Monarch & Two-tailed Pasha

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Trik

Monarch & Two-tailed Pasha

Post by Trik »

We are returning to southern Spain late May next year. Will both these two species be on the wing, please? Some websites indicate that they will, but first-hand confirmation/observation would be very welcome.

Trik
David M

Re: Monarch & Two-tailed Pasha

Post by David M »

I can't comment on Monarchs, but I know for sure that Two Tailed Pasha emerges in late May in France for its first brood so I would strongly suspect it will be on the wing at this time in Spain.
Trik

Post by Trik »

That's good, David, and thanks for letting us know. Of course, the trick will be finding the blighters - preferably with all their tails intact! We will be in a different area to where we were this year in September, when we saw just a couple near the Guadarranque dam and a couple in the Alameda Gardens on Gibraltar.

I am hopeful that Monarchs will be flying in late May, but I doubt I shall see any L4 or L5 larvae and that is something I would really have enjoyed.

Trik
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

As David says, TTP emerges late May in the South of France.
To be even more precise, for the area of Marseilles, from one year to the next they appear in calendar week 20 or 21, but no earlier.
One can presume that they will be flying in Spain at that time.
Hope you see some in good condition :D
Just to whet your appetite :
jasius23_13 Vitrolles scrub 25Aug15.JPG
Cheers, Chris
Trik

Post by Trik »

Lovely open-wing shot, Chris. That is just what we are aiming for. We will be in Spain during week 22 next year, but as we will be somewhat northwest of Malaga perhaps the TTPs will be earlier than around Marseilles?

Trik
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Trik wrote: ... Spain during week 22 next year .... perhaps the TTPs will be earlier than around Marseilles? ... Trik
One would think that the flight period would start earlier where it is warmer.
T. Lafranchis states: 'May to October', but I admit there is a margin for disappointment for anyone who hopes to spot one on the 1st of May. :roll:

At least in calendar week 22 they will be nice fresh spécimens :D

Let's wait and see if anyone has experience of TTPs early in Spain.

Chris

Return to “Overseas”