Willrow

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Willrow

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots and cheers for the info Tregaron it is for me (hopefully next year) :D Those Darters are some of the best looking I've seen I can easily see how you've become enamoured :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bill, you had better luck with your photos than I had :D Great shots of the Large Heath, when I went to Meathop I couldn't leave the boardwalk either I'd have gone up to the ankles in the bog, one side of the bog wasn't too bad but wouldn't you know it they always landed on the other side :lol:
I don't have any shots of the S S Blue yet and the fact you say Whixall Moss is near to it, means I may be able to visit both next year with luck, I'll put it on my todo list and may be I'll get some good shots of both. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Never seen White-faced Darters, they are lovely insects. I'll keep an eye out for them when I go looking for some of the lepi reginal specialities! I couldn't help but notice you have a GV White labeled as a Small White in that same post, school boy error :wink:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking shots and cheers for the info Tregaron it is for me (hopefully next year) :D
You said that last year Wurz...and I think I suggested you take your 'outlaws' along :lol:
Goldie M wrote:I may be able to visit both next year with luck, I'll put it on my todo list and may be I'll get some good shots of both. Goldie :D
Kill two birds with one stone that way Goldie...Oops! that doesn't sound too good does it... :roll: :oops:
bugboy wrote: I couldn't help but notice you have a GV White labeled as a Small White in that same post...
I had it down as a summer generation Small White Buggy :shock: but now you've got me wondering :? I've seen loads of confusion caused by going on the veins alone - I've just had a quick check in Wildguides Britain's Butterflies and the Small White summer generation male photographic illustration there is very very similar, if you have the 2nd edition of this book check it out...cos' I'm right confused now :? :lol: ...help :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've had a look at that book and I think what you're seeing is the shadows caused by the folds in the wing. Comparing your picture to those illustrated in there I reckon yours is a female GV White. Definately GV though :)

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

bugboy wrote:I've had a look at that book and I think what you're seeing is the shadows caused by the folds in the wing. Comparing your picture to those illustrated in there I reckon yours is a female GV White. Definately GV though :)
Agreed Buggy :wink: and at this point I will admit to being ready for my annual Specsavers appointment :roll: :lol: well-spotted and thanks for pointing such an elementary error out - cos' I really need reminding that my eyes are not what they used to be :shock: :( ...the post has now been duly edited.

I'm glad someone is paying attention...how many of you missed that 'deliberate' mistake...ahem! :o :lol: :lol: Be very aware cos' I'll be testing you all out again...:P

Regards,

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's Okay Bill, Buggie pointed out to me that my Caterpillars were not Burnett but Cinnabar cats so your not on your own, I've just had my eyes done has well :lol: Goldie :lol:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Oh god, I've become the identification police! :oops: if it's any consolation my eyes are starting to go as well! Always had 20:20 vision until recently I've found myself holding my phone further away to use it

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Willrow wrote:
bugboy wrote: I couldn't help but notice you have a GV White labeled as a Small White in that same post...
I had it down as a summer generation Small White Buggy :shock: but now you've got me wondering :? I've seen loads of confusion caused by going on the veins alone - I've just had a quick check in Wildguides Britain's Butterflies and the Small White summer generation male photographic illustration there is very very similar, if you have the 2nd edition of this book check it out...cos' I'm right confused now :? :lol: ...help :lol:

Hi chaps,

If this is the photo you are both referring to, then I would say it's a female Small White (summer generation)
file.php willrow.jpg
Can we have a third opinion from someone please :)

Vince

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

You should stick to your guns Bill, it looks 100% Small White to me.

p.s. I love those White-faced Darters.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nope, I was refering to the underside shot in the same post. The one above is obviously a small white :)

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

bugboy wrote:Nope, I was refering to the underside shot in the same post. The one above is obviously a small white :)
Hope that clears up any further ID confusion :? ...bl**dy Small White stealing the thunder from both Large Heath form davus and those super White-faced Darters...what is UKB's coming to :shock: :wink: :lol:...and I'm off to my Specsavers appointment now :P but just before I go... :shock: :!:...
bugboy wrote:Always had 20:20 vision until recently I've found myself holding my phone further away to use it
..... :lol: :lol:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Darters are bloody fab creatures :D definately gonna have to hunt them down (might post them on here labeled as Common Darters to see if anyones awake :lol: )

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Loving this thread. It's good to have a laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Agreed Pauline :) a bit of banter makes the world go around :wink:

BW's

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Just catching up. I'm sure your two whites are correctly labelled! There must be a jinx on the place, since I once mis-identified a meadow brown as a ringlet there :shock:

I agree with you about the many small lanes around Whixall. I got totally lost until I remembered my laptop, with OS maps and a GPS dongle! SatNav was useless, as I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go on their simplified maps.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

On Thursday 16th I headed down to Kenfig NNR, near Porthcawl, Glamorgan which is a coastal location, the weather was breezy but all importantly fine. First species seen were Gatekeeper tucked away just out of the breeze down on the bracken, I spent a short time taking a few record pics before moving on towards the pool, which is rather mis-named as it's actually a fair sized lake which attracts a good number of visiting birds and migrant dragonflies, but I was not expecting to bump into a Great White Egret :shock: and with a little sneakiness :P I managed to get a few long range shots, including one of the bird trying to perch rather awkwardly on a fence post :shock: and most of the local crows that witnessed the affair are reported to be still in a state of shock :o :shock:
Fresh looking Gatekeeper on bracken
Fresh looking Gatekeeper on bracken
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Big bird on fence!
Big bird on fence!
Once I had recovered from my attack of sneakiness I checked out a nice big clump of stinging nettles for a chance of vanessid larvae and on cue a goody number of Peacock cats were seen, several looked well advanced and posed nicely for their portraits :) I will admit to having found them on this patch in the past.
Peacock larva
Peacock larva
While checking out the bracken on the pathway my eye was attracted to a small lemon coloured beetle, my first reaction was one of...well, what a coincidence! this is the same insect that Andy Dyball (fellow butterflying enthusiast) had shown me a photo of on his digicam in Fermyn Woods just a couple of weeks ago! My research tells me that this predatory beetle Cteniopus sulphureus has a distinctly southern distribution with a preference to sandy places, this makes Kenfig and it's extensive dunes perfect, I'm surprised I have not seen it there before, it's hard to miss really...lovely little beetle :)
The lemon coloured Cteniopus sulphureus
The lemon coloured Cteniopus sulphureus
The summer brood of Small Blue were evident albeit in small numbers :roll: I watched one taking minerals from the sand on the lake margins, strangely it dipped it's abdomen into the sand as if egg-laying while at the same time it tongued the sand, I watched wondering why it should be doing this...another ponderable butterflying moment :roll: :?:
Small Blue taking minerals
Small Blue taking minerals
Small Blue
Small Blue
After much pondering on the sands (sounds like one of those quaintly named English villages :lol:) I decided it was time for home and headed back to the car and stumbled into a superb example of Emperor Moth caterpillar crawling along the middle of the footpath, now there was no way I was going to let this wonderful example of larvakind get trampled by some unaware, thoughtless, uncaring non-butterflying pedestrian :evil: :roll: so just as any real hero would - I rescued it, yes, I moved it to safety onto the pathside herbage and after taking a few pics and getting it's autograph I went home a happy hero for my tea :wink:
The rescued Emperor Moth larva
The rescued Emperor Moth larva

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Small Blue Willrow but the best shots are of the Hedge Brown - that's a 6 spotter :shock: I've not got one of those in my 'collection' :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

MikeOxon wrote:I agree with you about the many small lanes around Whixall.
Complete maze Mike, but once your finally at Whixall Moss all the confusion is happily forgotten...until you try to get back out :shock: :lol:
Wurzel wrote:Cracking Small Blue Willrow but the best shots are of the Hedge Brown - that's a 6 spotter :shock: I've not got one of those in my 'collection' :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well spotted :P Wurz, I hadn't noticed...but now I've officially become a 6 spotter spotter :lol: :lol: :lol:

BW's

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

The past week has been very frustrating with weather here in south Wales, we've had far too much rain for July :roll: but I've stuck firmly to my mantra ...and "ventured out"...the results however have mean't spending time with some of our more common butterflies, but that's no real hardship :) . On Saturday 18th a visit to Magor Marsh NNR on the Gwent levels produced a very pleasing welcome in the form of an apple eating Water Vole :shock: I had to be very careful in trying to get a record photo and just managed to capture one before it became aware of me and 'plopped' into the water from it's raft. This lovely little semi-aquatic rodent has been introduced to Magor Marsh over the last few years by the Gwent Wildlife Trust, the animal was exterminated by Mink on the levels many moons ago, the rafts incidentally are used in the reens (small canal type waterways) for feeding and monitoring etc.
My lucky capture...the original Ratty...a Water Vole!
My lucky capture...the original Ratty...a Water Vole!
After the excitement with Ratty the visit became a little showery and weather restricted with only Small Tortoiseshell, Small & Green-veined White, Small Skipper, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Speckled Wood seen during the morning, I took just a single photo of a nicely conditioned Peacock when the intermittant sun came out - before settling down to spend a bit of time with dragonflies.
The beauty that is the Peacock...
The beauty that is the Peacock...
It was 'rain stop play' until last Thursday, then there was respite (thank heavens :roll: :) ) and I decided to head into the Brecon Beacons National Park and do a walk around Llangors Lake which happens to be the largest freshwater body in southern Wales. I've spent many happy hours in this nature rich setting over the years, but today was to be a casual walking visit and what turns up...turns up...no particular species to find, no rarities to search for on this visit, just enjoy the lovely scenery and a bit of sunshine on one's back 8)
View from Llyn Llangors
View from Llyn Llangors
I passed through a wet meadow that was alive with Green-veined Whites eagerly nectaring on Meadowsweet and Marsh Thistle, we probably all take this common butterfly for granted, but I think it's a super looking insect when fresh and many I saw were exactly that, I took a few pics.
Green-veined White on stinging nettle
Green-veined White on stinging nettle
Now the next image had me head-scratching for quite a while before I decided on whether it was a male Small White or Green-veined White I only saw the upper-wing shot you see below, does this particular individual have an unusually yellowish head? whatever, I decided on Green-veined White owing to the wing-tips being more tri-angular black than Small White the actual size was of no help at all, and if you think it's the other species please explain why...cos' I never want to stop learning :wink:
Which White is wight (right)? lol
Which White is wight (right)? lol
At the far end of the afore mentioned wet meadow I saw four Commas either feeding on Marsh Thistle or flying onto bramble leaves to bask, I'm never short of wonder regarding the incredible shape and colours of this insect, folded up it's a camouflage expert, open-winged it's an advertisement for a birds take-away meal :shock: Once upon a time the Comma was a very scarce British butterfly and it's only real stronghold was (perhaps locally) within this area and the neighbouring counties of Radnorshire and in particular Herefordshire.
A fine specimen of Comma
A fine specimen of Comma
You don't usually find too much Ragwort in such highly farmed areas, I was rather pleased to note a delightfully well advanced Cinnabar moth caterpillar happily enjoying life on a plant that escaped the local farmers attention :) I've never agreed with the DEFRA policy of total eradication of Ragwort :x and yes I also know its a highly contentious issue, but I strongly believe there should always be a place for Ragwort (and Cinnabar!) in our countryside.
Cinnabar larva in it's rugby jersey outfit!!!
Cinnabar larva in it's rugby jersey outfit!!!
Its not just Cinnabar that needs Ragwort, further along my walk I came upon several other plants and many held nectaring butterflies including a nice Small Heath - its apparent that the plant is absolutely full of the goodies that butterflies and other insects both tolerate and enjoy :)
Note Cinnabar larvae behind the nectaring Small Heath
Note Cinnabar larvae behind the nectaring Small Heath
Walking through the near lake-side buttercups I disturbed the pretty micro moth Pyrausta purpuralis this little critter can be found in lots of different types of habitat and is a proper 'show-stopper' when its uniform is fresh and tidy :wink:
What a colour scheme...moffy flower power!!!
What a colour scheme...moffy flower power!!!
My visit ended on the lakes shoreline near to good stands of Reed Mace, a Small Skipper with curious flight took my eye and landed on the reeds, this gave me a decent background to outline the wings, one appeared to fold in on itself, probably hindering the little insect and creating the unusual flight.
Note the right side wing...
Note the right side wing...
Another most enjoyable visit to Llangors and undoubted proof that you don't always need the rare and threatened butterflies to make a good day...mind you such butterflies can help :wink:

Return to “Personal Diaries”