Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D I'll have to do a bit more reading up on this species methinks :D
Cheers Goldie :D I think I might try these types of shots more often :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Botany Bay 29-07-2015

Again I bit the bullet, out ‘Botany Bay – Chiddingfold’ into Google and out came a postcode. When I out it into my SatNAV and it told me a journey time of about 1 hour 30 minutes I thought ‘what the hell’ and chose a day to head off. Before I went I checked the weather, got some general tips from Philzoid and finally checked with my older daughter K who is also known as ‘the Oracle’. Armed with all this info plus a positive response from the oracle I drove off. The journey was okay but roadworks on the M3 mean that I wasn’t able to shave any minutes off the SatNav arrival time and there were the occasional
exclamations at slow drivers (I mean 20 in a 40 zone – come on find the accelerator or use the bus!) but I got there and there were still some blue sky patches.
The area Philzoid told me about was a bit of a walk in so I ran to get there whilst the sun still shone. Down the path, bear right, over the bridge and up the other side. Right here was the place I saw my first ever Wood White so time to walk slowly. I managed to see the odd Ringlet holding on and looking battered as well as Smessex, Large Skippers and the other Browns but not a single white on either side of the path. I was just past the turning and almost at the ‘field’ when a white blob stood out from the top of a purple flower. I thought at first that it was a feather but as I approached closer it resolved into a butterfly - Wood White on the tally! I’d only ever encountered this species once before so I spent some time with this individual just in case it was the only one. Eventually however with the sun coming and going I carried on down the path and cut across into the triangular field.
006 - Copy.JPG
021 - Copy.JPG
024 - Copy.JPG
031 - Copy.JPG
It was a lot more overgrown than I recalled with certain parts actually impenetrable so I avoided the far end in particular. As I wandered with the cloud still obscuring the sun I noted Large White, Peacock, Common Blue, Smessex, Comma as well as 5 or 6 Silver-washed Frits. However I did my best to ignore these and managed to find a couple more Wood Whites.
035 - Copy.JPG
044 - Copy.JPG
062 - Copy.JPG
094 - Copy.JPG
113 - Copy.JPG
123 - Copy.JPG
137 - Copy.JPG
With my target found what to do next? May as well have a look around to get a feel for the site. So I broke through back to the main track and carried on further into the wood. Just along the path there was a small scallop and this held a White Admiral, Peacock as well as 2 or 3 more Silver-washed. Further on still I found a couple of Hedge Browns but with the sun coming out less and less frequently it seemed a good idea to focus my efforts in the field.
174 - Copy.JPG
Once back I set up camp having located a Wood White which was sitting out the cloudy spell. I’d have a few bites of lunch, a sip of coffee and take a few shots, few bites, sip, few shots and repeat etc. Eventually the sun came out for another brief spell and then, just as Philzoid had warned me about, the behaviour of the Wood Whites changed. They went from unobtrusive, zen like butterflies to restless wanderers, a lot like patrolling Orange-tips. It was quite frustrating as they would make as if to land only to zip off to another patch of flowers where again they would pretend to land etc.
212 - Copy.JPG
230 - Copy.JPG
253 - Copy.JPG
272 - Copy.JPG
Whilst following and searching for Wood Whites I covered most of the field a few times over seeing Common Blues, Large White, Silver-washed, Smessex as well as a plethora of Hedge and Meadow Browns. There were also other interesting things to see such as a Hornet killing a bee. It flew slowly over the bramble tops, found its prey and then landed on it stinging it and wrapping itself around its smaller prey. I also almost trod on an Adder and found a Puss Moth caterpillar (a crackingly comical little beastie).
075 - Copy.JPG
299 - Copy.JPG
313 - Copy.JPG
315 - Copy.JPG
As the cloud settled in and a few spots of rain fell I thought that I should make a move homewards and so I left the field and started back down the track. I suppose by now I’d gotten my eye in because I ended up dawdling along the path from one Wood White to another. I went from a couple here and a couple there around the wood to 8 or 9 along this stretch of path.
333 - Copy.JPG
345 - Copy.JPG
365 - Copy.JPG
372 - Copy.JPG
As I packed up the car a Purple Hairstreak did a brief fly over as if to wish me farewell. A cracking day and now I know how easy it is to get here return visits are a definite.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots of the Puss Moth cat Wurzel - they are amazing creatures aren't they? Did you know that they can squirt formic acid at predators :shock:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Wurzel,
Fabulous report and images from Chiddingfold Forest. The Wood Whites certainly were worth the effort.
I always look forward to my visits to BB.in July, For high summer species there's no place like it.
Strange that your Satnav sent you to the M3 though.

All the best,
TREVOR.

David M

Post by David M »

Your image of the Wood White preparing to land on a thistle head is particularly glorious, Wurzel.

Great shot!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Wood Whites, Wurzel. I shall definitely visit Chiddingfold for the second brood again. And that caterpillar is amazing. :o :)

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great that you bit the bullet and visited deepest Surrey Wurzel, lovely Wood White shots :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Wurzel, I envy you your Wood White shots, it's( wish I'd taken them time) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
May be I'll see them next time. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline :D Ididn't know that they could do that - what with Adders, Hornets, Horseflies and now formic acid squirting cats Botany Bay is sounding almost as lethal as the Antipodean one! :shock: :lol:
Cheers Trevor :D Defineitely a 'worth it' species :D My SatNav does seem to have a penchant for the M3 and any time I head East it directs me to it :?
Cheers David :D I was dead chuffed with that shot as it was the only one out of 40 or so that cae out anywhere near decent :shock:
Cheers Dave :D The cat was a great find, one I've always wanted to see
Cheers Mike :D It wasn't too bad a journey really especially with the Wood Whites as a reward :D
Cheers Goldie :D Go for it/them next year, they're a great species to see :D

Laverstock Down 30-07-2015

Another Thursday, another two tutor sessions and so another opportunity to get up the Down. As things were busy at home I didn’t get to the morning session and so instead made damn sure that I could get out.

I only got as far as the fallen Holly bushes as something a little like a bird dropping caught my eye. At first glance it was just a bird poo streaked leaf. Second glance it didn’t look exactly right and finally it became a Red Admiral, wings tightly closed. I spent some time admiring the markings that appeared almost ultra-violet in colour.
024 - Copy.JPG
As I headed on my way I started to motor on as I realised that I’s spent too long with the Red Admiral. As I stomped on I saw all the usual butterflies but I’d decided to just get to the Chalkhills. So this I did only finding a couple where they had been before I was able to get in really close to one individual and then it was gone, nipping off.
042 - Copy.JPG
052 - Copy.JPG
055 - Copy.JPG
I trailed back over the top and down the other-side before making my way back to pick up K. I did stop briefly to take a few shots of the Down. The first shows the main body of the Down with the path that skirts the farmer’s field and the Fallen Holly bush on the left with the path leading into the screen. Over the Down and further along is where the Chalkhills and DGFs were found. Apparently it used to feature a Pandas head back in the 1970's, a student prank :?
067 - Copy.JPG
The second shows the main part of the Down which was where I spent most of my time earlier in the season and produced my first Marbled White and Small Heaths.
068 - Copy.JPG
The final one shows the main path up to the Down that I used on all my early forays. The small patch of longer grass towards the bottom and on the right of the shot is where my first Ringlets and Small Skippers came from. The path carries on to the left and eventually runs up to the Down coming in on the right hand side of the previous photo.
072 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel
Your Laverstock Down site looks great. Is this the downs you can see behind the schools? I occasionally visit this area for work. I have often wondered what delights are to be found up there, but of course I never have time to stop :( .......One day maybe.
Looking forward to seeing your reports from the Czech Republic :D
Lovely Wood Whites as well, not yet seen these myself

David M

Post by David M »

jackz432r wrote: Looking forward to seeing your reports from the Czech Republic :D
Me too.

When can we expect them, Wurzel?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

David M wrote:
jackz432r wrote: Looking forward to seeing your reports from the Czech Republic :D
Me too.

Probably about March! :wink: :lol: Seriously, that's a great underside shot of the RA Wurzel - you have captured the stunning colours which I have never been able to do :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots as usual Wurzel, love the Admiral Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:
David M wrote:
Me too.

Probably about March! :wink: :lol: Seriously, that's a great underside shot of the RA Wurzel - you have captured the stunning colours which I have never been able to do :mrgreen:
You have to catch them 'fresh out the box' to use a Wurzelism to get those colours!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Paul :D You're right Laverstock is the hill behind the schools and is well worth a check if you get the chance :D
Cheers David :D I'm working on sorting the shots out and my real problem is that I have some Ringlets to identify :? But also bear in mind I probably only had a 12 new species from the holiday, nowhere near the 100 plus you managed to rack up :mrgreen: ...
Cheers Pauline :D I think it was 'mint' as the liquid on the leaf behind it is merconium :)
Cheers Goldie for your kind comment :D
Cheers Buggy :D I have started work on a Wurzel/English dictionary and now it seems I could porduce a Wurzel Quotation Dictionary :wink: :lol:

Broughton Down 31-07-2015

The final day in July and less than a week since my first visit but the weather looked to be better today with much more sun. Hopefully I thought this would mean more Silver Spots...
This time we walked further through the woodland at the top of the Down and came out at the ‘proper’ entrance. This proved to be much easier as now I stepped from the wood into Skipper territory immediately.
075 - Copy.JPG
081 - Copy.JPG
084 - Copy.JPG
102 - Copy.JPG
106 - Copy.JPG
Once the girls were set up in the shade I started wandering the main path and along the rabbit runs picking up Silver Spots every 5 metres or so. It was as I’d hoped; more sun had equalled more Silver Spots. There were also Brown Argus and a couple of Common Blues around amongst the Meadow Browns plus the occasional faded DGF contrasted nicely with the fresh looking Peacocks and Brimstones. All in all it was a glorious way to spend a lunch time.
117 - Copy.JPG
147 - Copy.JPG
I completed a few circuits of this area and then started investigating other areas of the reserve, always coming back to check the girls and keeping within earshot of their calls of ‘Wurzel’! In this way I was able to check out the steep down side, some of the lower areas and also the further end of the reserve. By far the best area for Silver Spots was undoubtedly just off the main path at the top of the Down. It was here that I was able to get really close to a Silver Spot.
169 - Copy.JPG
193 - Copy.JPG
209 - Copy.JPG
Whilst making the last and final recce I found myself on a small mound that afforded me views across most of the site (which will make that perfect ’base’ on future visits). Here I made two observations. The first was my only Chalkhill sighting of both visits and the second was of an unsuccessful courtship attempt. I stumbled across a lovely looking female when another Silver Spot buzzed in. There was a brief tussle and then both plopped back down. From the open wings I could see that one was a male and he edged up to the female bending is abdomen around as he did so. The female didn’t seem interested yet didn’t move from the spot. Instead she started to open her wings up to rebuff the male. He didn’t give up though and eventually ended up standing on the females back. Finally he seemed to get the message and he was off in a blue presumably to try his luck elsewhere.
245 - Copy.JPG
247.JPG
273 - Copy.JPG
Happy with all that I had seen I picked up the girls and we set off to Mottisfont. This time we headed straight to the ice-creams and approached the fishing hut through the fields. On the way I had to stop because of a lush Brown Argus. Surrounding it were numerous Common Blues – finally living up to their name. Various other butterflies and insects were seen but now I just relaxed while the girls played.
296 - Copy.JPG
305 - Copy.JPG
325 - Copy.JPG
333 - Copy.JPG
Another brill day – Lulworth next time?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Skippers, Wurzel. It's good to go back a month in time and see them fresh again. :) Great classic scabious poses and the head-on shots - not so much cute teddy-bear, more like cuddly hamster! :) And that female Brown Argus is a splendid insect. Those spots are real vermilion red, not just orange.

Dave

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

I agree with Dave, lovely Silver Spotted Skippers :D That 2nd one is 'just right' I managed to completely miss them this year :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You and me too Jack, lovely SSS Wurzel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I like the Brown Argus too, that's one I did manage to get this year after missing it last year, so who knows may do the same with SSS next year :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely, fresh looking specimens for the time of year, Wurzel.

I feel a bit guilty for having 'dipped out' on Silver Spotted Skippers in the UK this year.

I'll have to make up for that in 2016!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D There was something about the light that day it made everything that extra bit special :D
Cheers Paul :D Broughton Down is a little gem of a site and much easier to 'work' than Stockbridge :)
Cheers Goldie :D I'm sure you'll get onto them next year, fingers crossed for you :D
Cheers David :D Good luck with the Silver-spots next year :D

September 2015

So not only am I behind with my PD but I'm also behind with the calendar as well :oops:
9 Sep.tif
Only a month behind now though...

Day out by the sea...Part 1 - 02-08-2015

This wasn’t really supposed to be a full on trip. As we were heading to Czech we wouldn’t be able to have our usual week camping at Downshay. To make up for this I’d promised the girls a trip to the beach and so as Lulworths were still on my and Philzoids hit-list I thought I’d combine a trip to Studland with a Lulworth site. So on a beautiful sunny day we set off cross country with me cheering as we crossed back into the Wurzel homeland of Dorset. :D

Once at Studland we parked up near the Discovery Centre as it meant keeping away from the Grockles :wink: and while the girls slapped on suncream and played on the rope swing I checked out the small Buddleia bush at the front. It was acting like a magnet for butterflies and I managed to count a total of 10 species on this one bush over the time I spent here. At first there was a single Small Tort amongst 2 Peacocks and 5 Red Admirals with a few Graylings skipping around the Heather and the boardwalk. As I watched something silvery glided in – a White Admiral. I was just getting over this unexpected visitor when I spied a Painted Lady too.
008 - Copy (2).JPG
017 - Copy (2).JPG
041 - Copy (2).JPG
054 - Copy (2).JPG
After paddling, sand castle building and pebble/sea glass seeking we headed back to the Discovery Centre to make use of the shade and the picnic benches. I had lunch properly with the girls for once and instead mooched around between sips of coffee. All the usual suspects from before were present with a second Painted Lady, a battered Silver-washed Fritillary, Meadow Browns and a pair of Hedge Browns adding to the Buddleia tally. The occasional Grayling would land on the bush too before nipping off and blending in with the decked veranda or cladding. Finally a single white landed for a split second to make it an even 10 species on the one bush.
085 - Copy (2).JPG
102 - Copy (2).JPG
109 - Copy (2).JPG
I also had a quick walk around amongst the Graylings that were bedecking the decking and cladding. Some were rubbish at trying to blend in as they would forego the subtle greys and browns of the woodwork and cling to the blinding white doorframes instead? :roll:
115 - Copy (2).JPG
124 - Copy (2).JPG
157 - Copy (2).JPG
180 - Copy (2).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”