Grayling Behaviour

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Grayling Behaviour

Post by millerd »

Noting the interest recently generated by the extraordinary mating trio of Graylings, I have looked through my photos and compiled a sequence which follows the attempted courtship of the female by a third male whilst she was already "in cop" with the other two.

The male butterfly I'd been following alights next to the female
GY1a 020815.JPG
This causes some agitation in the female and the other male butterflies
GY2a 020815.JPG
The newcomer concentrates his attention on the female, approaching her face-to-face
GY3a 020815.JPG
GY4a 020815.JPG
He opens his wings, and here he appears to dip his antennae in the scent scales on his forewings as he bows towards the female. His genitalia appear poised for action too
GY5 020815.JPG
He settles back and bows again, twice more
GY6 020815.JPG
GY7 020815.JPG
GY8 020815.JPG
GY9 020815.JPG
The male then moves round towards the back of the female, which causes her to open her wings
GY10 020815.JPG
GY11 020815.JPG
GY12 020815.JPG
As he attempts to move in from behind, the other males become very agitated
GY13 020815.JPG
He now discovers that the object of his desires is firmly attached to not one, but two other male butterflies
GY14 020815.JPG
Disappointed, he departs, leaving the curious and unusual trio in peace
GY15 020815.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Re: Grayling Behaviour

Post by Chris Jackson »

What an adventure! Good story line, Dave, and an interesting sequence of photos.
Cheers, Chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes excellant stuff Dave. I have one question: In the 5th picture you say he appears to dip his own antennae onto his scent patch. Looking at the picture and comparing it to the next picture it looks like that its the females antennae brushing his scent patch which I guess would make more sense.

It's interesting, and something thats not occurred to me before, that your pictures show the positioning of the scent patches perfectly match the natural positioning of the females anteannae when he opens his wings at the right angle. All he has to do to a receptive female is lunge forward to give the female a maximum dose of pheromones, natures clever!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right, Buggy - that must be the female's antenna. They do indeed match the position of the scent scales perfectly. She must have been completely doolally with all those male pheromones around!

Dave
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Incredible photos/bahavioural account shown here.

Return to “Sightings”