jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Thanks for the comments :D Sadly, though, my luck did not hold out :( so there is not really a Part 4 to my Purple Emperor story. Perhaps I was a little over-optimistic :? I spent a lot of time on Saturday morning with very little reward, not even the faintest glimmer of Purple. In fact I saw hardly any butterflies at all. Thankfully Sunday was rather better.

Saturday 1.8.2015 Botley Wood - No Purple Emperors - Part 4
My Purple Emperor viewing point
My Purple Emperor viewing point
I think this Deer found me rather amusing
I think this Deer found me rather amusing
Does anybody know what this curious halo around the sun is?
Does anybody know what this curious halo around the sun is?
I set off all enthusiastic and fully prepared on Saturday morning hoping for more Purple Emperor action. My enthusiasm was not even dampened by the fact that it was a chilly 8 degrees when arrived at 8.15 :shock: For two hours I waited without a butterfly of any description, that's commitment (or perhaps stupidity :lol: ) with just a curious deer, a strange phenomena in the sky and an amorous pair of dragonflies to occupy me. It was not until just gone 10am and the temperature just started to rise above 14 degrees that the first butterfly of the day appeared. A brief flutter from a Silver Washed Fritillary as it found itself somewhere to warm in the sun shortly followed by a Speckled Wood doing the same thing.
I had better post some butterfly photos I suppose. A week on, the Silver Washed Fritillary and White Admiral are now looking rather ragged
I had better post some butterfly photos I suppose. A week on, the Silver Washed Fritillary and White Admiral are now looking rather ragged
P1060674.JPG
I stayed until 11.40 in the vague hope that something Purple might appear, but it did not :( My tally for the day was barely into double figures. Red Admiral, Green Veined White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Brimstone and White Admiral mostly singular individuals some looking rather ragged now. This small area of Botley Wood will be my first 'port of call' next Emperor season.
Speckled Wood and Green Veined White were looking a little fresher
Speckled Wood and Green Veined White were looking a little fresher
P1060675.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 2.8.2015 Meonstoke & West Meon

My brother and I have been walking the disused Meon Valley railway over the last few weeks. On Sunday we did the last section, Meonstoke to West Meon. I had delayed this last section because I wanted to be in the Meonstoke vicinity during Brown Hairstreak season as one was reported from the area last year. I did not expect to find any Hairstreaks, but I could dream :wink: To be honest this popular Hampshire walk has not been particularly productive for butterflies so far, but today would be different.
Small White was by far the numerous species today
Small White was by far the numerous species today
P1060689.JPG
Female Brimstone outnumbered the males today
Female Brimstone outnumbered the males today
We met at Meonstoke and it soon became clear that this would be a butterfly day. There were lots and lots of whites around particularly Small Whites which were by far the most numerous of the day closely followed by female Brimstone. The area close to the site of West Meon Railway Station being particularly fruitful. One particular Small White was unusually creamy in colour compared to the others flying, I managed to get a couple of shots of this individual.
This Small White was unusually creamy in appearance
This Small White was unusually creamy in appearance
P1060697.JPG
I spotted an area where there were some large Buddleia bushes which I just had to check out of course. Lots of Whites, Brimstone (mostly females), Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Peacock, Red Admiral and Comma. As I looked on at the assembled butterfly masses I was aware that we were both on a bit of a time constraint and our time was nearly up. Just then I spotted something different low down on a Thistle a few meters away. As I approached I could see this was a very unexpected White Letter Hairstreak :D :D :D Well, I could hardly contain my excitement. It was not the freshest example but was not too ragged either. I guessed it must have wandered in from somewhere else, but as I took photos another one fluttered by and settled right next to me :D This one was a lot more ragged but I was now thinking they must have come from somewhere a lot closer and I immediately started scanning the area for Elm Trees. To be honest I have become quite expert over the last couple of years at spotting Elm, but today I must have switched off because there was a large Wych Elm just to my right which I had not noticed. As I walked over to take a closer look at the tree I noticed several more White Letter Hairstreaks on the large Bramble bush below it :D I will definitely be checking this location out next season as it seemed perfect for viewing this species.
White Letter Hairstreak one of several seen
White Letter Hairstreak one of several seen
P1060716.JPG
P1060734.JPG
P1060741.JPG
We spent about half an hour with the Hairstreaks, making ourselves late in the process. The first Hairstreak we had spotted was still on the same Thistle when we left :!: There was just time to see a fresh Common Blue egg laying on Black Medick. When I got back to the car, which was parked right next to the River Meon, I took one last look across the fields before I went home. On the banks I was surprised to see three Small Whites 'mudpuddling' This was first time I have seen this phenomenon and it finished the day off rather nicely :D No Brown Hairstreak, unsurprisingly, but the White Letter variety were a great consolation. All in all a great day :D
Common Blue egglaying on Black Medick
Common Blue egglaying on Black Medick
Plenty of Peacock on Buddleia
Plenty of Peacock on Buddleia
Small Whites 'mudpuddling' on the River Meon
Small Whites 'mudpuddling' on the River Meon

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Painted Lady Larvae

On Sunday, after returning home from a Brown Hairstreak hunt, I was surprised to note that my Painted Lady had emerged. So I thought it was about time to post the differing story of these two captive larvae.
Parasitised Painted Lady larva above & Healthy larva below 16.7.2015 Southwick
Parasitised Painted Lady larva above & Healthy larva below 16.7.2015 Southwick
P1060386.JPG
The first larva has perhaps the more interesting story. I did not notice at the time I collected it, but in the photo it is apparent that it looked slightly unusual. Within a day or so it stopped feeding and started to behave strangely. On 23rd July some small parasitic larvae emerged from the larva accompanied by the production of some clumps of silk. A couple of these larvae were clearly visible but I guess there were more within the mass of silk. One of these remained exposed and I was able to see the resulting red pupa after a few days. One might think that was enough horror for one larva, but after a day or so I noticed that the body of the larva still had what appeared to be something larger moving within it. On 27th July a larger parasitic larva emerged producing a much larger brown pupa, which has yet to emerge. This unfortunate larva appeared to have been subject to a double parasitisation by different species.
Tiny red pupa visible amongst the clumps of silk
Tiny red pupa visible amongst the clumps of silk
P1060622.JPG
Silk clumps, small parasitic pupa and the remains of the empty Painted Lady larval skin bottom right
Silk clumps, small parasitic pupa and the remains of the empty Painted Lady larval skin bottom right
This pupa appeared on 27.7.2015 . It was the second parasite to emerge from this unfortunate larva
This pupa appeared on 27.7.2015 . It was the second parasite to emerge from this unfortunate larva
Two weeks after the tiny parasitic larvae appeared, I noticed there had been an emergence of between 20-25 tiny wasps. These were no more than 2mm long (4mm including antennae). It was difficult to count or photograph these wasps as they were extremely small and mobile. I was able to get around this by putting them in the fridge for 10 minutes to slow them up. These wasps look like the Braconid wasp Microgaster subcompletus shown in 'The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland'.
One of the tiny parasitic wasps a few hours after emergence 6.8.2015
One of the tiny parasitic wasps a few hours after emergence 6.8.2015
P1060801.JPG
Painted Lady pupa 27.7.2015
Painted Lady pupa 27.7.2015
The second larva was pretty well advanced when I collected it and within a few days had pupated. This resulted in the beautiful adult that emerged on Sunday after 18 days in the pupal stage.
Painted Lady shortly after emergence 9.8.2015
Painted Lady shortly after emergence 9.8.2015
P1060910.JPG
P1060929.JPG
P1060914.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Paul,
Congrats. on finding that White Letter Hairstreak colony. I found a lone one in an unknown location,and like
you, the excitement was in the surprise. Also your gruesome Painted Lady story is fascinating, i am pleased
that a partial success was achieved. :D
TREVOR.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Fascinating report, Jack, thanks for sharing your observations

Hoggers

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great reports Paul. I've been waiting for news on the Painted Lady cats and you must have been over the moon at finding the WLH - surely got to be 2 of the highlights of your butterfly season :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Jack, wish I could find some White Letter's like you :mrgreen: I keep looking but no luck yet Goldie :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Trevor, Hoggers, Pauline & Goldie
Thanks for all your comments :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 7.8.2015 & Sunday 16.8.2015 Twyford & St Catherines HIll Winchester

Like many people, I imagine, I have a long list of places which I intend to go back and visit at some point. This was one of those locations; a track/bridleway heading North from the main road between Winchester and Twyford which I often pass on the way home from work and never have time to explore. This particular Friday I had finished earlier than expected so I decided to stop off and have a quick look. To be honest at 5.30pm it was a bit too late to have much chance of seeing anything, but I am always optimistic :? There is quite a bit of Elm in this area, along the road and at the start of the track but it was probably too late in the day to see any White Letter Hairstreaks if they were there. I walked up the track for about 30 minutes and it quickly became apparent that this was good for Holly Blues with a total of 8 seen. I also saw my first Small Copper of the year high up on a hedge :D Much of the path was now in shade with just a few sunlit openings. A few whites, a couple of Gatekepers, a Meadow Brown and a Brimstone rounded off the day. With that I called it a day and headed home intending to return when I had more time.
What sort of bird is this? Twyford track 16.8.2015
What sort of bird is this? Twyford track 16.8.2015
P1060953.JPG
One of many Holly Blues seen. This worn female taking time out after a bout of egglaying
One of many Holly Blues seen. This worn female taking time out after a bout of egglaying
Female Green Veined White
Female Green Veined White
Male Green Veined White
Male Green Veined White
This male was very persistant before he got the message
This male was very persistant before he got the message
A week later and my intention had been to head to Shipton Bellinger for Brown Hairstreak, but weekend chores took longer than expected and I did not get out till gone 1pm so I skipped Shipton Bellinger and went to investigate the track at Twyford again. Although the morning had been perfect, by early afternoon cloud cover had thickened and it even looked like rain might be a possibility. I retraced my previous steps and counted 10 Holly Blues in about 15 minutes including several Females egglaying. Further on I started seeing Common Blues and a few small skippers as well as lots of Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown. Being up quite high now Magdalen Hill Down was clearly visible in the distance.
Magdalen Hill Down in the distance with dark clouds looming
Magdalen Hill Down in the distance with dark clouds looming
Male Chalkhill Blue
Male Chalkhill Blue
Male Common Blue
Male Common Blue
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
I unexpectedly found myself on St Catherines Hill south of the M3
I unexpectedly found myself on St Catherines Hill south of the M3
I then bumped into a Chalkhill Blue, my first of the year :D I had not been looking for these but it was a very pleasant surprise. However, I did not have to go much further before I arrived at a gate beyond which there was an open downland meadow which was alive with Chalkhill Blues and Common Blues. At that point I had no idea where I was and there were no signs indicating the location. It was not until I reached the far side of this downland that I discovered a sign which said ' St Catherines HIll' I was somewhat confused by this sign as the classic image of St Catherines Hill is on the opposite side of the M3 motorway, anyway that's what the sign said. By now it was 5pm and there were heavy clouds rolling in and butterflies were settling already. A great time for photos. Brown Argus, Green Veined White, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell and small Heath were now added to the days tally as well as a couple of Wasp Spiders.
This Chalkhill Blue was devoid of underwing spots
This Chalkhill Blue was devoid of underwing spots
Chalkhill Blues settling down for the night
Chalkhill Blues settling down for the night
P1070135.JPG
P1070099.JPG
Wasp spider
Wasp spider

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Jack,your bird on the fencepost looks like a Buzzard to me. Nice shot of Wasp spider too ,I,ve found 4 myself this year including a huge individual at 2013,s Kent Long tailed Blue site ,Kingsdown Leas. regards Allan W.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up as I seem to keep missing your postings Paul :oops: First very interesting reporting of the parasitism - whilst gruesome also fascinating. The Painted Lady that emerged looks really dark to me, hardly any Orange on it :? Great Chalkhills and Wasp Spider and as for the Whitters :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Allan
Thanks for the id :D I am not a birder, but this large bird looked rather interesting sitting on a fence post

Hi Wurzel
Thanks for the comments :D I don't know how you find the time to keep track of and post on everyones diary as well as your own :? I struggle just to keep mine up together.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

In what would seem to be a great year for Holly Blue, they have been unusually numerous at almost every site. They have also been constant visitors to my garden over the last few weeks. They seem to find a large Hebe bush irresistible both for nectaring and basking. I have not heard of Holly Blue larva on Hebe before, but I observed the following:

Saturday 22.8.2015 - I spotted a female Holly Blue spending longer than normal on one of the Hebe flower heads in the garden. On closer inspection I could see she was probing between the florets with her abdomen looking for a place to lay. Upon examination afterwards I found a single ovum.
P1070295.JPG
Wednesday 26.8.2015 - By now the florets were open. The flowers are normally very short lived on this Hebe and I suspect that the flowers will have finished by the time this egg hatches. Today I noticed that another egg of a different sort had been laid next to the Holly Blue one. I suspected that this was the egg of a parasite of some sort, but on inspection of several other flower heads, both open and in bud, there seemed to be quite a few more of these. So hopefully that fact that it is right next to the Holly Blue egg is purely coincidental.
Holly Blue ovum with a 2nd unidentified egg 29.8.2015
Holly Blue ovum with a 2nd unidentified egg 29.8.2015
Sunday 30.8.2015 - Today the individual florets are already starting to drop off. At midday I noticed a dark spot in the middle of the Holly Blue egg and shortly afterwards it was obviously hatching. Unfortunately I was called away at the crucial moment :x and by the time I returned the larva had left the scene. I made a thorough inspection of the flower head and found a small larva, but this is obviously not the Holly Blue. Hopefully it is still located somewhere close by.
Holly Blue larva hatching 30.8.2015
Holly Blue larva hatching 30.8.2015
Vacant Holly Blue ovum
Vacant Holly Blue ovum
I found this larva on the same flower head but it is obviously not a Holly Blue larva!
I found this larva on the same flower head but it is obviously not a Holly Blue larva!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Keep a close eye on that plant Paul for any signs of feeding damage which might lead you to the culprit - you might still spot it.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 31.8.2015 Holly Blue Update

There is nothing like a bit of rain and drizzle to bring larvae out into the open. After a wet start, a quick glance at my Hebe this afternoon revealed the Holly Blue larva which was playing hard to get yesterday.
1 day old Holly Blue larva
1 day old Holly Blue larva
P1070362.JPG

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

jackz432r wrote:Monday 31.8.2015 Holly Blue Update

There is nothing like a bit of rain and drizzle to bring larvae out into the open. After a wet start, a quick glance at my Hebe this afternoon revealed the Holly Blue larva which was playing hard to get yesterday.
P1070347.JPG
P1070362.JPG
Superb! Certainly looks like a Holly Blue larva to me - and possibly the first record of this species on a Hebe! I'll have to change my gardening plans for next year. In the meantime, we'll get this recorded in a Notes and Views article. Top stuff - and let us know if you get to see later instars :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 9.8.2015 & Saturday 22.8.2015 Shipton Bellinger

Last year I saw my first ever Brown Hairstreaks at this site, but did not manage to get any photos. My first visit to Shipton Bellinger this year was perhaps a little early in the season, but I had a day to myself and the weather was good. I arrived nice and early and did not have to wait long for some Hairstreak action. Rather than the Ash, this year the hotspot seemed to be a large Sallow tree between the two parallel tracks. At least 4 males flitting around this tree quite early. I waited patiently for one to come down but probably not patiently enough. I eventually moved on to investigate other areas as I had the whole day. I saw a couple more Hairstreaks in flight on the perimeter of the main field but not much more anywhere else. I returned to the Sallow tree several times during the day but by midday activity had died down somewhat.
Small Tortoiseshell 9.8.2015
Small Tortoiseshell 9.8.2015
Brown Argus 9.8.2015
Brown Argus 9.8.2015
Common Blue 9.8.2015
Common Blue 9.8.2015
Holly Blue 9.8.2015
Holly Blue 9.8.2015
As is always the case here there is plenty of other species to keep you entertained when Hairstreaks are playing hard to get. Lots of Holly Blues again this year as well as Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Speckled Wood, Large White, Small White, Brimstone, Green Veined White, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Skipper, Small Heath, Comma, Red Admiral, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and for the first time I saw several Silver Washed Fritillary here. But of course it was the Brown Hairstreak I had come to see. My final Hairstreak encounter was when I returned to the main field via the cut through in the bottom corner. As I exited the gap in the hedge a butterfly flew up from low down and perched up high on Blackthorn giving me a silouhetted view against the sky. I left with a grand total of 6-7 Brown Hairstreaks seen.
My final view of Brown Hairstreak 9.8.2015
My final view of Brown Hairstreak 9.8.2015
Brimstone 9.8.2015
Brimstone 9.8.2015
A couple of weeks later I got a second chance at Brown Hairstreak and again I got there nice and early. First up a fresh Painted Lady near to the car park and then several Common Blues sucking nutrients from the still wet track. I headed straight for the Sallow tree. As I approached I could see there were already a couple of chaps 'camped out' at the Sallow. Nigel Kiteley and John Starkey had come some way and been there several hours already. There was already some action up in the Sallow and they had also located some Brown Hairstreak eggs close by which they kindly pointed out to me (my first) Soon after that we were joined by Roger (from Hertfordshsire) and then by a lovely fresh Female Brown Hairstreak. She came pretty low but was frustratingly not showing her full beauty. Nigel and John went off for a wander after which a male settled down low for some time, but wings were kept firmly shut.
Male Brown Hairstreak 22.8.2015
Male Brown Hairstreak 22.8.2015
Female Brown Hairstreak 22.8.2015
Female Brown Hairstreak 22.8.2015
We then went off for a look around the main field where a young chap in a tractor was looking quite pleased with himself as he cut the grass down together with all the wild flowers etc. We saw no sign of Brown Hairstreak in the field but we were quite pleased to see a single Small Copper, only my third of the year. We returned to the Sallow only to find Nigel and John already there having seen a female Brown Hairstreak low down, wings open and egglaying. Oh well that's the way it goes, maybe next year. That was the end of my final visit to this site for the year as I had now run out of time and had to go, but not before getting some handy tips from Nigel and John ( thanks guys :D )
At last! This was only my 3rd Small Copper of the year 22.8.2015
At last! This was only my 3rd Small Copper of the year 22.8.2015
Speckled Wood 22.8.2015
Speckled Wood 22.8.2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad Shipton Bellinger produced the goods Paul :D , especially as I was there 2 days before and it was miserable weather and there was only one single Brostreak to be seen :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A few 'bits & bobs from the last couple of weeks:

Holly Blue Larva on Hebe

There has been no further sign of this larva since 31.8.2015, despite checking everyday. I found a small spider living on the flower head 6.9.2015 which I have relocated elsewhere (not sure if that is too much interference with nature) Hopefully the Holly Blue larva is still in there somewhere. I shall keep looking.

Small White in the garden

I found a couple of what I believe are Small White Ova on a potted Garlic Mustard plant in the garden. They have both now hatched although I have lost track of one larva. The other one took up residence within the then still furled young leaf at the base of the plant. This leaf has now started to unfurl, the young larva being extremely difficult to see laying along the midrib of the leaf. There is also a Bright Line Brown Eye moth larva living on the same plant.
1st instar Small White larva within furled Garlic Mustard leaf 1.9.2015
1st instar Small White larva within furled Garlic Mustard leaf 1.9.2015
1st instar Small White larva incredibly difficult to see along the midrib of this Garlic Mustard leaf 5.9.2015
1st instar Small White larva incredibly difficult to see along the midrib of this Garlic Mustard leaf 5.9.2015
This is the leaf approximately in the centre of this picture in context with the rest of the plant
This is the leaf approximately in the centre of this picture in context with the rest of the plant
This Bright Line Brown Eye moth larva is occupying the same plant as the Small White Larvae
This Bright Line Brown Eye moth larva is occupying the same plant as the Small White Larvae
Sunday 6.9.2015 Speckled Wood in the garden

I was lucky enough to be in the garden whilst a Speckled Wood laid eggs. This is the 4th year in succession that I have positively identified early stages of this species in the garden. It surprises me how little one has to do to encourage this. I watched as it laid at least 2 eggs probably more, one of these I have marked so I can monitor it. A few minutes after this egg was laid I managed to catch an intruder in frame. This settled momentarily and it was pure luck that I managed to snap it. I have no idea if this was anything sinister or just coincidence that it settled next to the egg, any ideas :?:
Speckled Wood ovum a few minutes after being laid in my garden 6.9.2015
Speckled Wood ovum a few minutes after being laid in my garden 6.9.2015
Out of focus, but this insect momentarily settled right next to the freshly laid Speckled Wood ovum. By pure chance I managed a snapshot of it
Out of focus, but this insect momentarily settled right next to the freshly laid Speckled Wood ovum. By pure chance I managed a snapshot of it
Friday 4.9.2015 In Search Of The Long Tailed Blue

A few weeks ago I spotted this area of scrub locally where there was a profusion of Everlasting Pea. Whilst not being strictly coastal as it is next to Southampton Water, it is definitely 'Worth checking out' I thought to myself. Today was pretty cool and overcast and hardly any butterflies on the wing, just a couple of Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown and an unidentified moth. The Everlasting Pea here ranges from completely finished to yet to flower. I could not find any evidence of Long Tailed Blues here today :( but I will definitely be back in a couple of weeks, just in case one deposited an egg or two :wink:
Not strictly coastal, but worth a second visit
Not strictly coastal, but worth a second visit
Plenty of Everlasting Pea in various stages of growth
Plenty of Everlasting Pea in various stages of growth
Not much flying except this Unidentified Moth
Not much flying except this Unidentified Moth

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hope you find some Long Tailed Blues Jack, that certainly would be exciting Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”