sharp one! I was aware that my hands weren't too steady when it first opened its wings (how do you control that level of excitement?), but things were looking increasingly bad. I eventually discovered that the dial on my FZ38 had shifted to aperture priority (derrrr, what's that?), rather than my preferred P (idiot) setting, but the 3 or 4 good shots I finally found saved me from meltdown.

BWs, Neil
I know that feeling very well, I had exactly the same issues with my Brown Hairstreak lifer a few months back, shaking hands causing me having to bin most my pictures

On a purely selfish setting on my part I do hope no LTB's are sighted at Newhaven tomorrow......... I'm working all weekend :roll:
Good luck though with your continuing searches, hope to see lots more fantastic pics...... just none from Newhaven :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the updates, Neil, and well done on finding that female.

I know what you mean regarding settings on the old Panasonic. Many's the time I've been in IE mode instead of close up, or in close up instead of P mode, etc, etc.... :evil:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi bugboy and David,
I think I might try a spot of superglue on the dial setting. These cameras enjoy a little abuse. :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Blue Sunday

Today (25 October) was glorious in every respect. I don't have time for the full narrative this evening, but in addition to the female and 'new' male Long-tailed Blue at Upper Beeding today (the latter of which I missed, as I had to leave to lead a work party), I found two more. On the way home I stopped off at a site I've been watching near Lancing Station. Just before 3pm I found myself looking at two female Long-tailed Blues, sitting just a couple of metres apart. One of them was marked spectacularly over the hind wings, falling outside the range of normal variation. Can it get any better?
BC Long-tailed Blue (female), Lancing Station 25.10.15 (1).jpg
BC Long-tailed Blue (female), Lancing Station 25.10.15 (2).jpg
BC Long-tailed Blue (female), Lancing Station 25.10.15.jpg
BC Long-tailed Blue (female), Lancing Station 25.10.15 (3).jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

What can I say? The first picture [especially] is quite amazing.

It wouldn't be sporting to enter the photo in the ukb annual competition: nothing else would stand a chance.

Jack

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I couldn't wait to see this Neil, what a stunning specimen! What a day! Can it get better? All bets are off.

See you soon.

James

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Amazingly beautiful Neil. Simply fantastic and what a find!! With temperatures being cooler than what this butterfly is used to during its stages perhaps more aberrants will appear!!

David M

Post by David M »

Neil, you only got what you deserved given the hours you've put in.

Great shots and hopefully there'll be a few more before the frosts put paid to this joyous late season event!

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote:Neil, you only got what you deserved given the hours you've put in.
I completely agree :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
peterc

Post by peterc »

Brilliant stuff, Neil. You would think that finding an aberrant LTB there might be a sizable colony at the site. Well done. Can it get any better? It sure can with your sort of luck but well deserved of course :)

ATB

Peter

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Neil! I can't add any thing else I can only agree with what's been said Goldie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Can it get any better? It sure can with your sort of luck but well deserved of course
I don't think Neil has "luck". He has patience, fieldcraft and dedication. Neil has an amazing talent in finding all these goodies - Large Tort, Queen of Spain, LT Blue, etc - but it cannot by any stretch of the imagination be described as luck.

I recall a [mild] telling off from Neil. It was Purple Emperor time in Fermyn Wood. Neil gently chastised me for approaching a grounded PE too quickly. He was of course absolutely correct. That is a minor example of his skill that not all of us possess.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”