millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks again, all. :) It would nice to see a Small Copper, Neil - I think I've seen only two all year. :(

Over the last few days, I've been staying with my sister near York. The weather has been dry and quite warm, but mostly cloudy unfortunately. Nevertheless, there have been a few butterflies, including my most northern Marbled Whites.

20th July: The first walk was to Allerthorpe Common, near Pocklington. A few years ago this area of sandy heath abounded with Small Coppers, but there were none to be seen today. However, Small Skippers were frequent, as were Ringlets, and there were a fair few Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Large Skippers, Speckled Woods and Small Tortoiseshells. I had to adjust to it being about a fortnight behind everything at home.
SS1 200715.JPG
SS2 200715.JPG
SS3 200715.JPG
GK1 200715.JPG
GK2 200715.JPG
LS1 200715.JPG
SpW1 200715.JPG
There was also a lovely new Peacock.
Peacock1 200715.JPG
One highlight was that rarity of the multiple-species photo. I took a shot of a nectaring Ringlet, adjusting the angle at the last minute to take account of a Large Skipper on a neighbouring flower. Reviewing the photo later, I found a Small Skipper was also in the frame.
RT+SS+LS 200715.JPG
That's the first 3-in1 I've managed for a while.

Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hard to get a three-in-one shot Dave...you just ask any golfer :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
millerd

Post by millerd »

The mind boggles, Bill... :? :)

Garden interludes: Over the few days away, I managed to see a few butterflies in my sister's semi-wild garden. With the season running a little late, there were no Peacocks at all yet, and the White butterflies were only just starting to lay on the nasturtiums. A selection:
RA1 210715.JPG
SW1 210715.JPG
SW1 220715.JPG
GVW1 220715.JPG
GVW2 220715.JPG
LW1 220715.JPG
LW2 220715.JPG
ST2 210715.JPG
ST1 210715.JPG
21st July: Though still largely cloudy, the sun was warm through the overcast, and we had a drive out onto the York Wolds. This is chalk downland, similar to parts of the South Downs with deeply incised valleys and steep slopes. We stopped where the road north east of Millington runs next to the Wolds Way (at SE849540) and had a walk up the nearest bit of hillside.
Wolds Way 210715.JPG
Almost immediately we disturbed a Marbled White from the grass, and along the path to the top saw perhaps 25 - 30 of these. When the sun peeped through, they roused themselves, getting caught by the brisk wind blowing from the west.
MW1 210715.JPG
MW2 210715.JPG
MW3 210715.JPG
MW4 210715.JPG
MW5 210715.JPG
MW6 210715.JPG
MW8 210715.JPG
The grass also played host to Ringlets, Small Skippers, Meadow Browns, a couple of Small Tortoiseshells and a single Small Heath.
SS1 210715.JPG
SH1 210715.JPG
This is the furthest north I have seen Marbled Whites, and as with the other species they are a fortnight behind their southern cousins. The Wolds are probably the northernmost stronghold of this butterfly, and this is certainly the furthest north I've seen them - it was good to see healthy numbers too. A walk along the length of the Wolds Way in July might reveal whether there is continuity in the distribution of the species. The way they were carried long distances by the wind would indicate mobility (voluntary or not!).
MW7 210715.JPG
On the return trip, we dropped into Calley Heath, a piece of remnant heathy grassland where I had seen Small Coppers and Brown Argus in late August last year. All there was flying this time were a few Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns, including this mating pair.
MB pair 210715.JPG
Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, you'd think some of the Marble Whites would visit Lancashire but I've never heard of any being seen here yet which is a pity because they're one of my favourites, love your photos of them, I think they may be a bit shabby when I go South this weekend, especially with the weather forecasting rain Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great reportage and shots Dave :D That landscape view is lush - if I squint my eyes it's almost as if I'm there :D I'm just wondering if NBAs might feature in future posts as well as HBFs and Scotch Argus?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

These may actually be some of your nearest Marbled Whites, Goldie - a bit of a trek across the Pennines, mind! :) Not sure why they prefer the east side of the country and have ignored Lancashire :?

If only, Wurzel... This year, a combination of factors (including very iffy weather forecasts) prevented travelling up or back via Arnside, and the possibility of seeing those three species has now evaporated for the year. In fact, the first Scotch Argus was only seen yesterday, so I might well have missed out on that completely anyway, and NBA are also a bit hit and miss at this end of their season. Also, the area of Yorkshire I was in is soundly Brown Argus country - the nearest NBA are some way away. The whole year has been a bit like that. :(

July 23rd: As mentioned above, the trip back home did not involve Arnside this year and was under cloudy skies all the way, with temperatures only scraping above 20 south of Leicester. Nevertheless, there was the opportunity of a side-step to Aston Rowant towards the end of the journey as the cloud-cover thinned a little. However, it clearly wasn't warm enough to mobilise any Silver-spotted Skippers (if any were out), and barely so to stir the Chalkhill Blues. However, one or two were basking, though the majority were nose down and roosting.
ChB3 230715.JPG
ChB1 230715.JPG
ChB2 230715.JPG
A few Small Tortoiseshells were also disturbed on the paths, and Small Skippers were numerous if you looked closely at the vegetation.
SS1 230715.JPG
One individual started to vibrate its wings rapidly while sitting on a flowerhead - I've seen this behaviour before, but have no idea why one might do this.
SS2 230715.JPG
July 24th: Welcome Home! A complete washout - heavy rain all day. :(

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear that those three species won't be on your tally this year :( Even though I've been lucky a few times most of this year has felt like hard work, a real slog to get any results :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Dave,

The vibrating wings behaviour is to do with increasing body temperature in cool weather in order to stay active. Same principal of us shivering when cold, a by product of muscle movement being the production of heat. Presumably the skipper didn't want to end up stuck on that flower head so it was making sure it had enough energy to find a suitable roosting spot :) .

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

It definitely has been hard work this year, Wurzel. The best weather has avoided the weekends, the car played up for a while, and work hasn't been so generous with ad hoc days off. I have the coming week off and the weather forecast promises gales and rain and only improves as we go into August - when I go back to work. :evil:

July 25th: Today wasn't too bad, though the wind was a nuisance, as were large annoying banks of cloud. I went back to Aston Rowant in the hope the sunshine might have tempted the Silver-spotted Skippers out. It had, but they were difficult to track down - hiding in the grass when the sun was in and dashing madly about when it was out. The wind didn't help. However, I saw over a dozen, and got a few photos.
SSS1 250715.JPG
SSS2 250715.JPG
SSS3 250715.JPG
SSS4 250715.JPG
The Chalkhills were more obliging, as they were sitting on the ground basking - though this doesn't make for much of an aesthetic backdrop.
ChB1 250715.JPG
ChB2 250715.JPG
ChB3 250715.JPG
ChB4 250715.JPG
ChB5 250715.JPG
ChB8 250715.JPG
ChB9 250715.JPG
I spotted a female in amongst the still largely fresh males too.
ChB6 250715.JPG
I was surprised not to see any Brown Argus yet, and only one Common Blue, which was a dark female.
CB1 250715.JPG
CB2 250715.JPG
There were still a handful of Marbled Whites, plus Meadow Browns and Ringlets, and large numbers of Small Skippers.
MW1 250715.JPG
SS1 250715.JPG
Along the hedgerow at the bottom (lots of thistles and marjoram), there were a few Small Tortoiseshells, one very mobile Dark Green Fritillary and a single new brood Brimstone.
Brimstone1 250715.JPG
Brimstone2 250715.JPG
Returning to the gate, the brambles sheltered a number of Gatekeepers, including this new female.
GK1 250715.JPG
Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave,

I am also off work next week, in my case I am heading north and the weather is looking pretty grim up there for a couple of days at least.

Great report and photos from Aston Rowant. Looks like things are running a little late there as well.

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to see that you were able to get out and make the most of the only decent day of the fortnight Dave, great shots of a brill little butterfly, they're teh favourite of my girls :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good luck with your trip north, Neil - I hope there are a few sunny spells at least. I am hoping that there will be a bit of sunshine before I go back to work, though it doesn't look very warm. Another crack at those skippers would be good, Wurzel - they are the cutest of a cute bunch of species. :wink:

25th July (continued): There was time for a quick look at my local patch for the first time in a week. Commas and Red Admirals dominated the late afternoon walk, with at least 8 of each seen in various places, plus a couple of Peacocks.
Comma1 250715.JPG
Comma2 250715.JPG
RA1 250715.JPG
Comma3 250715.JPG
Comma4 250715.JPG
RA2 250715.JPG
There were still good numbers of Gatekeepers and one or two Small Heaths and Meadow Browns. The second brood of Common Blues is well under way, with two distinct groups seen, one of which was next to the river in a spot where none were seen in spring (but where B-FT is growing well). In the other location, there were also a couple of Brown Argus.
CB1 250715.JPG
CB3 250715.JPG
CB4 250715.JPG
CB5 250715.JPG
The females blues I saw were all dark, like the one at Aston Rowant, and in complete contrast to the majority of blue females seen in spring.
CB2 250715.JPG
CB7 250715.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great range of Commas again dave, especially the penulimate one :D :mrgreen: Great to see the next wave of Common Blues and an interesting observation about the Blues and the females finally living up to the 'typical' image portrayed in fieldguides.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, Wurzel, that really dark Comma almost has an evil look about it! :twisted: I'm sure this year's crop of hutchinsoni have had more variety than I can remember: a fascinating study comparing the photos. I suppose that this is the sort of thing the old collectors used to get obsessed about (though Commas were a bit of a rarity in those days I believe). Yes, good to see dark female Common Blues again, the sort you really can think "Brown Argus" about for a moment... :)

27th July: After another complete washout yesterday, it failed to rain at all today. However, cloud ruled for most of it, but there were two bright intervals, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I made the most of both, dashing out from home onto my local patch. The morning sudden burst of sun brought out lots of active White butterflies, none of which were in the least bit approachable. There were also quite a few Holly Blues patrolling the brambles, stopping to nectar, though mostly high up. There will hopefully be more of this - I would guess all the honeydew has been washed off the trees by now!
HB1 270715.JPG
I saw only three or four Commas today (plus a Peacock and a single Red Admiral), but one was a relatively fresh example.
Comma1 270715.JPG
Comma2 270715.JPG
A close-up of the underside shows the normal "comma" mark is subtly split, almost turning it into a " ? ".
Comma cu 270715.JPG

The late afternoon excursion was different, in that the sun appeared while I was in a different area. The butterflies that were energised were Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, a few Small Heaths, a single Essex Skipper, a Brown Argus and several Common Blues. One Gatekeeper sported a pale area on one side, enough to stand out clearly in flight.
GK1 270715.JPG
A Meadow Brown found basking was really rather worn and quite well camouflaged against the ground.
MB1 270715.JPG
The Brown Argus had also been in the wars, with the damage mostly on one side and with distinct lines of missing scales characteristic of an encounter with a spider's web.
BA2 270715.JPG
BA1 270715.JPG
The Blues were surprisingly fresh, though with a few splodges caused by water damage - hardly surprising, given yesterday's weather.
CB1 270715.JPG
CB3 270715.JPG
CB10 270715.JPG
CB8 270715.JPG
CB9 270715.JPG
Dave

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

From the Yorkshire Wolds to the Oxfordshire hillsides your comprehensive reports make for very interesting reading Dave, I've also enjoyed your great range of species images :)

I commiserate on the poor weather your having to deal with, same here in south Wales, it hasn't been a very kind July :( Hope August improves matters for us :wink:

Oh! and thank you for your recent input on my PD, much appreciated.

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you Bill - for your kind comments and commiserations on the weather. There are some hints of an improvement. :)

And going back a little way, thank you Buggy for your info about the shivering skipper. I watched a Red Admiral do it today as it tried to bask in some non-existent sunshine.

28th July: More of the same weather - almost constant cloud and just the briefest hints of sun. In a very short walk relatively close to home, I saw eight or nine Holly Blues. They were to be found nectaring on brambles or just sitting uncomfortably on wind-buffeted leaves. What brightness there was didn't tempt any of them into opening their wings.
HB1 280715.JPG
HB2 280715.JPG
HB3 280715.JPG
HB6 280715.JPG
HB8 280715.JPG
HB7 280715.JPG
As usual, the cloud didn't put off the Red Admirals, and when turning away from a Holly Blue, I found these two sitting pretty well behind me.
RAx2 280715.JPG
RA2 280715.JPG
RA1 280715.JPG
I saw at least two others elsewhere, a few Whites, and a handful of Gatekeepers.
GK1 280715.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

29th July: Another cloudy day, but I needed to go out somewhere - I chose Box Hill, but instead of choosing the usual open slopes, I elected to follow one of the walking routes recommended by the NT. Along the path to Broadwood's Folly, the sun did come out briefly, enough to entice a female Silver-washed Fritillary down onto an extensive bank of brambles.
SWF3 290715.JPG
SWF2 290715.JPG
SWF1 290715.JPG
A Comma joined it for a short while before disappearing into the trees. On the path, a Holly Blue tried vainly to settle on the damp ground, but was disturbed by there being too many feet around, some human, some canine. The route passed a viewpoint over the open zig-zag slopes (only Meadow Browns here) before heading down the other way to Juniper Bottom. Down here, a single male Silver-washed Fritillary was sat in a tree, vainly waiting for the sun to reappear.
SWF4 290715.JPG
The walk took in part of Headley Heath on its way back over to the southern slopes at Brockham, but no more butterflies were seen until I'd reached the easternmost part of Dukes, where I found some roosting Chalkhill Blues.
ChB1 290715.JPG
Once into the last area of open ground before getting back to the viewpoint slopes, another burst of sun energised a Silver-spotted Skipper which dived down into the grass in front of me. It was well-concealed, and the grass spoiled the photo somewhat.
SSS1 290715.JPG
One or two other butterflies took advantage of the momentary sunshine, and I found a nice Brown Argus and a rather worn female Common Blue amongst the Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers.
BA1 290715.JPG
CB1 290715.JPG
The sun then went in, and that was it. A repeat of the exercise on a better day would be a good idea, but a plan to try this on Sunday has been thwarted by yet another cycling event at Box Hill, with associated road closures. :(

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Once again we missed bumping into each other on box hill!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Dave :D I know what you mean about the need to 'just get out there'...I experienced it on Wednesday and so took off for Botany Bay, a journey well worth making :D In fact I can feel the need coming on again...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,
It's good to see that you're keeping up with the Holly Blues. I once thought that you had a monopoly
on them !. I was even thinking it might be the Kerosine fumes from the airport that made the open
their wings for you :lol:. Seriously though, i've been watching the second brood very closely and the
males, when newly emerged, fly close to the ground searching it would seem for Bird droppings.
After indulging they then fly onto low vegetation to warm up, and sometimes open up. How long this
behaviour goes on for i'm not sure, but older males are always flying high and seldom come down low.
I expect they are then searching for females. I have yet to find a second brood female so far this season.

Keep up the good work,
TREVOR.

Return to “Personal Diaries”