Jamie Burston

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jamie Burston

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

This is my first personal diary entry, I hope you enjoy the adventures and observations I share with you ....

Back on the 27th May 2015 I found a Meadow Brown larva in the back garden -
Found playing dead at the top of the garden steps.
Found playing dead at the top of the garden steps.
Soon after I relocated the larva into a clump of grass nearby.
Soon after I relocated the larva into a clump of grass nearby.
It soon became active and was on the move.
It soon became active and was on the move.
View from above.
View from above.
View from the side.
View from the side.
The Habitat.
The Habitat.
A better shot from above, it started to move down towards the house, moving from a clump of grass growing on a brick wall to another.
A better shot from above, it started to move down towards the house, moving from a clump of grass growing on a brick wall to another.
Head shot.
Head shot.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Re: Jamie Burston

Post by Pauline »

Nice find Jamie and well done with the rescue. Look forward to seeing more of your postings.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Many thanks Pauline, it's fantastic to finally join this amazing community.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice start to your diary Jamie, I look forward to more postings. I didn't manage to get a better shot of the PH pupa.

Mike

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Maximus wrote:Nice start to your diary Jamie, I look forward to more postings. I didn't manage to get a better shot of the PH pupa.Mike
Thanks Mike. How is the pupa, any change in colouration ?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice shots of the cat Jamie, keep em coming :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's beginning to darken a bit now Jamie.

Mike

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

It's been a while, I finally have something of interest to share with you :)

On the 16th August 2015 I came across this female White-letter Hairstreak nectaring on Common Ragwort, Hollingbury, Brighton. -
Female White-letter Hairstreak, Carden School playing field, 16 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG
The following day (17th August 2015) It was seen again in the same location.

Dingy Skipper seen on the 15th August 2015 at Wild Park in Brighton -
Surprise Dingy Skipper, Home Farm Rd Wild Park, 15 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG
Great abundance of Chalk Hill Blues (70 male and 31 female = 101) again on the 15th August 2015 at Wild Park in Brighton -
Male & Female Chalk Hill Blue, Home Farm Rd Wild Park, 15 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG
Additionally on the 15th August 2015 at Wild Park in Brighton I observed two female Silver-spotted Skippers egg laying, here is one of them -
Silver-spotted Skipper egg laying,  Wild Park, 15 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG
Here is a photo showing two Silver-spotted Skipper eggs, one freshly laid and another which was laid previously -
Silver-spotted Skipper eggs, Wild Park, 15 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Silver-spotted Skipper eggs, shown in greater context within habitat -
P1590361.JPG
P1590365.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Good to see you posting again Jamie, nice shots too. You were correct the PH was a female but I only took one shot of her in the breeding cage before releasing her. Will try to find the shot :wink:

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I envy your WLH Jamie, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they've alluded me up to now Goldie :D

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent stuff all round, Jamie. I'm a sucker for the immature stages, so well done on making the most of them :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Thanks Mike, I'm pleased to have something to show you. I'm surprised I got the sex of it right :lol: but it was an educated guess based on visual indicators seen on the adult butterfly, looking at the shape and form of the sexes thorax. That would be great to see, thanks for searching it out!

Hi Goldie, I was rather pleased to find this one so late in the season, I think they are generally coming to an end here in Brighton. They have had their best year here for quite some time, so pleasing to see. I'll post photos of a male and female taken at the 'famous' Hollinbury Park, that reminds me, I had a great observation of some interesting behaviour between to males.
It was sad however to find my first case of Dutch Elm Disease this year in an area at Hollingbury Park and I believe a few more had been cut down earlier in the year as the woodland edge seems to retreat! I hope you see some :)

Thank you Pete! The Silver-spotted Skippers caught me off guard, but really pleased to have been able to documented it. Did you receive my reply email concerning the removed Purple Hairstreak film ? I'd very much like to have a copy.

All the best,
Jamie

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Male White-letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury Park, 9th July 2015 -
male White-letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury Park, 9 July.JPG
Female White-letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury Park, 9th July 2015 -
female White-letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury Park, 9 July.JPG
9th July 2015, Hollingbury Park - At the low down hotspot during the course of my visit I had a total of 5 different male White-letter Hairstreaks, confirmed by closely analysing photos. Additionally I saw a single female, this being the first individual I saw down low, on Creeping Thistle. She was in an area well away from the lads, so to be left in peace, I don't blame her! As for the males, it was remarkable for the small area they would all continuously come back to, nectaring on brambles.The Main event however was when two of the males (included in the total males seen) started to dog fight at head height, right it front of us - (Douglas Neve and John was with me at the time). Suddenly one of the males broke off and landed on a bramble, the other male was hovering in flight, facing directly towards it and away from me. This meant for around 5 long seconds I could get a good look at it's deep, rich coloured upperside, stunning! The other male then took place on the same flower, they then walked over the flower head together, always walking in parallel, with one just behind. The whole event was over in a minute, however looking at the photos I took, there was some pushing going on. The male being behind was also pushing and curving it's abdomen around and towards the back of the individual in front, to me it looked like courtship and aggression! Looking at that photo (below), no wonder the females are elusive, it's a harpoon!
male White-letter Hairstreaks, what is going on! Hollingbury Park, 9 July.JPG
Both male, White-letter Hairstreaks close up!
male White-letter Hairstreaks, Hollingbury Park, 9 July.JPG
Wider view, two males showing what appeared to be aggression and courtship!
Last edited by Jamie Burston on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Today I went to my local Brown Hairstreak site and saw two females.

Female Brown Hairstreak, laden with eggs -
Brown Hairstreak (Female 2), Patcham, 22 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG
Here is one of the eggs (mother pictured above)
You get a great sense of scale when the egg is compared to the Springtail which also features in shot -
Brown Hairstreak (Female 2) egg, Patcham, 22 August. (Jamie Burston).JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photos, Jamie :D

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Following on with the Hairstreak egg theme, here are a few photos of a Purple Hairstreak egg I found at the beginning of the year, sadly it failed to hatch due to natural causes.

Purple Hairstreak egg, sense of scale -
PH Egg, Wild Park, Sunday 1st March 2015.JPG
Returning with my Macro lens I captured the following -
IMG_7920.JPG
IMG_7926.JPG

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Susie wrote:Lovely photos, Jamie :D
Thank you, much appreciated :D Do you think your make a repeat visit to Beeding cement works this year to look for Long-tailed Blue ?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Brostrak and Whitters Jamie :mrgreen: I've not had much luck with Whitters - they always seem to stay up too high for me :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Wurzel wrote:Great Brostrak and Whitters Jamie :mrgreen: I've not had much luck with Whitters - they always seem to stay up too high for me :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel! Sorry to hear, Hollingbury Park (Brighton) is a strange site in the sense that your almost guaranteed to see a White-letter Hairstreak low down, if it's sunny and there is a weak breeze you have a very strong chance. Preferable no wind at all!

All the best, Jamie

Return to “Personal Diaries”