Skipper ID Scotland

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
owenfiggis

Skipper ID Scotland

Post by owenfiggis »

While walking my transects at Mabie Forest, Dumfries and Galloway today I came across a couple of skippers in an area I have not seen any of the locally common large skippers before. One was very worn but the other bright orange with sharp white borders. Its not a great image as it only settled for a few seconds but I'm hoping its a small skipper. If anyone can positively identify it I would be very grateful as it will be a new record for this part of Galloway. I don't think they have been recorded this far west before.

Owen
P1080526.JPG
Mark Colvin

Re: Skipper ID Scotland

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Owen,

This certainly appears to be a male Small Skipper Thymelicus sylvestris. I can't see what else it can be.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like Small Skipper to me!!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'll make that a hatrick of yes's for a Small Skipper :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
owenfiggis

Post by owenfiggis »

That's great guys. I was starting to have doubts even though I've seen plenty of these on my travels. It's great to see their march northwards is still underway.

Owen
David M

Post by David M »

I know they've encroached into SE Scotland but to see them in the western borders is highly satisfying.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Small Skipper are now one of our most commonly seen Butterflies in the south east of Scotland. It is very good news that they may be increasing in the south west. Large Skipper have always done better in the south west of Scotland, though they are very strong here in the south east ,there is a reluctance for them to push further north at the moment for whatever reason. Flight season length for Small Skipper has slightly increased over the past few years and they have pushed up into Edinburgh...at least as far as I know. I do expect them to get up into Fife soon. There is a blackhole in the central and western Borders due to under recording...I am pretty sure they must be there as well.

Iain.
owenfiggis

Post by owenfiggis »

Both small and Essex skipper have been in the Lockerbie area for a good few years but have been very slow to expand their range in contrast to the rapid colonisation of several species on the east side of the country. It seems that in the last few years in the west, species that were previously spreading such as wall brown, holly blue, speckled wood and comma have stagnated and even contracted their ranges. I saw my first wall of the year today - on the coast, whereas only two years ago they were frequently seen well inland.

Owen

Return to “Identification”