Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Maximus

Post by David M »

Whilst not an out and out Painted Lady 'year', this species seems to be fairly widespread in 2015. I shall keep a sharp eye out for it over the coming weeks.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some really lovely shots there Mike of Painted Lady. I must try to pay that site another visit as it seems to be delivering quite regularly :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,,

A lovely selection of Painted Ladies, I particularly like the first one with the dark markings. Also the beautiful Peacock in the previous post :D

Cheers,

Neil

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Dave, the first Painted Lady was beautifully marked, which you spotted straight away :)

Glad you liked the last one Wurzel, it was great against the sky :)

Definitely not the Painted Lady year that was forecast, David, but there a quite a few about none the less :wink:

As you've shown with your photos, Pauline, MHD is a great site to visit at any time :D

Thanks Neil, the first Painted Lady had very dark markings and was a real stunner :) so was the Peacock :D

In addition to the Painted Ladies, we also saw the following species during our recent visit to Magdalen Hill Down.

Male Small Blue
Male Small Blue
Female Small Blue on Kidney Vetch
Female Small Blue on Kidney Vetch
Second brood Small Blues, including two mating pairs
Second brood Small Blues, including two mating pairs
P1210404.Resize.JPG
Plenty of second brood Holly Blue  - but hard to get any shots
Plenty of second brood Holly Blue - but hard to get any shots
Mating Gatekeepers
Mating Gatekeepers
Red Admiral - var. bialbata
Red Admiral - var. bialbata

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Returning from a short break, (non butterfly), we discovered that our garden was host to some second generation Holly Blues. I don't find it particularly easy to get good photos of them as they're always so active, but did manage a few shots. There were both male and female present, but they were not keen to open their wings as the weather was never quite right. They were nectaring on both bramble and another small shrub which has just begun flowering in our garden, not sure what it is!

P1200911.Resize.JPG
P1200929.Resize.JPG
P1200919.Resize.JPG
P1210528.Resize.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Holly Blues Max and your Small Blues are great too, I don't think I've seen mating Gate Keepers before at least since I've been home they've put in an appearance so I'll look more closely.Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fabulous Holly Blue shots Mike. I love the one on the blackberry - very autumnal. Your shots are always so well composed with backgrounds which complement :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Goldie, there's still plenty of Gatekeepers around, so you've still time to see a mating pair this year :D

Thanks Pauline, autumn is not that far off now :roll: It was great to bump into you today, (for the first time this year), I didn't see your comment until this evening. What a brilliant chat Cathy and I had with you at Noar regarding all things lep :wink: :D

From the weekend

Common Blue male in  the *@%ssing rain on Friday
Common Blue male in the *@%ssing rain on Friday

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Mike - great Blues - Small, Holly and he last one the Common looks like it's almost crying in the rain :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the colour of the Common Blue Mike Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Some great Small and Holly Blue photos there Mike! :D I liked your sequence of Painted Ladies too.

All the best

James

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, the Common Blue was crying in the rain, so was I :wink: :D

Common Blues are underrated Goldie, they're beautiful butterflies :D

Thanks James :D a couple more painted Ladies to follow :)

On a recent visit to Noar Hill, our first for a while, we bumped into Pauline at the top of the track. After a quick chat and catch up we headed into the reserve looking for Brown Hairstreaks. It wasn't long before we saw one in flight but that was it, however another enthusiast showed us a photo of a male taken on his mobile, which we had just missed :roll: Fortunately Noar Hill supports a fabulous variety of butterfly species so we relaxed and just enjoyed some of these :) Brown Hairstreaks seem to be emerging later this year, so we'll make a return visit very soon, weather permitting?

Very few Brimstones compared to last year
Very few Brimstones compared to last year
Obliging Small Heath - up off the ground for once!
Obliging Small Heath - up off the ground for once!
Meadow Brown, chilled for a change
Meadow Brown, chilled for a change
Red Admirals seen in low numbers this year
Red Admirals seen in low numbers this year
Common Blue mating pair
Common Blue mating pair
The first Small Blue I've ever seen at Noar Hill!
The first Small Blue I've ever seen at Noar Hill!
Fresh Essex Skipper
Fresh Essex Skipper
P1210613.Resize.JPG
Two lovely Painted Ladies, the second one really fresh, however the promised 'invasion' has yet to happen!
Two lovely Painted Ladies, the second one really fresh, however the promised 'invasion' has yet to happen!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Lovely selection of summer species, and images to match. BHS. has avoided me this year too.
For me Red Admiral sightings have been average, but Small Tortoiseshell only seen in low numbers.

Good BHS.hunting :D
TREVOR.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Trevor, I know you've seen them now :D

On another visit to Noar Hill last Friday in search of Brown Hairstreaks we bumped into Pauline at the bottom of the track. As we chatted a BH flew over our heads and settled on some Cow parsley on the other side of the lane. Pauline tried for a shot but a wasp disturbed the BH and it disappeared over the hedge never to be seen again! Pauline told us that she had seen seven BH during the morning and this was her eighth! She then went off for some refreshment, (it was a very hot day), before heading home, and we headed up into the site. Although we searched for five hours we saw no more BH but at least we did see plenty of other beautiful butterflies.

A rare sight for us in the second half of 2015
A rare sight for us in the second half of 2015
P1210160.Resize.JPG
Painted Ladies, we've seen a few this year
Painted Ladies, we've seen a few this year
P1210806.Resize.JPG
Brimstone numbers appear to be building
Brimstone numbers appear to be building
Surprise of the day for us was this mating pair of SWF!
Surprise of the day for us was this mating pair of SWF!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photos especially the mating pair Mike Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Carcking shots Mike :D :mrgreen: Silver-washed do seem to be holding on this year whereas the Small Tortoiseshells seem to have disappeared :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Goldie, we were surprised by the mating pair, as it was quite late in the season :)

Thanks Wurzel, SW Frits are doing ok this year, but Small Torts are very thin on the ground :?

Especially for Jamie Burston, I finally found the record shot of our only reared Purple Hairstreak of 2015, a female, in the rearing cage just before release.

P1190895 -Resize.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful specimen.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Maximus wrote:Especially for Jamie Burston, I finally found the record shot of our only reared Purple Hairstreak of 2015, a female, in the rearing cage just before release.
Thank you so much Mike! That just made my day :D What a beauty, really stunning with the glossy sheen, great job!

To answer your question about the flowering plant in the garden with the Holly Blue, it is a Snowberry bush. I found out from Susie that females will also lay their eggs on it, with it being a great year for them it might be worth checking for emerging larva.

Many thanks, Jamie

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Purple Hair Streak Max , love it Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”