Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

August 2015

Post by David M »

Do your worst, folks!!
FISHiEE

Re: August 2015

Post by FISHiEE »

Fresh emerged female marbled white at Chalton down yesterday morning. Morning started off at 5c. Very exceptional start to August!!

2 weeks ago the only marbled whites were all way past their best and they are now no more so I fear this one will have a lonely life
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

FISHiEE wrote:Fresh emerged female marbled white at Chalton down yesterday morning.
I have noticed a few fresh Marbled Whites and Ringlets the last couple of weeks, a 2nd Brood Dingy Skipper as well at Hutchinsons Bank.
DSC00511ccs.JPG
DSC00419ccs.JPG
A Clouded Yellow was also seen.
DSC00406ccs.JPG
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny721

Post by Jonny721 »

24 species seen yesterday in a trip down south, my most in a single day. I've never seen second generation Holly Blue up here in Lancashire so to see them at almost every site we visited was certainly a novelty!

Hockley Woods - Purple Hairstreak, White-letter Hairstreak, Brimstone, Comma, Ringlet

Wat Tyler CP - Essex Skipper

Aston Rowant - Chalkhill Blue, Silver-spotted Skipper, Brown Argus (1), Marbled White (1), Essex Skipper

Otmoor RSPB - Brown Hairstreak
millerd

Post by millerd »

Bizarre three-way Grayling mating seen at Dawney's Hill, Surrey today. All three butterflies (two males and a female) were firmly joined together. At one point, they took off and flew in tandem.
GY multiple7 020815.JPG
GY multiple8 020815.JPG
GY multiple9 020815.JPG
GY cu1 020815.JPG
GY cu2 020815.JPG
Apologies for the graphic detail! Other butterflies were attracted by the action and it was nearly a four-way relationship at one point.
GY multiple6 020815.JPG
More in my personal diary in due course.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well you've taken David M's challenge and ran with it haven't you Dave! Good stuff though :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Strewth - that is quite an observation, Dave! Nice one!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

The 1st of August saw me visit 2 local sites in Kent, those being Queensdown Warren, and Darland Danks. I was hoping for SSS's at Queensdown Warren, but no such luck there.

The female Chalk-hill Blues were on the wing at both sites, but numbers are low compared to last year.
Other species seen were fresh Brimstones(male and female) Brown Argus, Small Blues, plus all the usual species.

Flying in my garden this last week were - Fresh Holly Blues, Comma, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral.

A couple of photos from yesterdy, cheers Paul.
1st-August-2015-to-600c.jpg
This Brown Argus look like a female too? its an interesting shot, because I used a 1.7 teleconverter as well as my nikon 105mm VR lens(on D700 body) giving 180mm focal length.
1st-August-2015-to-600b.jpg
1st-August-2015-to-600d.jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Testudo Man wrote:This Brown Argus look like a female too?
Based on the abdomen, I'd say that's a male.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Testudo Man wrote:This Brown Argus look like a female too?
Based on the abdomen, I'd say that's a male.

Cheers,

- Pete
Cheers for that Pete, I wasnt sure it was a female, the abdomen is pointed up in that image and there was another Brown Argus close by, who had been chasing this one, and the other butterfly had a abdomen that was thinner in appearance.

Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

Good effort on the Graylings, Dave. They can normally be relied upon to open their wings in courtship or in the act of mating.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A great opportunity there for Grayling upperside shots. Nice. :D
Chris
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

How bizarre Dave. I've never seen or heard of that before - in any species. Well spotted and great shots.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Agreed on those Graylings Dave,marvelous stuff.
Regards
Dave Browne
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Today at Hutchinsons Bank , Glanville Fritillary larvae were sunning on their webs.
DSC00623s.JPG
DSC00627s.JPG
White Admiral and Silver Washed Fritillary were on the Buddleia.
DSC00629c.JPG
A Painted Lady was one of 3 seen as well.
DSC00633ccss.JPG
Last edited by MrSp0ck on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Amongst all the Silver-spotted Skippers and Chalkhill Blues, this female Clouded Yellow popped up this evening at Aston Rowant. There don't seem to have been many around anywhere and it's certainly the first I've come across this year.
CY1 070815.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
Had an early evening trip to Wye NNR,to see if I could find a few roosting Blues,as I,ve noticed its quite a lively spot during the day with Blues ,(Common in particular)
I found that standing in one spot and using bins(Pentax Papillio..........best £85 I've spent for many a day!) was the best method,and soon found a fair few,one or two were still jinking about,but most were sitting in typical head down attitude on tall grass stems,the two or three male Chalkhills that were present,seemed to prefer roosting on plant heads. and didn't seem to allow a close approach.i also saw a pretty late Large Skipper that was absolutely covered in those weird red tick type things,that I generally see on Marbled whites.....poor thing! as I walked about I noticed,an odd ladder like spiders web at the base of a stunted Hawthorn,i've seen them before,a few times,and after a little search,and after gently tapping the ladder A beautiful Wasp spider revealed itself,they do seem to be spreading so keep an eye out. Regards Allan,W.
DSCF1311.JPG
DSCF1353.JPG
DSCF1295.JPG
DSCF1205.JPG
DSCF1217.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:...this female Clouded Yellow popped up this evening at Aston Rowant. There don't seem to have been many around anywhere and it's certainly the first I've come across this year.
Indeed. They have been conspicuous by their absence. Given the weather conditions over the past six weeks or so, it's not surprising that they can't be bothered to cross the Channel!! :(
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Walked Longstone Edge in the Peak District yesterday. In the warm sunny conditions, Butterflies were out in profusion. I've honestly only seen so many butterflies together twice before. Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Small Skipper were the commonest. But Dark Green Fritilary, Common Blue, Ringlet and Brown Argus were also out and about. A glorious day
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Not a Butterfly as you can see :lol:

.......but a Goat Moth caterpillar, (I'm fairly sure that's correct anyway) seen today in the New Forest, it's a monster, 100mm long, 15mm diameter, hope it's of some interest.
IMG_8289-c-r-f-goat_moth.jpg
IMG_8291-c-r-f-goat_moth.jpg

Return to “Sightings”