Sightings - South Of France Part 1

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
kevling

Sightings - South Of France Part 1

Post by kevling »

My family and I were lucky enough to holiday in the South of France this year, staying outside Monaco and Cannes respectively.
Although not a butterflying holiday, good behavior and brownie points on my part did bring some opportunities for several close encounters. Although I cannot compete with David M's trip report, I did manage some exciting firsts during the fortnight.
Being a relative virgin to mainland European Butterflies, I was armed with Tristan LaFranchis' field guide whilst there, combined with Guy Padfield & Roger Gibbons excellent websites when I returned.However, I am still stumped on a quite a few so apologise in advance for any mistaken identities and subsequent requests. "It is better to have tried and failed, than to have not tried at all.
I will categorize my trip by location as opposed to species.

Eze (Monaco)
Location for our first week was up in the hills overlooking the Med. The coastal areas of the Cote d'azur can be devoid of large quantities of butterflies in the peak of summer and with no rain in 2 months the nearby woodland and scrub were parched in the intense heat. However, I found that a walk at breakfast time and early evening did yield some nice Butterflies.

Base for our first week
P144.JPG
First sighting of the year was a Gatekeeper. Following inspection of it's underside it was identified as cecilia, Southern Gatekeeper.
P7 Southern Gatekeeper - Monaco.JPG
P6 Southern Gatekeeper - Monaco.JPG
After a fruitless search for Walls in my native Suffolk this year, it was nice to see these in good numbers
P5 Wall.JPG
P380 Wall.JPG
Scarce Swallowtail were seen in good numbers throughout my holiday, in contrast to papilio machaon of which only one was seen.
P9 Scare Swallowtail - Monaco.JPG
Finally for our first base, what I believe to be a Holly Blue
P10 Holly Blue - Monaco.JPG
There is still lots to come, which I hope to upload in due course

Regards Kev Ling
Chris Jackson

Re: Sightings - South Of France Part 1

Post by Chris Jackson »

A good start, Kev. I confirm that the ratio of Scarce versus regular Swallowtails down here this year is quite high, I may even stick my neck out and suggest 10 Scarce to 1 regular in some places. Looking forward to more.
Cheers, Chris
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Kev, You could actually tell that your gatekeeper is a male cecilia because the upf brown androconial patch is transected by the orange veins, and this is not so for Gatekeeper (P.tithonus).

Roger
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

very nice pics Kev !

i have only seen one regular Swallowtail in 4 weeks, compared to 20 or so "Scarce" :?
kevling

Post by kevling »

Chris/Charles; It is interesting to hear the ratios of Swallowtails are the same across the region. I thought I was just being unlucky with the regulars.

Roger; Thanks for tip on Gatekeepers. It's so obvious once you know :D

Regards Kev

Return to “Overseas”