September 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Allan.W.

Re: September 2015

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi all,
Windy ole' day down at Dungeness (Kent) today. But there was still a surprising number of Butterflies on the wing ,the Small Heaths are still about ,we saw 6 in all, but they were really battling in the wind ! a few small whites, a very frisky male Common Blue ,in the moat ,constantly harassing two Small Coppers ,of which we saw 19 in all, most are now looking very worn, but one or two still pristine , a couple of Days back ,my son and I, went up the old lighthouse, and I,ve included a shot looking across the shingle ,at the observatory(right hand end house),and the surrounding moat. Regards Allan.W.
DSCF2685.JPG
DSCF2539.JPG
DSCF2594.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

That does look to be a Small Copper paradise, Allan. Thanks for sharing. Nice to be able to put the site into context.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

David M wrote:That does look to be a Small Copper paradise, Allan. Thanks for sharing. Nice to be able to put the site into context.
I agree with David, we hear so much from this location from both yourself Allan, Hoggers and others It is nice to be able to get a true picture of what this place is like :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

29th September Lethen, Highland

I often think what the "wow factor" would be if Peacocks were rare or exotic.

Combination of my interests in this shot in my garden.
Pity about the fill in flash but buddleia (just planted by the way) was in shadow.

And to round off the day.

Jack
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Jack Harrison wrote: ... I often think what the "wow factor" would be if Peacocks were rare or exotic ... Jack
Hi Jack,
Exotic is relative. How lucky you are in the UK to regularly see Peacocks. Down here in Marseilles there is no chance of seeing one. If I do happen to see one further north in the Alps or Pyrennees, I forget what I'm doing and go for my camera.
They certainly have a wow factor for me !
The equivalent wow factor for you would be to step into your garden and see one of these below on your buddleia.
I have had up to 4 at a time in my garden.
This is relative wow factor :D
podalirius7_13 Vitrolles 29 May 2014.JPG
I get the same wow from Peacocks as you probably would from this.
Chris
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

For me, the absolute perfection of colour, texture and design is to be found in a freshly emerged Red Admiral. Any other 'favourites'?

Tony M.
David M

Post by David M »

Tony Moore wrote:For me, the absolute perfection of colour, texture and design is to be found in a freshly emerged Red Admiral. Any other 'favourites'?
Freshly emerged female Brown Hairstreak is to die for! :)
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Tony Moore wrote:For me, the absolute perfection of colour, texture and design is to be found in a freshly emerged Red Admiral. Any other 'favourites'?

Tony M.
Mine is certainly the Large White. I think it was Richard South who described it as a '...giant summer snowflake...'
Adrian Riley

Return to “Sightings”