Identity parade!

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Reverdin

Identity parade!

Post by Reverdin »

These were all taken at Stelvio Pass where warrenensis is said to fly at this time of year. I believe the majority of these are cacaliae but I do think there is at least one warrenensis among them. I have no underside shots as it was a very hot day, and they weren't at all obliging. They were all smaller than any cacaliae I have seen before, some were tiny.
Anyway, if anyone with experience of Warren's feels able to cast an opinion, here they are with altitude attached...
1 - 2320m
1 - 2320m
2 - 2370m
2 - 2370m
3 - 2450m
3 - 2450m
4 - 2500m
4 - 2500m
5 - 2650m
5 - 2650m
6 - 2650m
6 - 2650m
7 - 2700m
7 - 2700m
Reverdin

Re: Identity parade!

Post by Reverdin »

Checking against Matt Rowling's page on warrenensis, I believe now all except one of the above are that species. I think No 4 is cacaliae. Please put me right if anyone can though :D
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Ok, now having seen Guy's observations in his own diary, I now think I have ONE picture here of Warren's. I would be very grateful for anyone interjecting on this soliloquy, although I think this must be the most difficult of differentiations without being in the field to see them, so understand the silence :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes - it is very difficult without being there! I promise I will publish my thoughts, but events keep intervening ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
daveboyle

Post by daveboyle »

Not claiming to have any knowledge of these species at all but I would have thought your first photo is the only one that maybe shows something different due to the reduced chequered fringes to both wings

Return to “Identification”