jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

I seem to be way behind with my diary, here is a few bits from June:

Sunday/Wednesday 21/24.6.2015 Knowle Village/Aytesbury Copse

I thought I would have a look for an early White Admiral before going to search for Hairstreaks. No White yet but Red Admirals, Speckled Wood, my first Marbled White and Meadow Brown of the year.
Female Speckled Wood Aytesbury Copse 21.6.2015
Female Speckled Wood Aytesbury Copse 21.6.2015
Large Skipper Aytesbury Copse 21.6.2015
Large Skipper Aytesbury Copse 21.6.2015
Red Admiral Aytesbury Copse 24.6.2015
Red Admiral Aytesbury Copse 24.6.2015
I still can not believe that I spent so much time at this site last year and did not see a single Common Blue. I have now seen several here this year and there is acres of vetch to keep them here. I have also seen my first Small Heath at this site. I have hardly seen any Large Whites anywhere this year, just one today as well as a single Green Veined White. The stars by far were the Small Tortoiseshell, lots of them mostly very fresh and very active in the warm sunshine. Plenty of egg laying going on as well.
Lots of fresh Small Tortoiseshell here today 21.6.2015
Lots of fresh Small Tortoiseshell here today 21.6.2015
Looking for somewhere to lay her eggs. This Small Tortoiseshell appears to be tasting the Nettle leaves with her tongue
Looking for somewhere to lay her eggs. This Small Tortoiseshell appears to be tasting the Nettle leaves with her tongue
Egg laying female Small Tortoiseshell Aytesbury Copse 24.6.2015
Egg laying female Small Tortoiseshell Aytesbury Copse 24.6.2015
Thursday 25.6.2015 New Forest

I happened to be working in the New Forest all day so I stopped off for ten minutes near Telegraph HIll. It was already hot at 9am and the Silver Studded Blues were already active by the side of the road. Lots of males and a few females seen in the short time I was there as well as a couple of Small Heath.
Silver Studded Blue New Forest 25.6.2015
Silver Studded Blue New Forest 25.6.2015
The thing that caught my eye though was an unbelievably huge fly at rest on a Heather twig. It looked quite a mean character and, at a guess, I would say an inch and a half long. Apparently this is the Dark Giant Horsefly Tabanus sudeticus it is the heaviest fly in Europe and can apparently draw blood when it bites :shock: Luckily this one stayed at rest.
Nothing for scale here but this fly was huge. Tabanus sudeticus Dark Giant Horsefly
Nothing for scale here but this fly was huge. Tabanus sudeticus Dark Giant Horsefly
Saturday 27.6.2015 Monks Brook/Stoneham Meadows

This is a new area for me this season. There are a lot of Elm Trees here so I thought I would check some out for White Letter Hairsteaks. Unfortunately I did not find any, but there are more Elms here to check. Plenty of Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Large and Small Skipper around. I also found my first Gatekeeper of the year but failed to get a photo. A single Comma and Red Admiral also made an appearance.
Meadow Brown Stoneham Meadows 27.6.2015
Meadow Brown Stoneham Meadows 27.6.2015
Marbled White Stoneham Meadows 27.6.2015
Marbled White Stoneham Meadows 27.6.2015

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Paul, especially the Small Tort tasting the leaf, I wonder if she favoured that particular vintage? :lol: As for the Horse-fly what a beast :shock: :shock: !

Have a gooudun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots of the egg-laying Paul - that's the fly I posted recently too so pleased to know what it was :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel & Pauline

Thanks for the comments :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday & Sunday 4 & 5.7.2015 Stephens Castle Down

I had decided that a really early morning visit was required to try and catch the butterflies roosting/waking up. On Saturday I confidently (naively) arrived at 7am but it was already too late, the sun was warm and most species were already active. Sunday was a more cool and cloudy affair and at 7.30 there was still no activity, perfect :D I spent a few minutes locating some of the easier species.
Small Heath 5.7.2015
Small Heath 5.7.2015
Marbled White 5.7.2015
Marbled White 5.7.2015
Female Meadow Brown 5.7.2015
Female Meadow Brown 5.7.2015
Male Meadow Brown 5.7.2015
Male Meadow Brown 5.7.2015
Small Skipper 5.7.2015
Small Skipper 5.7.2015
The first one was a Small Heath, dew covered and in deep slumber. Then Marbled Whites, Meadow Brown and Small Skipper, once you have found one and got your eye in all of a sudden you are surrounded by them. There was also a single Common Blue, rather aged and probably the last of the first brood I would imagine. I did not manage to find any roosting Ringlets, but when the sun finally came out they suddenly appeared around every bush.
Marbled White 5.7.2015
Marbled White 5.7.2015
P1060236.JPG
Marbled Whites 5.7.2015
Marbled Whites 5.7.2015
Mating Ringlets one of several pairs seen
Mating Ringlets one of several pairs seen
Then I thought I would try for Dark Green Fritillary I have never found a roosting one but guessed they would be in the long grass somewhere. I spent an age looking without success and then suddenly a female feebly flew past and settled in the grass a little way off. when I caught up I managed a nice open wing pose before it disappeared again, she was a stunner :D :D The males then appeared, no warming up period for them apparently, they were just immediately full on. Zooming around, occasionally stopping to nectar in their fidgety energy filled way before they were off again.
Large Skipper, Small White, Small Tortoiseshell were also seen once the morning had warmed up. Great to be out and about so early, trouble is it took me a few days to recover.
Female Dark Green Fritillary 5.7.2015
Female Dark Green Fritillary 5.7.2015
Female Large Skipper 4.7.2015
Female Large Skipper 4.7.2015
Female Small White 4.7.2015
Female Small White 4.7.2015
Female Small Tortoiseshell 5.7.2015
Female Small Tortoiseshell 5.7.2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely dusky DGF Paul :D How did you manage to find such an accomodating mating pair of Ringlets, all the ones I've seen are always tucked away deep in the grass? :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

That female DGF is a real eye-catcher Paul, lovely bold markings, very nicely captured pic :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel & Willrow

Thanks for the comments :D I was lucky with this pair of Ringlets. Like you say Wurzel they are all normally well down in amongst the grass.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Paul, I really like your shot of the Small Heath, I think they're very difficult to to Photograph Goldie :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Goldie
Thanks for your comments. This photo was taken early in the morning before that Small Heath had woken up. They are quite easy to locate when roosting and you have all the time in the world to get your shot :D

Saturday 11.7.2015 Botley Wood - Part 1 'Emperor Watching By A Novice'

It dawned on me last Saturday that I had not seen any of the classic summer woodland butterflies this year, something I needed to put right immediately. So I headed off for my local site, Botley Wood. To be honest I have avoided this site for the last couple of years, great though it is, because it has been by far the worst site for Ticks I have experienced. I was hoping primarily for Silver Washed Fritillary and White Admiral. I saw my first ever Purple Emperors last year at Straits Enclosure, they are seen a lot less frequently at Botley Wood, but there was always a chance :wink:
P1060308.JPG
This Marbled White was conveniently roosting on a head high Thistle in deep shade. A couple of metres away they were already flying in the sunshine 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
This Marbled White was conveniently roosting on a head high Thistle in deep shade. A couple of metres away they were already flying in the sunshine 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
I started early and arrived at 7am and headed straight to a known good spot for the expected species, I appeared to have the wood to myself. After 10 minutes my first butterfly appeared a Red Admiral basking In the sunshine which, spooked by my clumsy approach, immediately flew up into the Surrounding Oak trees and was not seen again. Shortly afterwards the first of several male Silver Washed Fritillaries (my first of the year) gently flew down from the trees to nectar on the brambles for a while before returning to the Oaks. I then walked on to a couple of other areas close by to see what was about. In the first open grassy area things were just coming to life. Marbled White, Small Skipper, Ringlet and Meadow Brown were becoming active in the early sunshine but large areas were still in shade with roosting butterflies. However this was not what I had come for and with limited time I returned to my original spot, I am glad I did.
Male Silver Washed Fritillary 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
Male Silver Washed Fritillary 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
As I stood watching, what was now several male Silver Washed Fritilaries nectaring, I looked up at the large Oak Tree just in time to see a much larger butterfly majestically gliding in out of the upper branches of this Oak Tree. I could not really believe it but I knew instantly this was a Purple Emperor :D :D Then shortly after there were two Emperors flying. This was 8.30am and not the time that I normally see reported for Purple Emperors. There was also no aerial combat here, in fact as far as I could tell there was little or no interaction between them just gentle gliding in and out of the upper branches, settling for periods (mostly in positions I could not see from the ground). They were occasionally in the air together sometimes in close proximity momentarily playing follow the leader, perhaps just the butterfly equivalent of a 'good morning'. A Silver Washed Fritillary briefly flew into their airspace and again there appeared to be no reaction from the Emperors. Eventually one of these Emperors settled in a position where I could see it quite clearly, albeit high up in the tree, and I was able to reel off some long range shots.
This Purple Emperor eventually settled in a position that was clearly visible allowing me a few shots. I am surprised my camera can pick up as much detail at such a distance, even its tongue is clearly visible. 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
This Purple Emperor eventually settled in a position that was clearly visible allowing me a few shots. I am surprised my camera can pick up as much detail at such a distance, even its tongue is clearly visible. 11.7.2015 Botley Wood
P1060356.JPG
P1060341.JPG
P1060377.JPG
P1060358.JPG
By just after 9am the sun had disappeared completely and there was now complete cloud cover, my battery expired and it was time for me to leave, but I think I was now hooked. I rushed home to check my photos to double check what I had seen.

Saturday 18.7.2015 Botley Wood - Part 2 'Emperor Watching by not quite such a novice'

I was so enthralled over my Emperor sighting from the previous weekend that I just had to head for Botley Wood again. I headed straight for the same spot. I arrived a bit later at 7.25, it was sunnier but perhaps not quite so warm as the previous weekend. There was already just a Ringlet dancing around the Large Bramble clump, but as I glanced up at the Oak Tree to my disbelief there were already two Purple Emperors doing exactly the same act in the same spot as last week (is that possible?). So by 7.30am my tally for the day was one Ringlet and two Purple Emperors 8) that does not happen very often. After 7.30 they stayed out of sight until just before 8am when they took to the air, one circled away from the tree toward me and then back and the other disappeared into an adjoining tree. After a period of Emperor inactivity I decided to go and have a look at the Whiteley Pastures site next door, after an hour there was not much occurring there so I returned to my original spot. By now there appeared to be just the one Emperor which made short gliding flights close to the tree settling in various positions where I could just about see its position but not really in a position where I could get a picture. Just after 9.30 this particular butterfly all of a sudden made a much more purposeful direct flight away from this tree and disappeared over the tops of the trees, that was the last I saw.
This was the best of my Purple Emperor photos from 18.7.2015. It is highly cropped and I only post it because to me it confirms this one as a male (as it seems to have a hint of purple)
This was the best of my Purple Emperor photos from 18.7.2015. It is highly cropped and I only post it because to me it confirms this one as a male (as it seems to have a hint of purple)
Female Silver Washed Fritillary 18.7.2015 Botley Wood
Female Silver Washed Fritillary 18.7.2015 Botley Wood
I wondered if I had found a tree where this species return to roost each evening. Could this in fact be the 2 same butterflies as last week? I decided to return later that same evening to see if there was any additional activity at this particular tree. Sadly by 4.30 pm it had clouded over and become much cooler with a threat of rain. I did return but the conditions were not right and I saw no more Emperor activity. There did however seem to be some Purple Hairstreak activity in the tree which was not apparent earlier in the day. I know some people devote their lives to the Purple Emperor, maybe somebody more experienced than me could explain what was going on here :?

All in all an excellent return to Botley Wood for me. I also saw my first female Silver Washed Fritillaries, White Admirals and summer Peacock of the year at this visit. I can not wait till next week to see if there is still any Emperor activity in that tree. I am well and truly hooked :D :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fantastic report Paul. It can be frustrating to get only such a small glimpse into the lives of these creatures but it is the mysteries and intrigue which makes this so compelling for me.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Paul
From the photos it looks like you have found a sap run on an oak - these are particularly attractive to both males and females but they are often difficult to spot as the butterflies don't move much - but once found they can be very reliable - well done :D
Kind Regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline & Mark
Thanks for your comments :D Thanks for the insight Mark, I think I have a lot to learn about this species.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Paul,
Congrats. on your Purple Emperor adventures. You mention the early hour of your first sighting, last year
i had one down at 8.35am and this year ( see my 9th July report ) i found one on the path at 8.05am, but
that one gave me the impression it had been there all night. There are always exceptions to the classic
text book timings !.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Your return to Botley Woods was well rewarded Paul, great report and those pics relay a very authentic feel of actually being there - great stuff :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Trevor & Willrow for your comments :D

Thursday 16.7.2015 Southwick Park

This site is situated just to the north of Portsdown HIll and is convenient for popping in after work if I take the scenic route. This is the second year I have looked at this site, primarily for White Letter Hairstreak. There is a fair amount of Elm here but I have yet to find any Hairstreaks and this visit too was unsuccessful :( Thankfully there were some other highlights.

I have not seen many Comma this year, until today that is. In a small Oasis of late afternoon sunshine there were probably more Commas than I have ever seen in one spot. 6 or 7 of them nectaring, basking and jostling for best position in this small sunlit area.
P1060411.JPG
P1060421.JPG
P1060415.JPG
As I left the road behind and went through the gate there were several smart new Green Veined Whites flying. I have never noticed this species looking so yellow before, in fact momentarily I thought I had stumbled across something much more exotic. These Green Veined Whites must have only emerged that day. Frustratingly I could not get a decent photo of this species. More Commas her as well :D
I struggled to get a decent Green Veined White photo
I struggled to get a decent Green Veined White photo
P1060433.JPG
P1060425.JPG
P1060417.JPG
A little further along the path I noticed a larva which at first I thought was a Small Tortoiseshell. I found several more and soon realised they were Painted Lady larvae. This is the first time I have seen the larval stage of this species. I easily found about 8 of these, but I am sure if I had really got down to it there would have been many many more. About half of these larvae were on Burdock and the rest on Thistle. Interestingly, although there is loads of Thistle in this location, all of the larvae I found were on young plants surrounded by bare ground and that had yet to flower. The Burdock feeders seemed to have two very specific methods of construction for their nest. Several of the Burdock larvae were noted to be feeding within a Burdock leaf where the edges were slightly drawn up with a roof in the form a silken sheet loosely woven. The larva clearly visible feeding on the upper leaf surface but under the silken sheet, eating the flesh between the veins of the leaf. Alternatively ther was the completely enclosed cocoon type nest. The Thistle dwelling larvae seemed to be a much more randome construction. I have retained a couple of these larvae to rear through (more on those later).
Some of the many Painted Lady larvae here today. These are feeding on Burdock
Some of the many Painted Lady larvae here today. These are feeding on Burdock
P1060429.JPG
P1060432.JPG
P1060386.JPG
Also seen were Large White, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Small Skipper.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great find Paul. Can't wait to hear more about them. Will reply to your pm v. soon.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely range of Commas Paul :mrgreen: Looking forward to hearing more about those cats :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline & Wurzel Thanks for your comments :D Hopefully more on the Painted Lady larvae in my next post

Saturday 25.7.2015 Botley Wood - Purple Emperors - Part 3

I am sure I can be forgiven for becoming a little obsessed with my local Emperors. For the third Saturday in a row I just had to take another look, hoping my luck would hold. I started a bit later this week. I would like to say that was because I was in tune with this butterflys habits, but in reality I slept through my alarm :oops: :lol: After continuous rain the previous day and much cooler temperatures I did not think my late start would be too much of a hinderance.

As I approached the same the tree there were no butterflies at all, but I did not have to wait long. At 9.15 I was pleased to catch sight of a Purple Emperor :D I had my binoculars with me for the first time and confirmed this one as a Female, behaving much the same as in my previous visits. Basking/feeding for periods and then a gentle glide in and out of the upper branches of this tree. The last Purple Emperor photo I posted was of an Emperor perched on a branch. This female and also a Red Admiral visited the same branch today so this could indeed be the location of a sap run as Mark Tutton suggested. In fact the Red Admiral accompanied this Empress for most of the time I was there, proving something of a distraction at times though it seemed more content to bask than fly. It soon became apparent that there seemed to be just one Purple Emperor here today.
Although I had plenty of good photo opportunity after my camera batteries failed this was the best I could manage beforehand
Although I had plenty of good photo opportunity after my camera batteries failed this was the best I could manage beforehand
I stayed in this one location today, my eyes peeled, without being tempted to other areas. I am glad I did because this week I was treated to the best display so far :D It did not come to the ground, but after an hour or so this particular butterfly started to settle at lower, more open positions. I unfortunately I forgot to charge my camera batteries beforehand, of course they lost power just before I was provided with by far the best photo opportunity :cry: Whilst I was gazing upward keeping tabs on this settled female I was approached by a couple who asked what I was looking at. When I told them they said that was what they had come for, they were quite pleased when eventually it took to the air and they were able to get a glimpse. They had apparently been to Bentley Wood recently and not seen one. I think they left quite satisfied.

Once I was back on my own I quickly realised that there were now two Emperors settled before me :D :D Though I did not notice this second individual arrive or see from where it appeared. This one was noticeably smaller and somewhat ragged so I think it was probably a male. This one also seemed more content to bask for a long time open winged in the same position. I spent nearly 2 hours watching today, but eventually I had to leave. At 10.50 I left both Emperors at the tree both showing no signs of imminent departure.
Early evening at Botley Wood. Oaks on the left and Sallow on the right
Early evening at Botley Wood. Oaks on the left and Sallow on the right
By far the most numerous butterfly in the late afternoon were female Silver Washed Fritillaries like this one still in quite reasonable condition
By far the most numerous butterfly in the late afternoon were female Silver Washed Fritillaries like this one still in quite reasonable condition
White Admiral enjoying the last of the afternoon sunshine in Botley Wood 25.7.2015
White Admiral enjoying the last of the afternoon sunshine in Botley Wood 25.7.2015
I could not resist the opportunity of returning later in the afternoon to see if there was any more Emperor activity. At 4.15 this part of Botley Wood feels entirely different, relaxed and gentle. The exposed side of 'the Emperor tree' was now in complete shade, this tree is right on the edge of denser woodland so the now sunny side is not accessible. I stayed till 6.30pm but saw no Emperor activity at all. The butterfly activity that was occurring was all very low key relaxed and gentle in the pools of late sunshine and half light. Most numerous were female Silver Washed Fritillaries some still looking quite fresh, I saw only one male. There were a couple of fresh Peacocks, a few Gatekeepers, Speckled Wood, a couple of worn White Admirals and a single Comma, Ringlet and Purple Hairstreak. There were quite a few Dragonflies and what I initially thought were spiders crawling across the path in front of me. It was not until I bent down to take a closer look that I realised they were tiny Toads no bigger than a penny, believe it or not that is the first time I have seen a Toad.
female Speckled Wood Botley Wood 25.7.2015
female Speckled Wood Botley Wood 25.7.2015
female Gatekeeper 25.7.2015
female Gatekeeper 25.7.2015
One of several tiny Toads seen crossing the track in front of me
One of several tiny Toads seen crossing the track in front of me
If weather is reasonable I will definitely revisit next weekend though my luck will surely have to come to an end soon.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great White Admiral and Silver-washed Paul :D Looking forward to seeing how far you can push your luck :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”