millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: millerd

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave, just catching up on your latest excursions, great reports and photos :D

Back home today after my few days up north and there are some fresh Holly Blues passing though the garden, just need to find one settled now...and with open wings :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. As always, much appreciated. :)

Missed you again on Box Hill, Buggy - one day we'll be on the same bit of the hill at the same time, though it's a big place. :)

I take it the second round of Wood Whites are out, Wurzel - I may try Botany Bay on Sunday as my favourite bits of the North Downs are being cycled over. :(

I see you've also had luck with the Holly Blues, Trevor, and I'm sure you will too, Neil. They are tempted by flowering brambles, though not many of us have this in the garden... :wink: More of them coming up...

30th July: At last! The sun actually shone properly today, and I had a tour of my local patch. The main Holly Blue area is two minutes from home, and they didn't disappoint. The sudden sunshine had seven or eight out on the brambles, and they obviously felt like I did and several of them basked partially open-winged. As Trevor observed, no females as yet.
HB1 300715.JPG
HB3 300715.JPG
HB4 300715.JPG
HB7 300715.JPG
HB8 300715.JPG
HB6 300715.JPG

Another particular highlight was a selection of newly-hatched Brimstones.
Brimstone1 300715.JPG
Brimstone2 300715.JPG
Brimstone5 300715.JPG
Brimstone6 300715.JPG
At one point I watched a male and female encounter each other, and for a couple of moments, they nectared alongside one an other on a teasel. Clearly not spring! I also noticed that the moment the sun went in, they would dive for cover. Brilliant camouflage - spot the butterfly.
Brimstone3 300715.JPG
Brimstone4 300715.JPG
Alongside the Brimstones on the teazels and wild buddleia were several Red Admirals.
RA1 300715.JPG
One in particular was very new in brilliant scarlet and black, an absolutely beautiful creature.
RA2 300715.JPG
RA3 300715.JPG
RA4 300715.JPG
RA5 300715.JPG
RA7 300715.JPG
RA6 300715.JPG
Second brood Common Blues are in full swing now, and I came upon a mating pair ensuring there will be more next year.
CB1 300715.JPG
CB2 300715.JPG
CB3 300715.JPG
CB pair1 300715.JPG
CB pair2 300715.JPG
Overall, examples of all the following species were seen during my tour:
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood
Small Heath
Peacock
Red Admiral
Comma (both normal and hutchinsoni)
Large White
Small White
Green-veined White
Brimstone
Holly Blue
Common Blue
Brown Argus
Small Skipper
Essex Skipper
16 species is not bad at all: a selection of the rest follows in Part Two!

Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great reports and images from up north and locally recently,and nice set of images,i didn't realise Marbled Whites could be found as far north as that.The Brimstone shows it's camoflage well,too.

I comiserate with you regarding the weather. What a miserible month it's been! That one hot day on the 1st seems such a long time ago...

millerd

Post by millerd »

30th July (continued): a selection of some of the other species seen today:
SW1 300715.JPG
SW2 300715.JPG
LW1 300715.JPG
LW2 300715.JPG
LW3 300715.JPG
SpW1 300715.JPG
GK1 300715.JPG
GK2 300715.JPG
SS1 300715.JPG
BA1 300715.JPG
BA2 300715.JPG
Peacock1 300715.JPG
Comma2 300715.JPG
Comma4 300715.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Essex - the July weather really hasn't been that great, and the butterfly moments have been snatched rather than leisurely enjoyed. That hot day on the 1st was far too hot as well - 37 degrees is not comfortable for man nor insect.

31st July: However, the last day of the month proved to be pretty good. My youngest son had been hinting that he would like a day at the seaside, so with a good forecast ahead, we set out today for Studland. We should have left earlier, and the local traffic down in Dorset was very slow. However, we were on the beach soon after midday and enjoyed unbroken sunshine, a light breeze and around 21 degrees or so. As Elliot played in the sea and on the sand, I watched a whole variety of butterflies waft along the shoreline - Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells, Large Whites, a Painted Lady, a Meadow Brown and a Grayling. By four, we decided move on, and trudged back through the dunes and heather to the car park. There were lots of Gatekeepers here, but only one more Grayling - other suspects turned out to be Meadow Browns. The buddleia bushes behind the visitor centre had only one or two Red Admirals and a Peacock.

We drove through Swanage and up to Durlston Country Park, where we had a cup of tea at the Castle. This is a fascinating building, now full of information about local wildlife, geology and all things natural. On this glorious afternoon, the views were stunning. Just below the café balcony, there were several large buddleia bushes. These were playing host to Red Admirals, Peacocks, Large Whites and more surprisingly, a couple of Silver-washed Fritillaries.
SWF1 310715.JPG
There was also a single Humming-bird Hawkmoth, which pretty well defied my ability to photograph it...
HBHM 310715.JPG
Curiously, my only other attempt at this feat was in exactly the same spot a good ten years ago. After tea and a good explore of the Castle, we ambled along the coast path and then up to the Country Park itself. There were dozens of Marbled Whites around - they seem to fly late here (I've seen a couple right at the end of August).
MW1 310715.JPG
There were also high numbers of Gatekeepers, and a variety of Skippers. Here was an added conundrum - not just telling Small and Essex apart, but remembering that there would be Lulworth in amongst them too. In the end, I am certain I saw Lulworth and Essex, and there is one I am pretty sure was a Small Skipper.
Small
Small
Essex
Essex
Essex
Essex
In the relatively short time we spent in the park (we had to get back on the road at some point), we also saw a Painted Lady, a female Dark Green Fritillary, a possible Wall (but it could equally have been a Small Tortoiseshell). However, the Lulworths were what I'd hoped to see.
Not entirely sure the one above is Lulworth... Could be Small
Not entirely sure the one above is Lulworth... Could be Small
Male Lulworth
Male Lulworth
Male Lulworth
Male Lulworth
Male Lulworth
Male Lulworth
Female Lulworth
Female Lulworth
Female Lulworth
Female Lulworth
One of each sex
One of each sex
One of each sex
One of each sex
Female Lulworth
Female Lulworth
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A timely report Dave as I'm heading off there tomorrow and Monday as well so it's good to know that they're still flying, they do look a bit tired though - hope they last another couple of days :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I hope you had a good day or two, Wurzel - the weather seems to have done the right thing, certainly. :D

1st August: A day up in the Rugby area with all the boys. After a shopping expedition in the morning, we visited Ryton Country Park in the afternoon. There were fewer butterflies than a month ago, with no Marbled Whites and only tired looking Ringlets and Meadow Browns. Both Small and Essex Skippers were still going strong, as were Gatekeepers.
ES1 010815.JPG
SS4 010815.JPG
SS4a 010815.JPG
Common Blues were just beginning to appear, but strangely all I saw were females - and dark ones at that.
CB1 010815.JPG
CB2 010815.JPG
CB3 010815.JPG
CB4 010815.JPG
CB5 010815.JPG
There were also a couple of Commas.
Comma1 010815.JPG
On the way home, the sun was shining hazily, so I stopped on the Southam Bypass to see if any second brood Small Blues were around. There were a few - including a mating pair - but they were otherwise mostly females.
SB pair 010815.JPG
SB1 010815.JPG
SB2 010815.JPG
SB4 010815.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

2nd August: Part One.
Following Wurzel's suggestion, and with the North Downs inaccessible today, I set off for Botany Bay. Arriving around 1100, immediately inside the gate I was greeted by a selection of butterflies on a stand of thistles by the path: Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns, plus more showy Silver-washed Fritillaries and White Admirals.
GK1 020815.JPG
The latter two were looking tired now, but still able to put on a display of graceful aerobatics in the sunshine.
SWF1 020815.JPG
SWF2 020815.JPG
SWF3 020815.JPG
WA2 020815.JPG
WA4 020815.JPG
WA3 020815.JPG
WA5 020815.JPG
WA1 020815.JPG
I followed the path and once over the bridge and just climbing the hill on the other side, I spotted a pile of fresh horse manure adorned with Wood Whites. There were five altogether, but only three remained for a rather unusual photo.
WWx3 020815.JPG
It became quickly apparent that the woods were full of Brimstones. There are always a lot here in the spring, but there were hundreds today all avidly nectaring.
Brimstone1 020815.JPG
Brimstone2 020815.JPG
Sharing that pursuit were a good number of Peacocks, as well as more SWF and White Admirals.
Peacock1 020815.JPG
I had mainly come to see the Wood Whites, but before that, a run down of what else was about in addition to those already mentioned:
Holly Blue
Common Blue
CB1 020815.JPG
Purple Hairstreak
Marbled White
MW1 020815.JPG
Speckled Wood
Ringlet
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Small White
Large White
LW1 020815.JPG
Green-veined White
Comma (both types)
Painted Lady
PL1 020815.JPG
PL2 020815.JPG
However, the Wood Whites were the main attraction, and they deserve a separate entry.

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

2nd August: Part Two. Botany Bay Wood Whites.

There were good numbers of Wood Whites, both males and females, pottering up and down the paths. Females were egg-laying, assiduously seeking out the tiny vetchlings they prefer. Following one male, I saw him settle for no apparent reason. In fact he had been attracted to a mating pair that I would certainly have otherwise overlooked.
WW pair2 020815.JPG
WW pair4 020815.JPG
Some other photos of this delightful little butterfly.
WW1 020815.JPG
WW2 020815.JPG
WW3 020815.JPG
WW4 020815.JPG
WW5 020815.JPG
WW6 020815.JPG
WW7 020815.JPG
WW9 020815.JPG
WW10 020815.JPG
WW11 020815.JPG
And finally that initial trio again.
WWx3 020815.JPG
Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

hi Dave;

You had a good day then !!.

TREVOR.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like you've had a busy few days and definately come up with the goods! :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Trevor and Buggy - yes, and there's more (as you might have guessed from the posting in the August sightings thread...) :D

After Botany Bay, there was just enough charge on the camera battery for one other shortish trip somewhere. Dawney's Hill (Pirbright) is on my M25 avoidance route home, so that's where I went. It took a while to find where the Graylings were lurking in the heat, but in fact they found me. Suddenly three appeared from nowhere and kept flying at my legs. The inevitable trousering happened shortly afterwards.
GY2 020815.JPG
GY1 020815.JPG
GY3 020815.JPG
After seeing half a dozen or so, I made my way round the far side of the site, and spotted several more. I followed one down to the ground, and realised it had been attracted to what appeared to be a mating pair. Being a Grayling, and not known for subtlety in these matters, it immediately tried to muscle in, with much wing flapping from all involved. It was at this point I realised that the pair it had found was in fact a threesome. Expecting one of the three to be another opportunist male, it was a surprise to see that all three were locked together, abdomens conjoined. At one point, the attentions of no. 4 caused them to fly - the female carried both her consorts, but not far. It is extremely tricky photographing this activity - three butterflies at 120 degrees to each other does not an easy picture make. However, the situation did provide some open wing shots, and some of the upperwing colours were amazing, especially when caught by the sun at certain angles. The scent scales on the male are also really prominent.
GY cu3 020815.JPG
These shots are in chronological order - the quality is not great as there was a lot of movement.
GY multiple1 020815.JPG
GY multiple2 020815.JPG
GY multiple3 020814.JPG
GY multiple4 020815.JPG
GY multiple5 020815.JPG
GY multiple6 020815.JPG
GY multiple7 020815.JPG
GY multiple8 020815.JPG
GY multiple9 020815.JPG
I got a couple of closer shots of the butterfly abdomens - you can make out the fact that three are involved, though anything more is beyond the capability of my camera.
GY cu1 020815.JPG
GY cu2 020815.JPG

Anyway, this all provided a rather bizarre conclusion to a very successful day.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was all set to comment on the ace Wood Whites Dave but those Grayling shot are real showstoppers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps - the Lulworths were still in fine fettle today :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave;
Fabulous Grayling shots , the open wing capture especially stunning and rare. Definately worth
avoiding the M25 for. I'm afraid you must take a few mrgreens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

All the best,
TREVOR.

PS. A few female Holly Blues have been reported.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, chaps. I am certain that is something I'm never going to see again. I'm grateful to the fourth butterfly for leading me straight to them, and for trying to get in on the act - there would have been no open wing shots without it! :)

3rd August: After that kind of day yesterday, anything would seem like a bit of a letdown. Going back to work after a fortnight off certainly didn't help. Nevertheless, after work and under warm but overcast skies, I had an amble around my local patch. Inevitably, two Holly Blues appeared immediately. The reason for their almost constant presence in this spot is probably a large holly tree, overgrown with ivy, which has brambles all around its base and hawthorn hedge to either side. No Holly Blue needs to travel any distance at all at any time of year to keep the species going.
HB2 030815.JPG
HB3 030815.JPG
Moving on, I encountered several Red Admirals patrolling the path as usual - another near constant and reliable facet of this walk throughout the year.
RA1 030815.JPG
There was also a single Comma. I reached the large meadow/field/open space between the M25 and the River Colne before seeing anything else. Here were good numbers of roosting Common Blues: every now and again one would open up when the wind dropped a bit, the cloud thinned and the sun shone feebly through.
CB1 030815.JPG
CB2 030815.JPG
CB3 030815.JPG
CB4 030815.JPG
CB5 030815.JPG
CB6 030815.JPG
Meadow Browns were disturbed as I walked along, plus a few Gatekeepers. Others of this species had taken to the trees to roost and sit out the weather.
GK1 030815.JPG
I also put up a Small Heath, which soon plummeted back down, unusually ending up on a plant above grass height instead of buried in a tussock. It appeared newly emerged, with lovely subtlety of colouring and an amazingly bristly face.
SH2 030815.JPG
At this point, though there were signs of a bit more sun, it started to spot with rain and I turned back - it was after all around half past six and it's started to get late noticeably earlier these days. However, as I passed the J14 roundabout, the sun strengthened a bit and I glanced up at the young oak trees at the side of the link to Terminal Four. Dancing around these, and a large sycamore next to them, were a selection of Purple Hairstreaks - half a dozen or more.
PH Trees 030815.JPG
I watched them for a while, and very entertaining they were too with their aggressive aerobatics and madcap chases. Every now and again, one would bask with its wings open. I could just about make this out (I had no binoculars with me), and cranked the camera up to full zoom, pointed and hoped. The results, heavily cropped, are recognisably male Purple Hairstreaks.
PH1 030815.JPG
PH3 030815.JPG
That's as far as I would go in describing these blurry photos! :) On a suitable evening soon, I may take my life in my hands and find a way up to the roadside, which is on a level with where the butterflies were basking (though still below treetop height).

As ever, it was worth going out - there is always something worth seeing! :)

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Amazing Grayling shots Dave and open wings too :D Nice shot showing the scent scales on the male.

Mike

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I agree with Mike, Dave. Amazing behavioural shots of the Greyling! Quite a thing to witness. :shock:

Best Wishes

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave, I am playing catch up yet again. Some great recent reports and photos but that is a brilliant series of Grayling images, amazing stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Once again, many thanks everyone for your enthusiasm for my highly unusual encounter with the Graylings. It's the sort of pure chance event that makes this hobby so rewarding. :D

4th August: Still well and truly back on terra firma with another day at work with not a lot of sun. I had a look at Bedfont Lakes Country Park after my day of toil, an hour or so around five o'clock. When the sun peeped through, the hedgerows seemed full of Gatekeepers, and the grass held lots of Meadow Browns. A couple of Holly Blues flew up and down the brambles , and the path next to the railway also hosted a few Skippers - both Small and Essex - and a solitary Speckled Wood.
ES1 040815.JPG
SpW1 040815.JPG
There were reasonable numbers of Common Blues, but considering the amount of BFT growing here, nothing like as many as I would have expected.
CB2 040815.JPG
CB1 040815.JPG
CB3 040815.JPG
Finally, there were a few Brown Argus, including a couple of females - the second one of which was very fresh and a splendid little insect.
BA5 040815.JPG
BA4 040815.JPG
BA1 040815.JPG
BA3 040815.JPG
BA2 040815.JPG
Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up Dave. Fantastic shots of both the Wood Whites and the Grayling. Really interesting and well captured shots :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”