Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie :D I should think the Scotch Argus will still be flying up at Arnside for a while so you would still have time to see them when you have got over your jetlag from going south :wink:

Wednesday 12th August – Aston Rowant part 1.

On Wednesday I had a day’s holiday from work and took a drive down the M40 to Aston Rowant. This site is one of my favourites and I usually take a trip down at the end of July or early August to see Chalkhill Blues and Silver-spotted Skippers. This year I had not yet managed to make it down there and due to various family stuff and jobs on the house over the next couple of weeks, this week was my only realistic chance.
I left Solihull just before 07.30 under clear blue skies and after a steady drive down arrived at the north side of Aston Rowant around 09.00. I had driven into a band of cloud on the way down the motorway which, by the time I was on the slopes of the reserve had turned into a continuous layer of overcast. Nevertheless, the air temperature was already around 16 or 17 degrees and Meadow Browns were up and about, closely followed at around 09.30 by Gatekeepers, Small and Essex Skippers and the first Chalkhill Blues.

I had thought that under the cloud I could find some roosting Chalkhills to take photos of but they obviously had other ideas as more and more of them took to the wing along the slopes. During the first hour or so many of the males posed nicely on the clumps of wild marjoram as they fuelled up before setting off on their low level fluttering in search of females.
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
There were just as many females about, either feeding on the wild herbs or basking lower down in the grass or on the paths where they were far less obvious.
Chalkhill Blue female - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
By 10.00 the overcast was thinning a bit and the sun was making its presence felt through the clouds and Silver-spotted Skippers were starting to become active. I soon started to see males chasing after females and watched a number of courtship attempts where a male would shuffle closer to a female only to have her edge away a few times before finally flying off in a quick blur leaving the male behind looking all rejected.
Silver-spotted Skipper pair - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Silver-spotted Skipper pair - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Silver-spotted Skipper - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
By late morning the sun was breaking through occasionally and the slopes were alive with butterflies, the most obvious being the loads of Chalkhill Blues but also with large numbers of Silver-spotted Skippers and Meadow Browns. Along the hedge line at the lower slopes were Gatekeepers, Peacocks, Brimstones, Large, Small and Green-veined whites and a couple of Small Tortoiseshells.

A dozen or so each of Common Blues and Brown Argus were also seen scattered about plus two Small Coppers along the path down to the lower gate.
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Common Blue - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Common Blue - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Small Copper - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Small Copper - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
The slopes of Aston Rowant north side
The slopes of Aston Rowant north side
Looking down across the lower slopes
Looking down across the lower slopes
Every time I have visited this site I have seen a Kestrel or two hovering over the slopes and this time one perched for a while in the lower tree line where I managed to get a couple of long distance shots.
Kestrel - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
Kestrel - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
After enjoying the morning on the north side of the reserve I went back to the car and went across the M40 to spend a couple of hours on the south side.

To be continued…

Neil.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Neil, looking forward to the next batch Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 12th August – Aston Rowant part 2.

After spending the morning on the north side of Aston Rowant as described in the previous report, I drove over to the other side of the M40 to spend a couple of hours at the south side. Parking in the Cowleaze Wood car park, I crossed the road and followed the path through the gates to the left and onto the south facing slopes of Bald Hill.
The weather conditions were still mostly overcast but with temperature in the high teens and the occasional spell of sun pushing it into the twenties, there were plenty of butterflies flying.
All the species seen on the north side were flying here with the addition of a couple of faded Marbled Whites and a few Small Heaths, neither of which I had seen during the morning on the north side. Further along the slopes and around the end of the hill where you can look over to Beacon Hill on the north side there were loads of Silver-spotted Skippers, there seemed to be higher numbers here although I did not do an accurate count.
Looking across the M40 towards Beacon Hill form Bald Hill
Looking across the M40 towards Beacon Hill form Bald Hill
Looking south-west from Bald Hill.
Looking south-west from Bald Hill.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
On the other hand, Chalkhill Blue numbers seemed to be lower on this side although that was still relative with dozens here, just fewer compared to the hundreds on the north side.
Chalkhill Blues (and a Common Blue) - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Chalkhill Blues (and a Common Blue) - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Chalkhill Blue female - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Chalkhill Blue female - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
One particular male struck me as looking a bit different with a white suffusion around the edges of all his wings.
Underside of the individual above.
Underside of the individual above.
All three Common whites, Brimstones and Common Blues were widespread across the slopes along with half a dozen or so Brown Argus, but no Small Coppers were seen on this side.
Common Blue - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Common Blue - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant South 12.08.2015

Bernwood Meadows.

Later in the afternoon I left Aston Rowant and headed back up the M40 and towards Bernwood Meadows, a little detour that I usually do when down this way. I arrived at the small car park at the Meadows at around 4.15pm and wandered straight down the narrow meadow to check out the ‘Purple Hairstreak tree’ at the end. This tree is a straggly hawthorn that was originally written about in a report on UKB by Michael Field in 2011 and where he had found a number of Purples Hairstreaks. I had also seen PHs in this hawthorn a couple of times including last year when I watched some fascinating behaviour and got some good photos.
Sure enough, as I approached the hawthorn I could see a number of small silvery shapes fluttering about around the higher reaches of the 12-15 foot high tree. They were difficult to count as they kept landing and walking around amongst the higher branches but I reckon there were 6-8 individuals in this small area. None of them came any lower than about 7 or 8 feet up but I managed a few shots by stretching up and holding my FZ200 above my head and using its vari-angle screen.
Purple Hairstreak - Bernwood Meadows 12.08.2015
I spent some time just watching the PHs and at one point noticed that one of them looked different. It was hard to tell when silhouetted against the sky but a good view through my binoculars confirmed my suspicion that it was a Brown Hairstreak. It looked a little worse for wear with some damage on the hindwings near the tails and the end of one antenna missing but as far as I was concerned it was the sighting of the day. As with the PHs, it spent all its time around the higher branches but I managed to get a few long distance shots as it shuffled about on the branches.
Brown Hairstreak - Bernwood Meadows 12.08.2015
The shot below shows how well they can blend in with dead leaves, especially when in a bit of shadow. I brightened this shot to bring the butterfly out a bit and noticed a wasp that I did not see at the time I took the shot..
Other butterflies seen around the meadows were the usual Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers, Common Blues and some skippers including a single faded ‘Large’. A single Comma and a faded female Silver-washed Fritillary brought my tally for the day up to 22 species seen both here and earlier at Aston Rowant.

With my tired old legs starting to feel the strain of being on them all day, I then set out for the drive home.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I love those BH shots Neil. I saw one in 'sightings' and have been waiting to comment on them :D I love the composition, the background colours, everything complements the butterfly - you have captured a lot of its character, especially with the camouflage one. There is a very Autumnal feel about them, very seasonal and I just love them :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

David M

Post by David M »

That's an epic report, Neil. I'm particularly amazed at the sighting of a Large Skipper. Even Small Skippers have now disappeared from my part of the world.

I too remember well Michaeljf's post regarding the Purple Hairstreak sightings in Bernwood Meadows.

I'm glad you got to see a few and even more delighted that betulae put in an appearance too!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've got a lot of catching up to do Neil. Cracking series of shots Neil of the Skippers and both Hairstreaks :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A brilliant day, Neil. I wish I could have done the same. I had to drive past Aston Rowant twice today (under dark cloud both times), and thinking about what was around up there was most distracting... And the hairstreak shots from Bernwood are excellent too! :)

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thank you Pauline :D there was a bit of luck involved in getting the BH shots as I held my camera at arms length above my head and used the vari-angle screen to try and line up the shot as it shuffled about.

Thanks David :D , the weather this year has led to a late season in general and some species seem to be having a more protracted emergence. The previous week I was still seeing fresh looking Essex Skippers locally and the Smalls were still in fairly good condition although the few remaining Large Skippers were tired and worn.

Cheers Wurzel, looking forward to you catching up on your continental adventure :D

Thanks Dave, I was well tired by the end of the day after walking up and down the slopes of both sides of the reserve but I had that happy feeling you get after a really good day :D

Monday 17th August

With a couple of bigger jobs to do in the house this weekend I didn't get out anywhere and with it being mostly dull and cloudy there wasn't that much butterfly activity in the garden. During the occasional brighter spell the usual whites and Holly Blues would wander through and there was a Speckled Wood or two in the usual corners.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 16.08.2015
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 16.08.2015
This afternoon (Monday) it was a bit brighter and warmer when I got in from work and there were a steady procession of whites passing through, mostly Green-veined it seemed by the ones that I got a close enough look at.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 17.08.2015
At least three different male Specklies in varying condition were contesting two favourite spots, with all three of them taking up a position in each spot at some point.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 17.08.2015
Looks like another generally cloudy week ahead, that has been the overwhelming impression of this year so far...loads of cloud along with a blustery wind.

Bye for now.

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice PH and BH shots from Bernwood Neil :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots from Bernwood Neil, you certainly had a great day :D Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Neil Freeman wrote:Looks like another generally cloudy week ahead, that has been the overwhelming impression of this year so far...loads of cloud along with a blustery wind.

Bye for now.

Neil.
The poor weather certainly hasn't stopped you from posting a huge number of high quality photos along side some very interesting reports Neil. You've covered an impressive amount of different species this year as well! Your diary has been a joy to look at. I'm already looking forward to your adventures next year. :D

All the best

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My apologies for the delay in responding, it has been a busy week and my youngest son was back home for a few days and pretty well took over my PC.

Thanks Mike, really appreciate your comment :D .
Thanks Goldie, it certainly was a great day, I was tired but very happy :D
Thanks James, I am glad you enjoy my diary :D . I prefer days of mixed cloud and sun but this year the balance has tipped the cloudy way a bit too often…and as for the almost ever present wind. Nevertheless, as you say, I reckon I have had a generally good season so far…and hopefully there is more to come yet before it is over.

Saturday 22nd August.

After a mostly cloudy week, Saturday arrived with the promise of a bit of sun, albeit with the threat of thunderstorms heading in later in the afternoon and evening. As usual I had a couple of hours spare in the afternoon, not long enough to go far but plenty of time for a nice wander around one of my local spots.
I had not yet found any Small Coppers this year at Castle Hills near Solihull so decided to go and a have a look around there to see if I could find any. By this time it had become quite humid with plenty of cloud cover but also some good spells of warm sun.

At the beginning of one of the footpaths that cross this site there is a patch of waste ground with a long bank of earth by where it looks like a trench had been dug at some point. This bank of earth is about five feet high and has lots of knapweed growing along the sides and top and going over for a look I soon noticed at least half a dozen Peacocks along with some Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and all three common whites, with Common Blues, Small and Essex Skippers and a couple of Small Heaths in the long grass at the foot of the bank.
Sunny bank with lots of knapweed
Sunny bank with lots of knapweed
I then spotted a Painted Lady, the first one I have seen locally this year although I did see a number in Cornwall back in June. All of these butterflies were quite active in the warm conditions and as I was trying to line up a shot on the Painted Lady another one flew into view and then another one until I had three Painted Ladies in view at the same time. I spent some time taking photos of these, two of which spent some time on the knapweed feeding, but the third one didn’t settle for more than a second or two and spent most of its time flying at high speed up and down along the top of the bank.
Painted Lady - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
A bit later I also saw what could have been a fourth individual across the other side of the field, but it could also possibly have been one of the original three, most likely the one that wouldn’t settle.

I then carried on along the footpaths to see what else I could find. Good numbers of Common Blues were about plus a few more Peacocks, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and ‘Whites’ plus a couple of Brimstones.
Even though I know it is a generally late season, I was surprised to see how many Skippers were still about, both ‘Small’ and ‘Essex’ in varying condition from really old and faded to some that looked just slightly worn.
Lots of butterflies in this sheltered corner
Lots of butterflies in this sheltered corner
Brimstone getting stuck in...
Brimstone getting stuck in...
Essex Skipper - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
Common Blue - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
Common Blue female - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
Common Blue female - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
I don’t think that I have ever been to this site without having a Buzzard or two circling around overhead and sure enough there were a couple today, even at times when I couldn’t see them I could hear them calling to each other.
Buzzard calling overhead
Buzzard calling overhead
I was also well chuffed to find a few Small Coppers scattered about, 4 individuals all of which I believe were females. The two I managed to photograph were both female and I believe the others were also by their size and the way they kept moving and not returning to favourite perches as males do, although I could not get close enough to be absolutely sure.
Small Copper - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
The second one was in a totally different part of the site but by coincidence I took a couple of very similar shots...
I had spotted some very dark ominous looking clouds heading my way and as I was taking some photos of the last Small Copper their arrival overhead was announced by a roll of thunder and some drops of rain. I decided to take cover under some nearby trees and was just about to reach them when I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell and couldn’t resist stopping to take a couple of shots.
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 22.08.2015
The heavens then opened and I legged it under the trees to shelter from the deluge. I stayed under the trees for about fifteen minutes whilst the rain came down like stair rods, accompanied by rolls of thunder. By this time it was getting on for 5.00pm so as the thunder clouds moved on and the rain eased a bit I started to make my way back. Even now it was still warm and humid and with some light rain still in the air I saw some Meadow Browns, Skippers and even a few Common Blues still flying as I walked back.

A great couple of hours in which not only did I find my target for the afternoon (Small Coppers), but I also saw more Painted Ladies in one little spot than I have seen locally for the past few years :D .

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fabulous shots of the Painted Lady undersides Neil - comes into the category of 'wish I'd taken them'. Great Buzzard too - if I could take shots like that it would have saved many helpful folk from agonizing over my rubbish silhouettes trying to come up with ID's :roll:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Lots of splendid shots recently, especially those Painted Lady undersides - so much more spectacular than their plainer ups. I thought you did very well with those Brown Hairstreaks, using the tilting screen and maximum zoom - I know how tricky it can be in such circumstances :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Couple of good reports with some excellant photos, I do like that Brimstine vanishing into the Bindweed flower! :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent late season stuff there, Neil. I'm particularly envious of your Brimstone which is a species I haven't seen for several weeks now!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Neil seems to have several species still going which have gone from the south- the skippers have gone from here,and Peacocks have already gone into hibernation.

Lovely images,as always. Lovely Painted Ladies Neil and great report from Aston Rowant-aren't Silver-spotted Skippers fantastic little critters?

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I also agree with your sentiments regarding the summer weather. My impression is it's been rather cloudy,but otherwise not too bad. A dry start,rainfall has gradually increased,as it often does as we go through summer, indeed for East Anglia August is the wettest month of the year. And that looks like being borne out this week!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, great shots of the painted Lady, I'm still waiting for the Small Copper to show up here, your pic's of them are lovely , I also love the shot of the Essex Skippers Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Painted Ladies Neil, especially those gorgeous underside shots :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”