Aude 2015

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Charles Nicol

Aude 2015

Post by Charles Nicol »

Bonjour les amis !

Arrived on Thursday evening. On Friday the temperature rose to over 40 deg which triggered an almighty storm. Yesterday went for first butterfly expedition. Saw Great Banded Grayling, Scarce Swallowtail, Glanville Fritillary, Purple Hairstreak etc

pics:

.... more in due course

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22/
David M

Re: Aude 2015

Post by David M »

Looking forward to this, Charles, as ever. :)
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Went to the hills overlooking Pomas this morning. Cloudy at first but the sun broke through eventually. Saw plenty of blues ( pics ) and a lovely fritillary ( pics ). One grizzled skipper ( pics ) . Luncheon at the estimable Képi Blanc.

Will return to P. tomorrow if weather permits... will check out the river area.
David M

Post by David M »

Some tempting cuisine there, Charles. Nice Knapweed Fritillary too!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Charles,
Bienvenue en France, mon ami !
I had difficulties with "flikr" for a start, but I'm getting images through now - and very nice they are !
I think the computer boffs block access at work - who do they think they are, hé ?
I also am seeing pirithous and boeticus at the moment down in Marseilles.
I will stay tuned, of course.
Chris
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Merci Davide et Christophe :wink:

thanks for the Knapweed Fritillary ID;

Went for long explore today... weather was very sunny until about 3pm when the clouds arrived. There are not so many nectar flowers compared to previous years in the fields and beside the roads... i guess this is due to the heatwave recently.

i was wondering what this blue plant is... it is often grown in fields next to vineyards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captaincatkin/19931113279

it is a magnet for many species of Blue butterflies and others.

tomorrow has a mauvais forecaste so i shall concentrate on the gastronomie :)

the boggy area where i saw Apatura spp in previous years has completely dried up... did not see a saucisson there today :(
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Charles Nicol wrote: ... There are not so many nectar flowers compared to previous years in the fields and beside the roads... i guess this is due to the heatwave recently ... (
I agree, Charles, I think the heatwave has accelerated the season :shock:
Many of my species over here have taken early retirement it seems.
Chris
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

cjackson wrote:
Charles Nicol wrote: ... There are not so many nectar flowers compared to previous years in the fields and beside the roads... i guess this is due to the heatwave recently ... (
I agree, Charles, I think the heatwave has accelerated the season :shock:
Many of my species over here have taken early retirement it seems.
Chris
there seem to be more gatekeepers than last year...

the weather is looking much better tomorrow & should be scorchio for Sunday & Monday 8)

i did see a large butterfly flying fast yesterday but not a Pasha methinks

Charles
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

massive thunderstorms seem to be a regular Friday fixture here :shock:

fortunately i was able to get down from the hill in time to shelter in the bar at Pomas before the heavens opened.

i did manage to see a few butterflies despite the 98% cloud cover before the storm.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22/

a large dark butterfly flew up from the path near the top of the hill, but i did not get a clear view...

i shall return for another quick look this afternoon.

thankfully it should be wall to wall sunshine from tomorrow :D

Charles

PS had my first ever txistorra yesterday... :P
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

When butterflying in changeable weather, Charles, I think one should always be within dashing distance from some hostellerie should the weather turn for the worse.
Your green lizard blends in well with its habitat. :D
That dish with the penne pasta is mouthwatering - was it canard ?
txistorra = sausage ?
Miam miam,
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Charles, I hope you don't mind me being so direct, but what is the principal purpose of your annual pilgrimages to the Aude Valley?
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

cjackson wrote:When butterflying in changeable weather, Charles, I think one should always be within dashing distance from some hostellerie should the weather turn for the worse.
Your green lizard blends in well with its habitat. :D
That dish with the penne pasta is mouthwatering - was it canard ?
txistorra = sausage ?
Miam miam,
Chris
txistorra = basque sausage :D

pasta dish = coq au vin :shock:

today i did have duck for lunch ( see pics https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22 ) & very nice it was too...

yesterday i saw a PADQ ; it was rather tatty ( see pics ) so must have been around for quite a while. at the same hilltop location was a Red Admiral battling with a Painted Lady :?
Last edited by Charles Nicol on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

David M wrote:Charles, I hope you don't mind me being so direct, but what is the principal purpose of your annual pilgrimages to the Aude Valley?
my aim is to explore all the facets of this fascinating corner of France with the assistance of the 1 euro train....
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

the Aude offers wonderful countryside as well as all the services which the discerning visitor could ask for:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captainca ... 02510@N22/

8) 8)
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

first trip to Preixan this year. Fine and sunny with a light breeze. A large meadow of lucerne was alive with blues, Clouded Yellow and a fine Painted Lady (pic). Along the path were various small fritillaries including first Spotted of the year (no pic :cry: ) and a few grizzled skippers;
the uphill section was depleted of butterflies compared to previous years. At the top i was pleased to be buzzed by a fresh Two Tailed Pasha
20128021769_9f6d8c140f_b.jpg

Further along was a much older specimen which provided open winged pics.
19693667343_af5d9dacd6_b.jpg
next i went to the little meadow below the telecomms mast overlooking Preixan. Again very depleted of butterflies :cry: the whin bushes now occupy 1/2 of the meadow area.

then through the pine woods downhill ... a few Wall but not as many as previous. then the oak trees... saw one or two Purple Hairstreaks but no pics.

8) 8)

Charles
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

yesterday i left the train at Verzeille and walked to Pomas. there were plenty of Blues in the lucerne meadows... but i was delighted to find this beauty in some allotments on the edge of Pomas:

20371513416_b65c3e2aa5_b.jpg
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Yesterday ( Sunday ) was breezy and fairly cloudy to start off, but pleasant for walking. i caught the train to Couffoulens then walked north towards Pomas. i came across one LPE at the edge of the sandy area in the poplar woods. at first i thought it was a Speckled Wood...
another was nearby but did not stop for a picture. i noticed several LPEs flying across the river ...more poplar trees on the opposite bank.
after lunch the weather declined; by 7pm it was raining hard as i waited for the bus.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22/pool/
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

How lucky you are Charles to see LPEs - no chance down my way - too hot and dry probably. :(
Chris
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

cjackson wrote:How lucky you are Charles to see LPEs - no chance down my way - too hot and dry probably. :(
Chris
they are all near the river Aude in poplar-rich areas...

had a wonderful session this morning at the same location as before near Preixan; the LPEs were making merry ... i saw about 10 in all. one landed on my shirt ( blue stripy since you ask :wink: )

on the way to the woods i saw a lovely moth Paysandisia archon on some gates:
19864563023_e700e2ff14_b.jpg

all pics posted here:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22/pool
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

yesterday i visited a seafood restaurant near the railway station in Carcassonne. the menu du jour included a plate of whelks with aïoli followed by delicious fried sardines.

pics here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2902510@N22/pool/

in the evening i tried my hand at bat photography at the campsite... you can just about make out the little blighters :lol:
20351019350_7c5e3d20b8_b.jpg
the weather is again questionable so butterflies are off the menu at the moment... unlike plenty of other things are :wink:

Charles

8) 8)

Return to “Overseas”