Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Hoggers

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hoggers, I just love your closeups of the Copper, he does seem to be watching you :D I wish you could send some of them North :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, thanks for your kind comments - I've got my fingers crossed for you!

It was "A Tale of Two Coppers" at Dungeness this morning.

I looked in on this chap
IMG_4408.JPG
He had as his territory this Bramble patch
IMG_1374.JPG
Where he seemed very much at home
IMG_4419.JPG
IMG_4400.JPG
But at 1016 a Young Pretender suddenly appeared
IMG_4464.JPG
And looked to be making himself too comfortable
IMG_4479.JPG
So it wasn't long before sparks began to fly
IMG_4332.JPG
Time and time again these swashbuckling Coppers would engage in ferocious and lengthy aerial displays, high and low ( in fact I twice saw the younger force the older male down onto the pebbles where he'd sit awhile before returning to the Brambles).
Both would resume perching on the blackberries
IMG_4336.JPG
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4437.JPG
And once settled close by each other
IMG_4433.JPG
only to start squabbling again.

Between 1016 and 1100 I counted no less than 28 punch-ups between these two, after the last of which only the younger male returned
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4458.JPG
He settled in to his new territory
IMG_4395.JPG
Nectared for the first time
IMG_4488.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG
And at 1120 I watched him do the "Stem Dance" routine ( but as there was no grass to perform on he went tap-dancing across the Bramble leaves and Blackberries!)

At 1145am I had to go. I saw no sign of the older male.

Before heading home I checked in on another male that I've been watching
IMG_4534.JPG
Still on his patch after 7 days!

Today I saw only 15 Small Coppers but many that I found were clearly very fresh indeed.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Last Sunday I watched a young Small Copper oust an older Small Copper from his territory. Today I returned to find the younger male was still in possession of the Bramble patch
IMG_4650.JPG
Although the sun was shining it was very windy but the male sat prominently up on the bush ignoring the buffeting winds
IMG_4562.JPG
I saw him fly several times around his territory to check if any intruders or females had appeared, always returning to the same watch point
IMG_4632.JPG
During this routine instead of checking the area he went on a "stalk dance", only as there's no grass he made do by tap-dancing over the Bramble leaves and spiralling down on this plant whilst quickly tapping his feet
IMG_4637.JPG
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4639.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG
From the helpful replies I received to my question in the "General" forum as to whether butterflies have "scent" receptors in their feet I can only conclude that the male Copper is regularly testing his immediate environment
IMG_4646.JPG
But what for? Perhaps for signs of females in the area? I don't know.

Blowy though it was I managed to find a few more Coppers
IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4586.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG
It's wonderful to see such bright young things so late in the season
IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4608.JPG
IMG_4605.JPG
I saw a female rebuffing a lusty male
IMG_4601.JPG
And came across a lovely blue badger
IMG_4667.JPG
IMG_4663.JPG
I saw 14 Small Coppers today

There's still life in the season!
IMG_4653.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Hogger's , I do envy you your Copper's :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Still no sign them here in spite of the weather being so nice, I think it's going to be next year now before we see them here. :( Goldie :)

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Goldie - If you don't find any Coppers then do come and visit Dungeness next year!

I was treated to some very interesting examples of female Small Copper behaviour today.

Firstly, here's a female warding off the attentions of a male
IMG_4825.JPG
You can see her walking (not flying) away from him
IMG_4827.JPG
Then doing the "Turkey Strut"
IMG_4828.JPG
IMG_4829.JPG
Waving her hind wings at him
IMG_4830.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
This male got the message and simply stopped, allowing her to walk away into the bush
IMG_4832.JPG
I find it fascinating to watch.

Secondly, here's a beautiful and fresh lady that I found today
IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG
with gorgeous blue badges
IMG_4729.JPG
She was quietly nectaring
IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4746.JPG
when a male flew in,right above her,landing nearby but not in any way paying her attention.

Her instant reaction as he flew in was to snap shut her wings and freeze
IMG_4747.JPG
And she remained this way for 5 seconds before resuming her business
IMG_4750.JPG
I have now witnessed females do this on several occasions
IMG_4753.JPG
IMG_4757.JPG
IMG_4760.JPG
IMG_4765.JPG
IMG_4767.JPG
Although this female was very fresh there's a definite tang of Autumn in the air
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4772.JPG
IMG_4805.JPG
Still some lovely butterflies to see though
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4703.JPG
IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG
And there's a beauty in even the most tattered of Coppers
IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4794.JPG
I counted 21 today
IMG_4798.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful photos Hogger's, I love the shots of them on the Berries, I never get tired of looking at them Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I love to see them perched on the blackberries too, Goldie, they look like something out of 'A Midsummer's Night Dream"!

Glorious sunrise today
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
Once the temperature had risen I headed down to Dungeness. Firstly I checked on the young male that I watched evicting an older Copper from his patch
IMG_4863.JPG
Still there after 7 days
IMG_4865.JPG
I then ventured out into "The Desert". I wanted to see whether a male Copper I found on 20th September was still on his patch. I had my fingers crossed! The longest I've recorded a male keep to a set territory is 7 days, so I really had my hopes up for this one.

And when I got there
IMG_1418.JPG
I found him!!!!
IMG_4963.JPG
He may not look very special
IMG_4975.JPG
But he's special to me!
IMG_4979.JPG
He's been at this same site for at least 14 days. His favourite roosting place is next to my hat (in the photo!) and unlike other males that I've watched this year his patch is large, I've seen him range about the whole area in the photo.

I read in Frohawk that a Small Copper adult is expected to live for 3 week, so this chap has spent at least 2/3rds of his life on the same patch.

I hope I'm not giving a false impression. Although some male Coppers do stick to a single territory for many days, lots do not. All seem to be territorial but there are males that move on ( perhaps due to their disposition or to outside factors).

I saw quite a few punch-ups today. These two were unhappy neighbours
IMG_4910.JPG
Constantly in dispute
IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4915.JPG
As were others that I watched today
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
I don't know if they do much damage to each other in these contests, I doubt it unless it's accidental.

They have their quieter moments
IMG_4844.JPG
Males seem to be active before females in the mornings. As the morning went on I saw females appear. This one came out from within the bush and began to bask in the sun
IMG_4872.JPG
I was delighted to find this beauty
IMG_4922.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4934.JPG
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
So it's still very Coppery
IMG_4967.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG
I did find one NCCFO ( Non Copper Coloured Flying Object)
IMG_4985.JPG
Very Late!

But still plenty of Coppers to keep me entertained
IMG_4891.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Hogger's just wished I lived nearer I'm still on the look out but nothing so far Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I really enjoy reading your reports on the Small Coppers Hoggers, great observations accompanied by smashing photos :D

Be interesting to see how long they hang on for down there.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Coppers Hoggers :D I still haven't seen any third generation Coppers at my usual sites - do you think I've missed them or are they still to come?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi, many thanks for all of your generous comments. It's a feature of this wonderful UKButterflies website that absolute novices like myself will receive a warm welcome and encouragement for their efforts to learn about butterflies, so thank you very much indeed.

As for the remaining Small Copper season, in past years I've found them right up to the end of October and even into November, so the best of luck to you all!

Hoggers

peterc

Post by peterc »

You're being modest, Hoggers. You don't sound like an absolute novice to me :) . Some super shots of the coppers and long may they continue flying.

ATB

Peter

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some fascinating observations Hoggers, particularly that male who's retained his territory for 2 weeks. Is that patch of raised ground south facing? If it is my guess would be it's warmer micro climate makes well worth holding on to, especially at this time of year with the weaker sun.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Brilliant observations of the Small Coppers, Hoggers, and lovely shots of them too.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for all of your kind comments.

The Small Coppers have repaid me for all the time I've spent watching them many times over. They are fascinating creatures and there's so much more to learn,

Best wishes,

Hoggers.

David M

Post by David M »

Here's hoping for a November Small Copper in 2015, Hoggers! It was 20c when I drove home in Swansea this afternoon and the last couple of weeks (bar yesterday) have been pretty good.

Should give this species a chance to continue flying for a while yet.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I hope they go on and on for you, Hoggers. :) I did a complete double-take with that NCCFO, by the way - brilliant to sneak that one in! :D But yes, a very late Brown Argus. An isolated third brood individual?

Dave

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Dave, that NCCFO surprised me too! You never know what might turn up when you go butterflying!

Buggy, I think you're right about that Copper's patch. It certainly is a sun trap and he's got a good supply of nectar from various flowers growing there. When I get the chance I'll look in on him again and report back.

I'll have to check my records but I think the latest I've ever found Small Coppers at Dungeness is the second week in November, so hopefully there's plenty of life left in the season

Best Wishes

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Such a gorgeous October day: no wind and constant warm sunshine. Just perfect for me to check in on the Small Coppers of Dungeness!

Firstly,I just couldn't wait to find out if the male Copper I featured in last sunday's report was still on his patch
IMG_1418.JPG
My best record for a male holding a territory was 7 days until I checked in on him on sunday when that record was broken and a new high of 14 days set.

So with hope and trepidation in my heart I scrunched across "The Desert" to his patch...and there he was!!!
IMG_5096.JPG
I was delighted! This chap has stayed in this same place for at least 19 days
IMG_5103.JPG
(And you're right Buggy, it is south facing.)

When I first found him and sat down to watch it was 20th September and he looked 1 or 2 days old (guessing by his condition).

19 days later he is there still!

Chuffed with that result I wandered off and soon began finding Small Coppers
IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
As you can see, some at least are in fine condition
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5044.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
Although the males are now rather tired
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5017.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
This female had a lovely wide hind wing orange band
IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG
(a feature I come across now and again)

I watched duelling males
IMG_5057.JPG
IMG_5058.JPG
Little sparks of Copper.

I saw 21 Small Coppers today
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG

jenks

Post by jenks »

We`ll have to christen you the "Copper-king" !. Your reports of finding Small Coppers and your photos are a joy to read and see.

Jenks.

Return to “Personal Diaries”