Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Pauline

Post by MikeOxon »

It seems that plants read books even less than do butterflies! In horticulture, books on optimum growing conditions often flatly contradict one another. If one grower succeeds with a particular plant, he/she writes it up as though (s)he has found the ideal conditions, whereas the poor plant had actually struggled through, despite all the mistakes :)

As Bugboy writes, nature has a way of surviving through all sorts of adverse conditions.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful Photos once again Pauline, I love the mating pair Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, I am catching up on your diary yet again. Sorry to read about foxy and I hope that Chance is soon on the mend.

Some cracking photos lately but those Wood Whites are beautiful, especially the mating pair :D

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you David and Buggy. Wood White is definitely my favourite white butterfly - they look so delicate but are obviously tough little critters and so photogenic.

That's interesting Mike. I wonder if the same applies in other fields, eg. birds.

Thank you Goldie. I saw the mating pair from a distance and at first thought it was just the one WW with its wings open, perhaps being attacked by a spider or some other predator. Happily, it wasn't :D

Thank you on both accounts Neil - Chance's foot is healing nicely but he is still missing Foxy dreadfully :( so I am spending a great deal of time with him right now. When he eventually goes to sleep it is usually for hours so yesterday I took that opportunity to get out and visit a couple of new sites.

Years ago a friend told me that there was a lovely walk from Warblington to Emsworth and I thought it was high time I checked this out. She wasn't wrong. Despite the overcast skies it was very warm and many butterflies were on the wing in fields full of Fleabane. A coastal area but sadly no Clouded Yellows spotted. I did see a very
well marked Green-veined White egg-laying and couldn't resist stopping for a few shots:
P1610650ad.jpg
P1610665ad.jpg
P1610672ad.jpg
P1610675ad.jpg
As I strolled along I passed Warblington Castle which was originally a moated manor but today consists of little more than one turret, part of the old gatehouse. The building has a significant political history dating back to the 1300's and today is Grade II listed
P1610627ad.jpg
As I approached Emsworth 3 birds (of prey?) were making quite a racket flying back and forth leading me to assume it was parents with a youngster. They flew high above the trees along the water's edge so trying to get a photo as they appeared in a gap in the canopy was nigh on impossible. I managed this single shot, a very poor silhouette which would present an ID challenge to anyone but I would be very interested to know what they were. I asked a couple of locals passing by but, although they were aware of them, they didn't know what they were.
P1610681ad.jpg
I eventually reached Emsworth and toyed with the idea of calling in to a nice little pub I know there for some lunch but I wanted to press on and have a little look at Thorney Island.
P1610705ad.jpg
By the time I reached Thorney the weather had worsened but alongside the Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns I spotted a Holly Blue and a couple of Fritillaries, DGF I think. I walked along the track just enjoying the scenery and visiting a new area. I had been to Thorney Island once before but over the other side of the island so this was all quite new:
P1610743ad.jpg
I was delighted when I stumbled across a Small Copper (well, almost stood on it actually as it was well camouflaged in the middle of the stoney track). This is only the 3rd Small Copper I have seen this season so I was very happy to spend some time with it. Although I wasn't able to get any open-wing shots as the rain was now more than a steady drizzle, I did manage a few closed wing shots:
P1610726ad.jpg
P1610731ad.jpg
P1610735ad.jpg
P1610713ad.jpg
It was time to head back. No Clouded Yellows today but I was lucky enough to bump into a very nice gentleman, Dick Senior, who described to me the best place to find them (weather permitting) and invited me to join an organised walk around the island at the weekend. An invitiation I sadly had to decline due to other commitments.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely GVW and good to see another Small Copper, I've noticed numbers seem to be recovering now after a very poor first half of their season, I saw 4 or 5 yesterday afternoon.

I think the birds of prey were probably Sparrowhawk (unless they were nearly Buzzard sized in which case they would more likley be Goshawks) :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images again, Pauline. The summer brood Green Veined Whites are beautifully marked. They're just emerging round my way and I can't wait till they hit peak numbers in a week or so.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
The first two Small Copper images are real crackers :mrgreen: , I've never found them at roost like that.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos of the Wood Whites Pauline :) great small Copper too :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Buggy. They definitely weren't as big as Buzzards. I thought I would have recognised Sparrowhawks as I get them in the garden regularly but then I was just getting the briefest of glimpses of them thru the trees so you are most likely correct :D

Thank you too David. She was very worn but so attractive I just had to take a few shots.

You are very kind Trevor and very polite. That last SC shot is out of focus with a cluttered background that is neither one thing or another (I only included it as I have seen so few SC this year) but like the gentleman you are, you chose to focus on the other images which came out OK despite the wind. Thank you.

I appreciate your comment Mike and I'm pleased you like the photos as I thoroughly enjoyed my time with both the Wood Whites and the Small Copper, despite the rain on both occasions.

With fewer (animal) responsibilities I indulged myself today and stayed out a bit longer than usual. I shall post the photos as soon as I have time but I am pleased to report that I saw not 1, but 5 Clouded Yellow. A little taster but more to follow in the next couple of days:
P1610819ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Given the impending winds from the continent over the next couple of days, one can only hope it encourages a few immigrants to head our way!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Please don't mention the weather David - I've just about had all the wind and rain I can take for one season :evil: :roll:

The sun was shining, there was no wind and I had finished my morning chores. Perfect. 21 mins later I was back at Thorney Island, hoping for an encounter with a Clouded Yellow whilst accepting I might have a 3 mile walk to the best spot. Imagine my surprise when I spooked not 1, but 2, only 50 yards up the track.
P1610822ad.jpg
P1610788ad.jpg
P1610807ad.jpg

The wind had picked up again which spoiled a fair few shots (no surprise there) and it was starting to cloud over. In my haste to make the most of the weather I failed to notice my camera was on the wrong settings so early shots had to be binned. One butterfly was in good condition but the other had a nick in its wing.
P1610752ad.jpg
P1610770ad.jpg
I decided to continue walking along the track and was surprised at the number of butterflies, especially many fresh Common Blues, some of which were really quite tiny and reminded me of those Mark and I found on Hayling Island last year. I reached the point where I saw the Small Copper the previous day but this time 2 were very evident spending most of their time quarrelling (still no blue spots tho).
P1610834ad.jpg
P1610855ad.jpg
P1610849ad.jpg
P1610904ad.jpg
One of these Blues was perilously close to this spider - I am not sure what type it is but it is a lot better than me at gift wrapping! :lol:
P1610863ad.jpg
Further along the track I spotted this moth making the most of the rapidly disappearing sun to nectar. I believe it is a Dusky sallow, thanks to William. As I took a few shots a pristine Painted Lady flew past giving me a good view but with no intention of stopping for a photoshoot.
P1610886ad.jpg
P1610891ad.jpg

This is very much MOD territory and as I reached the end of the first track , a gate with an intercom system required me to request entry but stated I should only do so if I thought I could comply with the rule not to deviate from the designated path :shock: . What if I saw a mating pair or a Large Tort just off the track???!!! :lol: :roll: Not being sure that I would be able to comply I decided to return as I had already seen my target, the Clouded Yellows. I got all the way back to the entrance – and now the wind was really strong and intermittent sun had been replaced by clouds – when I got chatting to a gentleman who described himself as the ‘ex-warden’. We discussed butterflies (naturally) especially the mass of Clouded Yellows from last year. Apparently there were 141 (he was very precise about this) but the lucerne field where they had been mating and egg-laying had been cut by the farmer. Apparently he had tried to explain the situation to the farmer who had responded along the lines that he had a living to make – understandable I guess. Anyway, during our discussion he mentioned that had I gone thru that gate and further along the sea wall (a lot further as it turned out) it was possible to see seals, providing the tide was out of course. Well, I just had to see the seals so it was all the way back up the track ..........

As I made my way back up I took shots of various butterflies including Small and Essex Skippers.
P1610877ad.jpg
P1610870ad.jpg
A total of 16 species surprised me given the weather. Once I was thru the gate it was a relief to find myself in some sheltered nooks and crannies, out of the roar of the wind. The first thing I spotted was a bird – another unidentified one I’m afraid but when it flew short distances it showed off a lovely white rump.
P1610908ad.jpg
P1610914ad.jpg
I noticed I was being followed by a dog walker which was unfortunate because shortly afterwards I came across a Clouded Yellow and a Painted Lady on the same flower. Just as I lined myself up for the shot his large black dog bounded towards me, barking loudly, and both butterflies took off. Peggy (the dog) obeyed not one command and continued to ‘dog’ me for quite some distance :roll: Shortly afterwards I met another couple, also looking for the seals, but they had been unsuccessful. I had come a lot further than I intended so I turned back for the homeward journey. I was pleased and surprised when I found the Clouded Yellow and Painted Lady back in the same location (but not on the same plant). The Painted Lady was not in terribly good condition but like me pleased to be out of the wind and happy to climb onto my finger and pose.
P1610955ad.jpg
P1610958ad.jpg
P1610920ad.jpg
P1610946ad.jpg

I requested entry back thru the gate and began to search for roosting Clouded Yellows. I found one which wasn’t in very good condition and whilst searching came across this very well camouflaged Silver Y moth.
P1610961ad.jpg
P1610875ad.jpg

Eventually I made it to the start of the track and watched as a flock of Goldfinches made the most of seeds on Teasel and other flower heads.
P1610965ad.jpg
It had been a smashing visit – probably over 3 hours and even tho’ I didn’t get to see the seals it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
Glad you found your Clouded Yellows :D
The White rumped bird looks like a Wheatear to me :D
Kind Regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Pauline,

you`re up early to post your messages ! The photo of the birds of prey... I can`t make out any colours but the bird on the right especially looks to have a tail that is indented at the base, which would indicate Red Kite. Also the wing tips (primary feathers) on the bird on the left show "fingers" and some barring which is consistent with Red Kite. Both Sparrowhawk and Goshawk have rounded wingtips and a long tail with a straight base. However, RK is bigger than Buzzard, although lighter in weight, they are more streamlined and aerodynamic, so if you are certain that what you saw was SMALLER than Buzzard, then I`m stumped. The bird on the rocks is definitely female Wheatear. They are now starting to move down from their breeding grounds to the coast before flying south. Quite early for them, they`ve obviously had enough of our weather ! Great photos by the way and thanks for your reply to my PM.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another splendid collection of photos. Last year, I didn't photograph a Clouded Yellow until late October so I guess there's plenty of time left for me yet. Your bird is a Wheatear and your observation of the white rump is thought by some to be the origin of its name - 'wheat ear' being a corruption of 'white a*** ' (I'm sure you can manage the blanks!). My identification of birds is always pretty ropey but my instinct was that your birds of prey were a family of kestrels - the wind can easily ruffle the long tail feathers to look like a vee and also spread out the wing tips.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, Glad you got the Clouded Yellows, I only managed the one but was so Pleased to do that like you :D I think all your photos are great but I particularly like the Gold Finch on the seeds it looks fantastic Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the bird ID Mark and your reply to my email.

Hi Gareth, actually I'm up at some stupid hour to feed my menagerie and it is only then I can sit down at the pc with a coffee :roll: :lol: I appreciate your help with the bird ID's. I am fairly sure they were smaller than Buzzards but they were at quite a distance which may have distorted my perception of their size. If my observation skills were better, or my photography (or both!!) then I'm sure you and others would easily have cracked it. They were very vocal if that is any sort of clue. Thank you for your comment on my photos.

Another interesting fact Mike which I didn't know (yes, I can fill in the blanks :lol: ). I'm sure that you will get to see a Clouded Yellow soon as they seem to be cropping up all over now and there is still plenty of time. I am not entirely sure about Kestrels either, having seen them in the past both close up and at a distance but as you say perhaps the wind was ruffling their feathers which may have thrown me. I guess it will have to remain a mystery - unless I go back :D . Thank you for the much appreciated compliment Mike.

Cheers Goldie - I thought the colours on the Goldfinches complimented the colours of the wild flowers. I am so glad you got to see a Clouded Yellow, and after all, you only need one to get a photo :D

After the recent dreadful weather I assumed that female BH would be making the most of the sun to get on with their egg-laying. Because of this I just couldn't avoid the temptation to call into Noar Hill briefly on the way to collect some new reading glasses (all the better to see butterfly eggs :lol: ). Noar Hill did not disappoint but surprisingly it was 3 males rather than females that I encountered, the first being in really good condition. I think I must have forgotten how to take photos in the sun (it has been a long time since we've had any!!!) :wink: :lol: and I struggled with the glare despite adjusting exposure compensation as much as the camera would allow. Eventually I managed to manouvre myself into a position to get some reasonable shots:
P1620252ad.jpg
P1620253ad.jpg
P1620254ad.jpg
I was surprised to see a BH nectaring on Wild Carrot - I have seen several at Shipton Bellinger nectaring on Wild Parsnip, but never this:
P1620276ad.jpg
P1620270ad.jpg
P1620268ad.jpg
It was whilst I was rushing back down the lane to the car that I saw the other 2 which were both a lot more worn than the original:
P1620348ad.jpg
P1620369ad.jpg
I'll be back for the females later :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pauline,
I'm afraid i had to give Wurzel a load of abuse for posting a cracking shot of a male Brown Hairstreak, then
clearing off on holiday!!. :mrgreen: . Now i see that you have also had lots of success :mrgreen: .
My ' local ' site has yet to produce the goods. Today Neil Hulme appeared from over the hill and we
thought he might charm some down for us, but nothing! :? .
Seriously, if i get lucky and obtain some shots as good as yours it'll be :D all the way.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, 3 males :mrgreen: and loads of Cloaded Yellows!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:, also nice piccies of that juvenile Wheatear. Your unknown spider is a Wasp Spider Argiope bruinnechi. The zigzag patterning on the web is enough to identify that species in the UK. I know what you mean about the temptation about straying from the path :lol:

I saw Jenks comment re. the birds of prey and I can confidentaly say they aren't Red Kites even without knowing the size for a number of reasons. Firstly on the bird on the left you can clearly see barring on the wings but no pale 'window' or patch. The tails on both birds seem to be closed so if it were a Kite you would see a deep fork and the primary 'fingers' on the wings tips are not long enough to be a Red kite. All these features do however point towards a Spaorrowhawk or Goshawk :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Pauline!

I only wish males at our Pembrokeshire site would be so accommodating. Nobody has ever seen them nectaring (and no-one really knows why that is). As a result, they spend all their time in the tree canopy and you need eyes like a hawk to even get a distant record shot. :(

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm glad you like my BH shots Trevor but I'm pretty confident you will get some to match or better them, especially if you put in as much effort as you did for PE :D I shall look forward to seeing them as Steyning is quite a late site.

Thanks Buggy, I'm having a great time at the moment :D trying to squeeze in as much as possible as my diary will be drawing to a close soon for the winter. I should have known the Wasp spider as I remember now that I saw one last year and in fact I saw another massive one today. Re bird ID, well, I'm so very tempted to try to get back there for a better description/photo as you've got me curious now.

Thank you David. It seems that at some sites (I believe Steyning Rifle Range is another) males never or rarely come down so I guess I'm lucky to be so close to Noar Hill where they come down readily, and at Shipton too. It may not be consolation but you have some beautiful female shots :D :mrgreen:

I need some more ID's sadly and I am hoping someone can help. This is basically an update on the immatures. The half dozen eggs laid on garlic mustard which Buggy identified and suspected GVW have all gone. I lifted up the paving stone, dug up the little plant, repotted it and put it in the cage. There must have been something on the plant (I could only see a couple of tiny little insects - wish I'd taken a photo). More recently I found another half dozen similar looking eggs on another plant. This plant is growing in a pot near a bird feeder and I did not plant it. I suspect that it is from a seed in the bird mix. It is quite big, some of the leaves about 8-9" across. I have been keeping an eye on the eggs and now they too have all disappeared bar one and I can only find one really tiny larva. I have snapped that leaf off and put it in water in the cage for now as something is eating this plant. Today around the base of the plant I found several cats about an inch long and this evening they are eating the leaves. So, what is the plant? What is the tiny larva? What are the larger cats?
P1620390d.jpg
P1620382ad.jpg
P1620660ad.jpg
Re Emperor Moth cats, the one with yellow spots pupated among the heather on 2 August which surprised me as it was the smaller of the 2 cats. The one with pink spots pupated 8 days later on the protective mesh. This also surprised me as during their time with me they have done everything together or within an hour or so of each other. I have been able to gently detach the pupa from the mesh to take a few shots. The other can be seen still embedded in the heather.
P1620393d.jpg
P1620395d.jpg
P1620398ad.jpg
I am wondering what the best way would be to keep these safe over the winter months to give them the best chance of emerging?

PS Many kind folk continue to ask after Chance. I have recently bought a large cuddly fox toy for him to cuddle up to and he seems to be gaining some comfort from it:
P1620408d.jpg
P1620406d.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”