Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Just popped out into the garden and saw this wonderful advert for recycling !.
Attachments
P1150305.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Very good - I do like a butterfly adorning a sign!
Congratulations on the Large Tortoiseshell too!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a cracking image Trevor - and an excellent advertisement for recycling :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hope your taking out copyright on that poster Trev...and paying that lovely posing Red Admiral royalties too :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150530.JPG
SATURDAY 25TH JULY Part 1.

This morning i thought i might like to repeat Wednesdays success with the Holly Blues.
So i paid a visit to the old railway cutting in Hailsham arriving at about 9.30, it was not long before my
first Holly Blue appeared, flying low along the path searching for and finding a Bird dropping. Once engrossed
i was able to get some very close up shots. this specimen then flew onto the vegetation and later opened it's
wings. About twenty more were seen throughout the morning, and the images here are of three different males.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150535.JPG
P1150539.JPG
P1150529.JPG
P1150531.JPG
P1150534.JPG
P1150538.JPG
P1150537.JPG
P1150533.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150550.JPG
SATURDAY 25th JULY Part two.

After my visit to the old railway i drove on to a site near Birling Gap. Here nearly every chalk grassland
species can be found. But a stiff breeze hampered photography somewhat, i did however find many more
species than i had bargained for. My first Chalkhill Blues of the year were to be found in large numbers,
together with dwindling numbers of Dark Green Fritillaries and Marbled Whites. A population explosion of
Small Skippers was evident with virtually every flower head containing at least one. But the Silver Spotted
Skipper was absent, i was hoping to see some. Burnett Moths were also in large numbers and in varying
condition, as were the many Meadow Browns and Gate Keepers.
Before i left i could not resist some shots of the posing Commas.
Attachments
P1150549.JPG
P1150551.JPG
P1150546.JPG
P1150540.JPG
P1150547.JPG
P1150543.JPG
P1150544.JPG
P1150541.JPG
P1150532.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see the Holly Blue technique working Trevor, I'll have to give that a go :D Great to see the Chalkhills :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Whilst having my morning coffee in the garden, this male Holly Blue landed on a Geranium at 9.40.
I just had time to grab the camera. This was the first time i have witnessed this species landing in
my garden, however there have been many flypasts over the years.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150556.JPG
P1150555.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Trevor, loads of great Holly Blue photos recently in your PD, they never seem to stop in our garden.
Fabulous White-letter Hairstreak photos earlier in your diary and a Large Tortoiseshell too :D

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

With the car booked in for a service today i had no option but to stay local, so i walked to the old
railway cutting. Because of the wind and cloud there was not much flying, so i was lucky to find
some nicely marked Green Veined Whites plus some Speckled Woods and Holly Blues.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150598.JPG
P1150597.JPG
P1150594.JPG
P1150595.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150718.JPG
Decisions, decisions !. As the morning dawned with a clear blue sky, where do i go today ?.
In the end i thought a trip to the South Downs was in order. The location i chose was at the extreme
eastern end of the Downs overlooking Eastbourne. This site is somewhat unique in that there is a very
large clump of Buddleia ( with it's obvious attractions at this time of year), with a rough path running
through it. Once past the Buddleia the area opens up into chalk grassland and here i found a Butterfly
that i have not seen very often in any quantity, and have never obtained a decent image of.
The Brown Argus, and what's more there were plenty of them and most were very fresh.and camera
friendly!.This most unexpected find was exceptionally exciting and made my day!
Also seen were many Hedge Browns, several Chalkhill Blues, Skippers, and a lovely Painted Lady.
At the top of this post i have included an image of the view looking east from the site with part of
Eastbourne in the foreground, Hastings on the far left horizon and to the right on the far horizon
Dungeness power station, which is a good 45 miles distant!.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150709.JPG
P1150706.JPG
P1150711.JPG
P1150707.JPG
P1150715.JPG
P1150708.JPG
P1150713.JPG
P1150714.JPG
P1150717.JPG
P1150712.JPG
P1150704.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

PS. To the above post.

I've examined the images of the Brown Argus more closely and this specimen might qualify
as an AB. The spots on the forewing are showing some white ( it can't be an NBA. ) and the
hind wings have a white streak. Comments welcome.
Attachments
P1150711.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

On the way to work this morning i called in at Eartham Woods as usual and even with a temperature of
only 14c there were plenty of Butterflies active or sunning themselves. One unusual sight was a badly
deformed Red Admiral that otherwise looked quite fresh. I was also lucky enough to obtain a 3 up image
of a female Silver Washed Fritillary, Peacock and Red Admiral. Appologies to Dave ( millerd) :lol: .
Attachments
P1150873.JPG
P1150872.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1150862.JPG
P1150867.JPG
After work i travelled on to Botany Bay, arriving about 4.30, mainly to see some Wood Whites.
On the walk from the car to my destination within the wood there was an astonishing amount
of Butterfly activity, including many, mostly worn, Silver Washed Fritillaries, and some lovely
Peacocks, Male Holly Blues, White Admirals. Also seen was a mating pair of Hedge Browns and
another pair showing great interest in each other.
After a little searching i found about ten Wood Whites and as the time was now about 5.15 they
were getting ready to roost.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1150869.JPG
P1150863.JPG
P1150868.JPG
P1150866.JPG
P1150864.JPG
P1150865.JPG
P1150871.JPG
P1150870.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Trevor. Second brood Wood Whites are something of a rarity in these fair isles. You should be grateful that you have them within decent travelling distance!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is certainly an interesting Brown Argus - as well as the Red Admiral :D Great Wood Whites too, I was there the day before and they were great then too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

P1160049.JPG
Doug and i had pre-arranged a visit to Botany Bay to see some Wood Whites. For me it was the second
consecutive day at this site, and what a day it was !. We entered the wood from the Tugley wood entrance
and found several Wood Whites on the walk to the triangle. Once at that location we found many fluttering
Wood Whites wherever we looked.
One specimen began to open it's wings as i was aiming the camera, the text books say that's something
they never do !. This is impossible i thought but the Butterfly opened up even more. I took my camera into
the shade to examine these seemingly impossible images and on enlarging one particular shot i noticed
a Crab Spider had the Butterfly by the head area. So i returned to the unfortunate Wood White and
despatched the spider, but i think it was too late. :( .
We also observed several perching pairs among all the activity going on around us.
One Butterfly that attracted my attention was a Brimstone with an orange tint as it flew, i chased
it for a short while until it landed keen to have a closer look. It transpired that the top of the forewing
was slightly deformed and the upperside in that area was indeed orange, but this does not show on my
image unfortunately .In all we had a cracking day!!.
TREVOR.
Attachments
The ' orange ' Brimstone.
The ' orange ' Brimstone.
Note the Crab Spider.
Note the Crab Spider.
P1160052.JPG
P1160055.JPG
P1160054.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Great open wing shots there, Trevor. Looks like you had a fantastic day.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

What a great run you're having,Trev! Large Tort,WLH and those lovely Wood Whites. And your Holly Blues are not bad,either! They seem to be having a good summer generation this year.
Great stuff.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A selection of normal Brimstones from Botany Bay, all very fresh with numbers building throughout
the day.

TREVOR.
Attachments
Where's the Brimstone ?
Where's the Brimstone ?
There it is !
There it is !
P1160059.JPG
P1160060.JPG
P1160057.JPG
P1160058.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”