millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel. The Small Heath did seem to have an extra spot, though curiously this was not present on the other side. Another backlit perching Specklie coming up... :)

Nothing much else in a half hour of warm sun around five this afternoon on my local patch. A single Comma flying around and basking high amongst the brambles, and the aforementioned Speckled Wood.
Comma1 180915.JPG
SpW1 180915.JPG
SpW2 180915.JPG
Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Dave :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 19th September: Much more sunshine today. A look first locally at around 1100 reinforced the Autumn feel. There were a few new Red Admirals around, and a couple of Commas too.
RA1 190915.JPG
RA2 190915.JPG
RA3 190915.JPG
RA4 190915.JPG
RA5 190915.JPG
Small and Green-veined Whites were nectaring everywhere on various yellow flowers, a few Speckled Woods perched in the shrubs and there were still a few worn Small Heaths in the grassy areas. No Holly Blues any more, but a very pale Painted Lady put in a brief appearance (heading south now?).
PL1 190915.JPG
This afternoon, the clouds built a bit, but it looked clearer to the north, so I went up to Aston Rowant. There were still Blues around, and I saw males of all three species, and probably females as well, but the latter sex were so worn I had virtually no chance of telling them apart.
AB1 190915.JPG
AB2 190915.JPG
AB3 190915.JPG
ChB1 190915.JPG
ChB3 190915.JPG
Chalkhill I think...
Chalkhill I think...
Not sure about this one at all
Not sure about this one at all
Probably the commonest species was the Meadow Brown, with quite a few large females flopping around the hillside and stopping to nectar. With less strength in the sun now, they were much more inclined to open up to absorb as much energy as they could.
MB1 190915.JPG
MB3 190915.JPG
One female Brimstone was also avidly feeding up, flying from flower to flower without a break.
Brimstone1 190915.JPG
Brimstone2 190915.JPG
Finally, I saw three Silver-spotted Skippers, including this surprisingly fresh female.
SSS1 190915.JPG
Still a bit of summer left here :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

I'm getting more and more intrigued about the life-cycle of Meadow Browns. In general, they've disappeared in south Wales, although a visit to coastal Pembrokeshire on 10th September saw a few very fresh-looking individuals. Are there places where this species either has an additional brood or undergoes an extended emergence?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, I really like your shot of the under side of that Speckie, in your post for the 18th , it's some thing different, also like the
Red Admiral's they're very fresh up here at the minute Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

It is a bit of a mystery about the Meadow Browns, David. It does makes you wonder what the caterpillar of a mid-September emerging butterfly has been doing all spring and summer... :?

Thank you Goldie - it seems Red Admirals are coming out round here too. Lovely to see them. :)

Sunday September 20th: Very limited opportunities today, just a half hour or so at Denbies on the way to pick up my son from cub camp, and about the same at home later on. A cloud sat over Denbies when I was there, which didn't help matters, and my sightings were restricted to Meadow Browns and Small Heaths. One of the latter was newly emerged, with floppy wings being blown around in the breeze.
SH1 200915.JPG
At home, I did glimpse a couple of Holly Blues high in the ivy before being accosted by the latest incumbent of the Red Admiral glade. It came close to landing on me, but was more timid than its predecessors.
RA1 200915.JPG
There was another sunning itself in amongst the brambles and ivy - a white-spot variety like the one I saw yesterday (but not the same one).
RA2 200915.JPG
I caught sight of what appeared to be a pair of sparring Speckled Woods, but as they came out of the tussle, one butterfly looked a very pale orange-brown rather than the usual colour. It settled within sight, and turned out to be an ancient hutchinsoni Comma.
In sunlight
In sunlight
This extremely late to be seeing one of these, since they usually appear at the end of June and do not normally have the staying power of their overwintering cousins. It just shows what the vagaries of the British summer can do.
Under clouds
Under clouds
Dave
Last edited by millerd on Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

An H.Comma this late is certainly noteworthy Dave, lovely colours on the Red Admiral. :D I reckon the late emerging Meadow Browns are the 'students' of the of the butterfly world, sleeping in until September :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

You can see why Meadow Browns are such a common and widespread species, their extended emergence maximises their survival chances by making sure that some of them avoid periods of bad weather. Even around my patch there are a few still hanging in there.

Cheers,

Neil

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Neil - I didn't see any Meadow Browns today, but then I didn't go very far.

It's by far the latest "summer" Comma I've ever seen, Wurzel. They've usually long gone by the end of August. And talking of lovely colours on Red Admirals...

One of my Red Admiral chrysalids opened this evening (you can tell it's been cool and dull around here, as this has taken over three weeks to emerge since pupation). I took a photo with a bit of flash before I released it round the corner where the caterpillar was found. The colours are astonishing.
RA1 250915.JPG
RA cu 250915.JPG
More Red Admirals later.

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Beautiful colours and patterning on the Red Admiral underside Dave :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful colours on the Red Admiral underwing Dave :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

They really are amazingly cryptic when you get that particular view of them.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, everyone - they look pretty exotic like that and I don't think I've really had such a detailed look before. No doubt the type and intensity of the flash adds something that natural daylight couldn't. Quite beautiful nonetheless.

Friday 25th September: before returning to find the hatched butterfly, I had just been out round my local patch in the late afternoon where there had obviously been a parallel emergence of Red Admirals in the wild. I saw five or six individuals, all nectaring on the now profusely flowering ivy. Apart from these, there were one or two Whites, a few Speckled Woods and a couple of Commas.
SpW1 250915.JPG
SpW2 250915.JPG
Comma2 250915.JPG
Comma1 250915.JPG
As I photographed one of these as it sat on a branch overhanging the river, a Kingfisher flashed by a foot or two above the water in midstream. Very distracting! Here is a view of the river, complete with Comma in there somewhere, moments after the Kingfisher had whizzed through.
river view 250915.JPG
The Red Admirals were the star turn, though.
RA2 250915.JPG
RA3 250915.JPG
RA6 250915.JPG
RA7 250915.JPG
RA9 250915.JPG
RA8 250915.JPG
RA10 250915.JPG
RA11 250915.JPG
RA13 250915.JPG
RA12 250915.JPG
RA5 250915.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 26th September: Up in the Birmingham area today, and was able to have a walk around the lake at Ryton Country Park near Coventry in the afternoon. Not much to be seen aside from a few Commas and Speckled Woods taking advantage of the overripe blackberries.
Comma1 260915.JPG
SpW1 260915.JPG
A small sheltered bit of garden could be seen through the cafe window, and a Speckled Wood and a Meadow Brown could be seen nectaring.
SpW2 260915.JPG
MB1 260915.JPG
I'm not sure what these flowers are, but they would seem to be a great source of late season nectar.

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thats a very late meadow Brown. That plant is Verbena bonariensis. I've seen it in a number places (there's some been planted in a 'nature garden' at my work) and it's always got various nectar feeding insects on it. If I had a garden it would definately be on my list of plants to get. Has quite a long flowering season, from June til october and is hardy enough for our winters.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Buggy - I've several times wondered what it is as it stands out at this time of year when other things are dying back.

Sunday 27th September: Another local foray today in the late afternoon - there were the usual Red Admirals, Speckled Woods and Commas.
Comma1 270915.JPG
Comma5 270915.JPG
Comma4 270915.JPG
Comma3 270915.JPG
Comma2 270915.JPG
However, I saw a magnificent female Large White which completely failed to stop, plus three Holly Blues (2m, 1f). One of these did stop a couple of times, both times high above my head, so all I could do was to zoom and hope for the best.
HB1 270915.JPG
HB2 270915.JPG
I found one shot had been photobombed by a Speckled Wood - the chances of that happening just as the shutter opened are a bit remote, but the brown blur is unmistakable. At least the Blue was not obscured.
HB4 270915.JPG
I would assume by their worn appearance that these were late second brood individuals - though a third brood appeared last year in early October and into November, the weather has been quite different in 2015 and I doubt there will be a repeat.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Comma Dave and still Holly Blues :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel - no Holly Blues today :(

Saturday 3rd October: Despite a week of sunshine, today was the first chance I've had to get out even just locally since last weekend. Not a great deal to see; there were just four Commas, two Small Whites, a Red Admiral and a single Speckled Wood. I didn't get close to the last of these, but all the others appeared newly emerged.
Comma2 031015.JPG
Comma1 031015.JPG
Comma4 031015.JPG
Comma3 031015.JPG
Comma5 031015.JPG
SW3 031015.JPG
SW1 031015.JPG
SW2 031015.JPG
The Red Admiral had a damaged antenna, but this appeared to make no difference to its behaviour.
RA3 031015.JPG
RA1 031015.JPG
Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

They look very fresh, Dave especially the Commas, it's great to see such freshly emerged butterflies at the beginning of October :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Dave, the Comma's seem to be doing well this October Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”