Sardinia

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Tony Moore

Sardinia

Post by Tony Moore »

Just back from a week in Sardinia, where I managed to escape the beach a couple of times and look for 'flies... It was a bit late in the season, and I failed dismally to find any of the endemics, despite a day in the Genargentu Mountains. Away from the coast, there was plenty of stuff flying around, but nothing really special.

Loads of Cardinals and SWFs:
1-DSC06380_edited-1.jpg
I think this is S. s. therapne. It was very tiny and jewel like, but this was the only shot (heavily cropped) that I was able to get :
4-DSC06383_edited-1.jpg

Around our hotel - near Oristano on the west coast - I was surprised to see Geranium Bronze in good numbers. My books all suggest that it hasn't reached Sardinia yet!!
5-DSC06431_edited-1 - best .jpg
This was a close as I could get to a few rather bigger flyers on the local lagoon:
3-DSC06368_edited-1.jpg
There were a few Swallowtails floating around the Lantana, but sadly, no hospiton at sea level:
1-DSC06336_edited-1.jpg

A few 'Blues' including L. boeticus, Common Blue and L. pirithous:
2-DSC06333_edited-1.jpg

A few Hummingbird Hawkmoths were also seen around the Lantana:
1-DSC06327_edited-1.jpg

It is a stunning island, with loads of interest, but would be better for butterflyers in June/July.

Tony M.
nomad

Re: Sardinia

Post by nomad »

Tony. Some lovely species with some super images. As you mentioned it was getting late in the season for the endemics.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Geranium Bronze expanding ?
Nice report Tony.
Chris
web4160

Post by web4160 »

We were last in Sardinia about 5 years ago. Saw a number of Geranium Bronze then particularly in Santa Teresa on the North coast.

Return to “Overseas”