Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Willrow

Re: Pauline

Post by Willrow »

Let me just echo the comments of many others here Pauline...your reports and lovely images are a joy to behold :)

Loved your Emperor Moth larva shots, simply superb caterpillars...you can get so attached :lol:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I appreciate that comment David, thank you. Having seen so many eggs earlier in the year I thought there would be loads of cats, but not so. I guess there are just too many predators :(

Thank you too William - especially as I was holding the camera with one hand trying to keep loads of vegetation out of the way with the other :lol:

I might even do the same Wurzel :D , and if I don't see you there perhaps we might catch up at Shipton? Thank you for the compliment :D

I am really pleased you think so Bill. Yes, you can get VERY attached to those cats :lol: Sorry, but you've started me off now and I just have to post a few updated images (tho' not as nicely posed as your one):
P1590559ad.jpg
P1590583ad.jpg
P1590603ad.jpg
P1590617ad.jpg
P1590621ad.jpg
They are eating me out of house and home so I had to visit my local common to get some more heather for them. Whilst there I saw a single Blue which I assume is either a Common Blue or SSB but probably too worn to tell. I noticed the tips of his antennae were yellow/orange but that doesn't seem to be the case for either of those species so I assume these must have faded too:
P1590468ad.jpg
An underside shot which doesn't help much:
P1590463ad.jpg
Whilst there I saw several of these evil looking creatures (Robber fly?):
P1590481ad.jpg
and lots of Gatekeepers, Meadow Brown and many fresh Large Skippers:
P1590446ad.jpg
P1590440ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A brief mid afternoon visit today to Oxenbourne was aimed at photographing female SSS but despite two pairs of eyes these proved difficult to locate. Along with masses of Chalkhills and Small Skippers, a couple of DGF in various states of wear sailed around the site. I was able to get reasonably close to one of them but as has been the way this season the wind was a problem:
P1590650ad.jpg
P1590646ad.jpg
P1590674ad.jpg
P1590671ad.jpg
A Marbled White was hunkered down in the grass trying to avoid the breeze, a sensible move although possibly why it had picked up so many parasites:
P1590683ad.jpg
Still looking for the female SSS when I caught a glimpse of a male SSS. I managed a shot but he was the one with the frayed wing from earlier in the week. Instead I was distracted by this rather lovely moth. I have not had it in the trap and shall need to find out what it is:
P1590703ad.jpg
P1590694ad.jpg
P1590706ad.jpg
Still looking for SSS when I saw some sort of bee in the middle of the path which seemed to be in some distress. I helped him onto a flower head and took a few shots but his expression just does not show any kind of gratitude :roll:
P1590726ad.jpg
At last i found my target but she didn't hang around for long - only a couple of shots:
P1590743ad.jpg
P1590745ad.jpg
Not the shots I was hoping for but it is early days and I shall return. On leaving the site it was nice to see a couple of fresh Common Blue:
P1590754ad.jpg

William

Post by William »

Cracking photos as ever, Pauline. The Blue looks like Silver - Studded, and the moth, a Dusky Sallow...

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=327

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with William, I'd go for Silver Stud for the blue, it's the shape of the hind wings that made me think SSB.
Cracking Silver-spot Skipper. :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the compliment and the ID's William. I was going to ask you how you knew it was SSB but presumably the same way as Wurzel?

Thank you Wurzel - very few SSS around here (7 max counted to date, 5m, 2F) so hope numbers will pick up soon.

Very little to report except that Paul was kind enough to give me precise details of where he found the Painted Lady larva and despite the threatening rain I couldn't resist a quick look. As I arrived on site the heavens literally opened and the wind swept the rain across the fields. More concerned for my camera than myself, my visit was understandably brief. I found a couple of cats but definitely not PL:
P1590784ad.jpg
P1590793ad.jpg
This creature (grasshopper nymph?) was only a little less wet than myself :lol:
P1590801ad.jpg
The closest I got to PL was their larval webs - saw many of these with a concentration in 2 particular areas (both in the second field Paul). I assume that by now they have all either pupated or were sensibly tucked away in a much drier spot - I decided to follow their lead and made a bee line for the car. A smashing little spot tho' and I would have liked a longer look in drier conditions but other priorities are restricting me at the moment.
P1590803ad.jpg
P1590805ad.jpg

News from the Straits - lots of WA eggs and little'uns now :D
P1590812ad.jpg
P1590835ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sorry to disagree with my colleagues but I go for Common Blue, on account of the distinct double fringes - darker inner, plain white outer. My ID skills are, however, never that reliable :)

Nice to see the SSS - I must get to Aston Rowant if this dire weather ever improves.

Mike

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Fine set of images Pauline, and isn't it great when a 'never seen one before' moth species crops up...really nice Dusky Sallow bonus :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, not browsed your diary for a few days, some very intersting stuff. I'd have to agree with William and Wurzel with that being a decrepid SSB. For me, although it's pretty well beaten up, I think there's enough off a broad black border still visable to confirm a SSB.

Your little 'grasshopper nymph' is a Speckled Bush Cricket nymph, the hairy ginger cat is a Muslin Moth.....no idea about the green one though :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

bugboy wrote:I'd have to agree with William and Wurzel with that being a decrepid SSB. For me, although it's pretty well beaten up
We might be at cross-purposes! I was referring to the last pic after the skippers, in Pauline's 2nd post dated 25th July (7.25 pm), which I think is a Common Blue. I agree that the earlier 'beaten up' photo in the previous post (5.58 pm) is SSB.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, I'm pleased we're all in agreement that it is a SSB, but I wish I was able to identify these butterflies as well as you guys!

Thank you for the ID's Buggy - by coincidence I was just browsing the moth book that was given to me and thinking what a fine creature that Muslin moth is. Hope it was a male - beautiful grey colouring and a moth I would very much like to see.

Thank you Bill. Speaking of 'one never seen before....' - my activities have been severely restricted of late as they always are when the animals need extra care. Exactly a year ago I was very concerned about Chance (who is still going strong despite his advanced age btw) but Foxy has now started fitting again (usually accompanies the moult for some reason) and has a very upset stomach (need I say more?!). This necessitated a trip to the launderette with his bedding and I found this moth fluttering around in there, crashing against the dryers. I had not seen one before so I brought it back for a couple of photos and ID. The closest I can get is Old Lady?
P1590888ad.jpg
P1590890ad.jpg
Yesterday, as I was sitting in the garden with Foxy on my knee trying to give him some comfort and reassurance I caught a glimpse of a white butterfly egg-laying on a plant growing out of the cracks in some paving. I think it was a Small White but I have no idea what the plant is. One thing is certain, if the half dozen eggs are to survive they will have to be moved or the hens/ducks/slugs will have them - if they do not get trodden on first!
P1590881ad.jpg
P1590867ad.jpg
P1590855ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, no worries with the ID's, talking of which you are correct with the Old lady ID and your mystery plant is Garlic Mustard, the Orange-tip favourite. It is also one of the GVW's favourites LHP and I would bet you saw one of them rather than a Small White laying :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you again Buggy. I am sure you are right re White Id as I only got the briefest of glimpses but if I can hopefully protect the eggs, all will be revealed in due course. The Garlic Mustard had me fooled as I thought the leaves were more pointed but you are (as usual :D ) correct :D :D

I was interested to note that this WA larva has chosen not to use the central vein of the leaf for his platform extension:
P1590910ad.jpg
P1590917ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

As I went to check on the foxes this morning there was a distinct nip in the air and I got a whiff of wood smoke from a local bonfire. The sun was just rising - not the golden glow of a Summer’s day but a harsh white glare throwing the Oak trees towering over the house into stark relief. I realised I hadn't seen any Purple Hairstreaks in them this year! I passed the Emperor moth cats on my way down the garden, both stretched along the length of their heather stems where they would remain until the temperature rose a little. Despite the chilly morning and a warm kennel, Saffron had chosen to fall asleep over a log:
P1590902ad.jpg
A family of Goldcrest and a few young Siskins had already started on their breakfast and a fine mist was rising from the grass as the dew started to evaporate. The badgers who visit each night had cleared up every morsel of the substantial supper left out for them, needing to put on weight now in preparation for Winter. Although still July, it seemed very Autumnal and reminded me that, for me at least, the butterfly season will be over oh so soon..... but for now, I am trying to squeeze as much as possible out of it.
P1600042ad.jpg
P1600029ad.jpg
Foxy is improving ever so slowly and needs lots of company and reassurance at the moment. However, he is sleeping a lot (which is good) and this gives me small windows of opportunity to get out there and see what is happening. Such was the case yesterday when I was able to spend a little over an hour at Oxenbourne – exactly a year to the day when I photographed a mating pair of SSS there. (I am still not sure how you manage to restrict yourself to 5 mins Wurzel as I don’t think that is something I could ever do).

Although my target was to see how the SSS are faring, given my limited time I was prepared to take a shot at anything that presented itself – and this came along first!
P1590918ad.jpg
Second up was a Silver Washed Frit. It felt a bit like Deja Vu! I did not want to just repeat myself this year but I found myself watching this female egg-laying, albeit at a different site, almost a year to the day when I found them ovi-posting en masse at Alice Holt.
P1590921ad.jpg
P1590960ad.jpg
P1590966ad.jpg
Eventually I reached the hotspot for the Skippers. I say ‘eventually’ but in actual fact it is not far from the entrance – just through the broken gate and up the steep steps, then a very short walk. However, I kept getting distracted by all manner of things:
P1590969ad.jpg
P1600003ad.jpg

I was slightly disappointed that there weren’t more SSS. I probably saw 5 male and 2 female (and no egg-laying) but fingers crossed this will improve. In their usual fashion, the males tended to stay mostly on the ground, surrounded by loads of vegetation, whilst the females played hide and seek amongst the nectar sources. Some of the males were looking really quite worn.
P1590990ad.jpg
P1590991ad.jpg
P1600021ad.jpg
P1590979ad.jpg

I was pleased to see 2 mating pairs (that’s how I know there were at least 2 females), but the first pair was carried off by the wind. The second pair also, but not before I got a few long distance shots.
P1590996ad.jpg
P1590998ad.jpg
P1590999ad.jpg

It was by far time to get back but as I strolled in the direction of the exit a Meadow Brown egg-laying caught my eye. I have never seen this before – or the eggs, so I was pleased to be able to get this shot before I departed:
P1600012ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A very poetic appreciation of the early morning! Saffron looks as though sleeping is a better idea at that time. I went to look for SSS at Aston Rowant, yesterday, but only one 'possible' It was very cool on the slope, but today looks much more promising - not quite Autumn yet!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike. Just a tiny glimpse into my daily routine. I could have given you the 2.00am version - moonlight, shooting stars, owl, hedgehog, moth trap etc........ but I'm sure folk would rather know that 3 BH were seen at Noar Hill this am.
P1600286ad.jpg
P1600255ad.jpg
P1600280ad.jpg
P1600254ad.jpg
P1600289ad.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Pauline;
I must award you at least 1,000 mrgreens :mrgreen: for those Brown Hairstreak images. I was only
saying to Doug yesterday that they should be out soon. The site i go to never seems to attract males
down from the trees. Maybe this year.( Beautiful Fox by the way ).

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill SSS's and Fantastic Brostreak shots Pauline :mrgreen: My five minute stop-offs are easy to do when they're a necessity :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Trevor - however, I think that is slightly less than what I awarded you when I saw your PE and LT images :lol: Saffron is a very feminine little vixen so I shall pass the compliment on to her as I'm sure she'll be delighted :wink:

Thank you too Wurzel. Your self-discipline is amazing :D

I'm sure Nick L. will not mind me saying that today he showed me some fantastic shots he took of both male and female BH at Noar Hill on Tuesday at 7.30am!!! So, they have been out almost a week here. I believe that the 3rd image in my last post was a male as he was very pale compared to the female (almost a beige, creamy colour compared to the brilliant gold female). There was no sign of them this morning but there was some compensation in seeing 16 other species, some worn but many very fresh. Amongst them was this Ringlet which I believe is Ab. arete:
P1600379ad.jpg
P1600396ad.jpg
P1600400ad.jpg
... compared to the norm:
P1600320ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

For those who might be interested (and so as not to clutter up Goldie's diary) I would just like to explain my lack of recent posts. At 10.00pm on Sunday Foxy had a massive fit, necessitating an emergency trip to the vet. Sadly he did not recover from it and I made the decision to pts. So now I have lost both of these dear companions:
DSC07869d.JPG
My main concern now is his best mate Chance who was like his shadow. They ate together
DSC02029d.jpg
even if it was the peanuts put out for the birds (partners in crime!)
DSC09337a.jpg
They shared a drink and then curled up in bed:
DSC02014d.jpg
P1460419ad.jpg
In fact, they just generally hung out together; where one was, you would be sure to find the other:
P1020357ad.jpg
DSC09502d.jpg
DSC01132d.jpg
Chance is older than Foxy and is missing him dreadfully. I am struggling to get him to eat and he is on my knee as I type this. Saffron, the vixen carries a soft toy around, crying softly to it, even in her sleep. It is heartbreaking. So, the upshot is butterfly activity is significantly restricted. Hopefully the situation will improve soon.
Last edited by Pauline on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”