Meet The Elephant Hawkmoth.

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Cotswold Cockney

Meet The Elephant Hawkmoth.

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

A close relative knowing my interest in anything Lepidoptera related, saves various articles which appear in the Daily Telegraph. That newspaper does appear to have a much higher input about butterflies, moths and anything with some Natural History content which is obviously a good thing. Helps spread the good word.

The attached link involves one of the most informative ( informative for gardeners who do not have an in depth knowledge of those unseen visitors to their gardens ) about one of my favourite Buitterflies and Moths. Never seen one in my garden but I know they are there as I've found their larvae. So too have near neighbours who grow many varieties of Fuchsias ... :)

A good read :~ http://www.pressreader.com/uk/gardening ... 5/TextView

Apart from the Hummingbird Hawk, the only flying Hawkmoth I've ever seen in my garden is a female Poplar Hawk at dusk laying ova on my Lombardy Poplars. Populus nigra var italica. Twenty foot high saplings grown from cuttings. I used to rear Apaturinae butterflies on them in the past.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
MikeOxon

Re: Meet The Elephant Hawkmoth.

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi CC, your link doesn't work for me, using Firefox on a PC. Perhaps this is the article you referred to?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/ga ... arden.html
Cotswold Cockney

Re: Meet The Elephant Hawkmoth.

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Hi Mike,

Doesn't work for me now either ... :( Thanks for the different link.

It's not exactly the same article as my original link but the content is much the same in yours.

I particularly liked the image of this fabulous moth feeding from Honeysuckle whilst on the wing. Something most Hawkmoths are able to do magnificently. This image :~

The verbal content of Ken Thompson's item shows a good depth of insight of the subject. Including that not all adult Hawkmoths need to feed. Good to see that in a gardening journalist.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”