Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys :D it was the first time I've ever had a Clouded Yellow that wasn't ridiculously flighty!

20th September, South Downs Way.

Another beautiful day beckoned and with my search to tick off Clouded Yellows for the year I had already planned a trip to the south coast before yesterday’s Cloudy experience. With no reason to change my plans I set off for a day at the seaside: Eastbourne and Beachy head, somewhere where I’m reasonably familiar with now. Checking UKB on my phone to kill a bit of time on the train I read Neil Hulmes entry about the LTB and noted his location was not very far from my destination. I couldn’t help but get just a teeny bit excited at the prospect of stumbling across a LTB on my wanderings :D.

I arrived at Eastbourne a little before lunch and enjoyed a pleasant walk along the seafront, keeping one eye out for anything small and blueish. Small Whites were literally everywhere, with the odd Large thrown in for a bit of variety.

The first non-white butterfly I saw when I got to the Downs was a lovely deep rich yellow Colour. Unlike yesterdays female however, this male didn’t hang about for long and after a quick drink on some Travellers Joy he was off.
IMG_6270.JPG
A little further on two Cloudies shot past in an aerial tussel (I managed two yellow blurs with my camera) before they separated and one settled for a quick basking session allowing me my third and, as it turned out, final Cloudy picture of the day.
IMG_6276.JPG
IMG_6278.JPG
Small Whites were still everywhere and easily outnumbered all other species combined with many readily settling to allow pictures.
IMG_6275.JPG
There were still a few blues buzzing around in the more sheltered paths. Being rather faded and with LTB still in mind, I followed every single one like a bloodhound until I could be certain of it’s ID. All were of the Common variety.
IMG_6284.JPG
There were several fresh Small Heaths including this fine specimen
IMG_6289.JPG
And loads of these micro moths, not sure what they are :?:
IMG_6298.JPG
Approaching Beachy Head a Peacock zoomed by and landed on a patch of bare earth, the first one that I’ve seen settled for quite sometime.
IMG_6305.JPG
Nearby a couple of Wheatear were calling and looking out over the Channel, no doubt contemplating their oncoming trip to Africa.
IMG_6317.JPG
On the return route I took the higher path where I’d found my Walls in the spring, ‘Wall Brown Alley’! The ever present Small Whites flitting here and there were joined by the occasional faded Speckled Wood but my attention was drawn to a flash of copper glinting in the sun. A little worn around the edge but still stunning.
IMG_6334.JPG
But it paled when it settled near a fresh female
IMG_6337.JPG
I followed this second one around for a bit, the weaker late summer sun really doing justice to the autumnal colours.
IMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
Carrying on on my travels I found a placid female Large white
IMG_6354.JPG
Whilst following a few more potential LTB around something larger landed behind me, another summer visitor and one that has been decidedly scarce this year. I can count the number of Painted Ladies I’ve seen this year on one hand so I was very happy when this one decided to concentrate on feeding in front of me.
IMG_6365.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG
The Blues were all still Commons.
IMG_6381.JPG
So nothing with a hint of a tail for bugboy today, but you can’t really complain on a sunny day when the scenery looks this good!
12049445_10153012677951331_758616281320465126_n.jpg
12049438_10153012677531331_7026079215719845465_n.jpg
11224216_10153012677756331_8420943637735940047_n.jpg
Saying goodbye as I left the downs were a small family of Stonechat
IMG_6386.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Painted Lady shots Bugboy, especially the stained glass image. :D Is the moth a Rush Veneer, a migrant?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Great Painted Lady shots Bugboy, especially the stained glass image. :D Is the moth a Rush Veneer, a migrant?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks and yes, that seems to be a good ID for the moth :) . Did you see my stained glass Cloudy efforts in my previous report :wink:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

23rd September, Epping Forest

Only a few hours spare today so I stayed local at Epping Forest, somewhere I've not been for a few months. I got there around lunchtime, after a sunny morning a few clouds were bubbling up but it was still pleasantly warm. Despite this there was very little flying and it turned out to be a Hoggers/Neil Freeman type of afternoon, Speckled Woods and a couple of Small Coppers.

First to show was a female SW:
IMG_6389.JPG
IMG_6391.JPG
A few minutes later I caught a glimpse of a copper buzzing around a patch of Ragwort, I'm glad they are turning up regularly now on my trips after a dreadful first half of the year!
IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
IMG_6403.JPG
Half an hour passed before another couple of SW's appeared
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6410.JPG
A little later another SC appeared, again on Ragwort
IMG_6412.JPG
But I only managed one half decent pic before one of these bungling idiots clattered through sending the SC shooting of over the bramble hedge :evil:
IMG_6419.JPG
I carried on with herds of Daddy-long-legs erupting from the grass with every footstep and found another couple of SW
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6438.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
I noticed the female was ovipositing inbetween basking sessions and finally managed one shot as she layed after several blurred attempts
IMG_6424.JPG
On the return trip it was decidedly less sunny and I saw no butterflies for about an hour but other inhabitants were making the most of the occasional sunny spells
IMG_6445.JPG
IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG
As a final treat a Green-veined White joined me near the end of my afternoon :)
IMG_6463.JPG
IMG_6468.JPG
A quiet but pleasent few hours
Last edited by bugboy on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up Buggy, :D I like your scenery shots and it's good to see the Small Copper's are a round down there because I've not seen any a round here yet, going looking this weekend, the weather is supposed to nice ( hope fully) Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bugboy... I have a type of afternoon then, I never realised :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Goldie M wrote:Catching up Buggy, :D I like your scenery shots and it's good to see the Small Copper's are a round down there because I've not seen any a round here yet, going looking this weekend, the weather is supposed to nice ( hope fully) Goldie :D
I'm always catching up these days Goldie! Small Coppers are one of those butterflies that just turn up randomly so I'm sure one or two will crop up locally for you :)
Wish I was off this weekend, tried to book it off but I have to work both days, dawn when I leave for work and dusk when I finish so not even the chance for a sneaky hour or two :(
Neil Freeman wrote:Hi Bugboy... I have a type of afternoon then, I never realised :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
You do indeed, I've noticed a pattern develop over my first season on this forum :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I did indeed see the Cloudy you referred too, but as I have still to see one this year (and time is running out) I tried to ignore it :D :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Still Plenty of Time Wurzel :)

All work and no play makes Bugboy quiet on here so a half day at work provided a chance to pop down to Bookham to see how things are developing. I saw exactly 3 butterflies but it was definately a case of quality over quantity!

The first was a fresh female Small Copper and probably the best example of the Blu Badge Gang I've seen all year
IMG_6482.JPG
a little while later I came across an equally fresh individual, I thought in the field it was a male but now I'm not so sure
IMG_6485.JPG
The third butterfly I saw was a fresh out the box Comma but sadly it was too flighty to get a picture, couldn't get more than 5 or 6 feet before it glided forther along the path in front of me, it was a beauty though.

Common Darters were everywhere
IMG_6494.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
All my Hairstreak eggs are present and correct and over at White Admiral Towers Brian II is still tucked away for the winter, he's gonna get a cold arse when winter actually arrives!
IMG_6500.JPG
I dug out my little old point and shoot camera to get a better shot of this particular patch of honeysuckle
DSC03163.JPG
It did have more leaf when I first found the cats but I would never have referred to it as rich in foliage!

Over at Stans pad he's still out and about, drawing attention to himself!
IMG_6521.JPG
But he's looking a bit more fat and stumpy now, I think he may well be getting close to going to sleep for the winter.
IMG_6526.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Coppers and White Admiral larvae, bugboy. In your quest for LTB's you may fare better by going to East Kent. We made a brief stop off at Newhaven on our way back from EK and we only found one small patch of (well trampled) BL everlasting pea in the shelter of the North facing bank near the beach. We met another Sussex BC guy there who had found the same small patch. We saw no sign of any LTB's during our brief visit there, nor did he! Also on our way back we also checked out Beeding Cement Works, with similar results. Good Luck.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

30th September, looking for the LTB.

Thanks for the tip Maximus, which I only read this morning on the train. I suspect east Kent is just a little too far for a day trip for me though.

Our rather pleasant Indian summer continues providing me the excuse to go looking for the illusive Long-tailed Blue that is currently lurking in various sites along the south coast. Newhaven was the chosen site, being probably the closest to me and conveniently close to a train station. Within minutes of getting on the site I discovered a huge swathe of Everlasting Pea (Maximus you must have been wandering around with your eye’s closed :P :lol:!)
20150930_123851.jpg
It was still relatively early so after a good scan I moved on to see how much more Pea I could find. It was also decidedly breezy and blustery. A few Small Whites were flying, which after last nights discussion on here I checked carefully when settled, based on wing shape and markings they were all 100% rapae.
IMG_6531.JPG
I also disturbed a few Small Heaths, very difficult to approach at this time of year with the long shadows cast by the low sun.

Apart from the occasional Red Admiral flyby not much else was seen butterflywise for an hour or two. Birdlife on the other hand was very rich. Large flocks of Meadow Pipit were feeding in the short turf and flocks of Swallows and House martins swooped low over my head. Good numbers of Stonechat, Goldfinch, a kestrel, some Redshank as well as the usual collection of Gulls and Corvids.
Redshank
Redshank
Stonechat
Stonechat
I did get a very fleeting glance of a largish raptor as it dipped down behind one of the sea defences being mobbed by Swallows. It had vanished by the time I’d clambered to the top of the ridge. It was a very fleeting glance but it did seem to have rather large broad wings and a pale rump and my gut feeling was Harrier. A quick check in my guide suggests female Hen Harrier if my obs. were accurate?

Dragonflies were very numerous, mainly Darters and on closer inspection they were both Ruddy and Common Darters.
Ruddy Darter
Ruddy Darter
Common Darter
Common Darter
After having wandered halfway to Seaford I turned and wandered back. Despite the stiff breeze it had warmed up nicely and a female Small Copper fluttered down in front of me.
IMG_6586.JPG
She was the first of at least 4 I was to see, all females.
IMG_6613.JPG
I watched another one flutter around obviously looking to lay. She finally found some Sorrel, pirouetted a few times and then layed a single egg, well I thought she did but upon looking I couldn’t see it on the leaf. It was only when I looked at my picture on my computer that I realised she had laid it on the stone next to the leaf, crafty lady!
IMG_6633.JPG
Nearby I found a Comma feeding on blackberries, making it much less flighty than yesterdays one and also gave me the chance to take some pictures that scream autumn to me
IMG_6604.JPG
I also had better luck with the Small Heaths since the sun was a little higher in the sky
IMG_6620.JPG
Back near the huge mass (Maximus! :wink: ) of Everlasting Pea I was taking a picture of a Common Darter when fellow photographer stopped to chat, turned out to be our very own B’saurus Rex. He hadn’t seen anymore LTB today either but he did take me over to another reasonable sized patch of Everlasting Pea (Maximus! :) ), where the LTB photographed by various members a week ago was seen. Still no sign though.

We ended the day chatting to another enthusiast who had also drawn a blank. It would seem Mr Hulme is correct in it being a bit early for the emergence here, damn him and his uber knowledgeable brain! Still if this good weather continues and coincides with another day off I may well give it another shot, it’s not every day you get a chance to see a LTB in Britain.

Great to meet and chat with you Rex, hopefully we'll bump into each other again with better LTB luck!

David M

Post by David M »

I shall be following your forthcoming adventures with interest, Bugboy.

I have no doubt that Neil's prognosis will prove correct and that the second week in October will throw up a new emergence.

Let's just hope weather conditions remain similar to those we are currently enjoying.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your huge mass of Everlasting pea is puny, bugboy :roll: and is exactly what we saw :lol: so what was the reasonable sized patch that B'rex showed you like :lol: :wink: Where we saw the two LTB's in Kent there was masses of the stuff, everywhere :D BTW I never walk around with my eyes closed, thats why I saw two LTB's in Kent :lol: :wink: A nice day out in brilliant weather for you though even though it didn't deliver what you were there for :wink:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Maximus wrote:Your huge mass of Everlasting pea is puny, bugboy :roll: and is exactly what we saw :lol: so what was the reasonable sized patch that B'rex showed you like :lol: :wink: Where we saw the two LTB's in Kent there was masses of the stuff, everywhere :D BTW I never walk around with my eyes closed, thats why I saw two LTB's in Kent :lol: :wink: A nice day out in brilliant weather for you though even though it didn't deliver what you were there for :wink:
Lol

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:I shall be following your forthcoming adventures with interest, Bugboy.

I have no doubt that Neil's prognosis will prove correct and that the second week in October will throw up a new emergence.

Let's just hope weather conditions remain similar to those we are currently enjoying.
It really is all down to shear luck from now on David, not just in coming across one of the little blighters but also getting the right weather on my day off work!

David M

Post by David M »

Sometimes, throwing a 'sickie' might just be answer! :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Sometimes, throwing a 'sickie' might just be answer! :)
Lol, trouble is my job requires me to have too much of a conscience to do that :? tempting though it is.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with it Bugboy, if you do throw a sickie make sure no one at your work knows about your activity on this site. I stupidly mentioned it to my line manager and so now there will be no sickes for me ever :( :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hope your luckier with the LTB's than I've been with the Small Copper's Buggy, Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Good luck with it Bugboy, if you do throw a sickie make sure no one at your work knows about your activity on this site. I stupidly mentioned it to my line manager and so now there will be no sickes for me ever :( :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

I put a link to my diary on my facebook a few months back....................................... :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”