Has spring arrived?

Discussion forum for sightings.
jellyang

Has spring arrived?

Post by jellyang »

We have had a beautiful sunny day in Norfolk today.

My first 2008 butterfly made an appearance.

A Brimstone fluttered round me , mistaking my orange t-shirt for a nectar source. Once it realised I was of no value to it off it went refusing to hang around for the photo shoot that I had planned!!

A bumble bee & a Ladybird also made brief appearances but also seemed to be camera shy!

Still it made me happy to see those little glimpses of the New Season ahead. :D

Angie
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Has spring arrived?

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Spring arrived for me this morning, well for at least a couple of hours.
Just going out of Salisbury I saw my first Brimstone of the year.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Me too - saw a female Brimstone in my garden at midday - first of the year!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris

Post by Chris »

Still rubbish oopt North... not a single butterfly in 08, yet!

However, the reptiles have been a little more kind and I've seen adder, slow worm and common lizard.

The fieldfare and redwing have gone from the back field, the curlew have been piping, the robins have been fighting and the sparrows are stuffing my gutters with small twigs so Spring is definitely coming.
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
freeway

Post by freeway »

A month ago i saw a few small tortoise shells out in the sunshine....
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'd begun to think the seasons were going backwards this week. The fieldfare returned to the field, the curlews have stopped piping and we had snow for 5 consecutive days! However, today I went for a walk along the disused railway and saw not one, not two, but three Small Tortoiseshell! About jeffing time! My first butterflies of the year.
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Martin

Post by Martin »

Saw my third species of the year today...a Brimstone flying across a London suburb High street!

Martin.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Still nothing near me!!!! :x
ianc

Post by ianc »

A beautiful afternoon here in Cumbria but no sign of any Butterflies yet,though I have seen Honey Bees and white tailed Bumble Bees.
Ian
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Woo-hoo! Went out this afternoon to test drive a new zoom lens, expecting only to find birds really, but was very pleasantly surprised to find 2 comma butterflies chasing a peacock butterfly in the warm sunshine. Snap of one of the Commas below. Also saw a brimstone. All were seen at Madingley Hall near Cambridge.

British Summer Time is here !!!! :D

Trev
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

There is a sheltered spot near home in South Cambs where I can virtually guarantee to see a Comma in early spring. Today there was one basking within 3 or 4 metres of the same spot used this time last year and the previous year. The individual butterflies seem to remain within a small area occasionally flying but always landing quite close to the previous perch. This particular "hot spot" is conveniently within walking distance of home, but I do know of two or three other localities further away where similar behaviour has been observed.

Although a common enough species in this area, I have never seen a Comma in this particular "hot spot" at any time other than in early spring.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

jackharr wrote:There is a sheltered spot near home in South Cambs where I can virtually guarantee to see a Comma in early spring. Today there was one basking within 3 or 4 metres of the same spot used this time last year and the previous year. The individual butterflies seem to remain within a small area occasionally flying but always landing quite close to the previous perch.

Jack
Indeed - saw two Commas flying togther (mating or aggressive dance, I can't say) in the Cemetery near me yesterday; went back to same spot today and was "bombed" by one of them who obviously has staked his claim to that place, tho' it could also be that there are so few nectar sources available and he wants it for himself! Once I stood still he calmed down and started to feed....
Nick
Attachments
Graveyard_1 015 copy.jpg
Graveyard_1 015 copy.jpg (227.68 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

Another sunny day in Norfolk.
I was rewarded with 2 Small Tortoiseshells :D They were very camera shy! They quickly fled from me at a flying speed I've not witnessed before, must have just hatched with lots of energy or found a rich nectar lunch!

I may have seen a Comma too but again the flight was too fast for me to identify for certain.

Angie
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Went to Wells next Sea, North Norfolk today, on family outing.

Several Brimstones seen en-route from Cambridge and at Brancaster on the N.Norfolk coast, a Small White or GV white flew across in front of the car. Both wife and I saw it and simultaneously commented "that's not a Brimstone - its' a white". So species uncertain by most likely to have been Small rather than GV White. Whatever it was, it was my first ever "white" sighting in March.

Jack
Paul

Post by Paul »

Saw my first butterfly of 2008 today - Peacock in Richmond :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Saw my first swallow on 15th March and several of them swooping around together on 29th. They should be with you soon, if they're not there already...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sand Martins here already, by 30/3!! :)
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

3 small tortoiseshells and a peacock I saw yesterday, but they did not stop long enough to get a pic, hope weather gets better so we can see more. I even had a dream that my dad said he saw a small copper on this plant at this sea area as it was getting dark and when I went to see, it was not a small copper but an oversized brown hairstreak with wings open.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

A brimstone on the wing yesterday and sand martins over a lake at Thorpe Underwood, near York. The butterfly was my first since early November. Wonder if I can remember how to use the camera?
DJT
Denise

Post by Denise »

My first Peacock of the year today, bit like Bristol buses, wait for ages then three come together! Also two comma and a Brimstone in my garden this afternoon.

Denise

Return to “Sightings”