Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Tutton

Re: Susie

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Susie
I looked at that log pile numerous times whilst eating my lunch in the car park and knew there was a pattern but just couldn't pick it out - as soon as i looked at your picture - boom - it was there - thanks for putting me out of my misery :D
kind regards
Mark

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Susie

Post by Susie »

You're welcome, it must be the lighting.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking hat Susie, very Steam Punk, Robert Rankin would be proud :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

It could do with some cogs :lol:

Susie

Post by Susie »

WOW. :shock: just one word, wow!!!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Now I've got over the shock of a perfectly purple day the like of which I have never experienced before and may never again (although I hope to and will be back next year!) I can write a little more.

Yesterday I again went on the Knepp Pruple Emperor safari thanks to the generosity of someone at Knepp to whom I will be forever indebted as it was as golden as it was purple.

The morning was glorious and the group eager to get going, after a brief briefing and collection of the first aid kit (as the Emperors here are particularly vicious!) we set off. What a splendid start then when within 20 odd yards of leaving the building we were buzzed by an emperor! From there the day kept getting better and better as although we didn't see any males on the ground we had a couple of audiences with females sat in sallow (one stunning female incredibly spotted by an eagle eyed member of the group) and we rarely went for more than 10 minutes without a sighting.

Again the knowledge of our guides were second to none and the banter between them extremely entertaining. Whenever we didn't see anything for a short while Matthew would reconsider the weather conditions and take us off to the nearest likely spot. The best places yesterday were sometimes different to the best places the previous Saturday which is why it was so great to have such experienced guided.

Midday we again broke for a lovely lunch in a wooded glade which was washed down with a tipple. Most appreciated in the midday heat. Even seated we were still spotting emperors, purple hairstreaks and other butterflies flying near us.
image.jpg
By the time we reached the end of the walk we'd clocked up a tally of 104 Purple Emperors. I believe even more were seen later that day.

I now consider myself part of an elite group of people who have seen in excess of 100 purple emperors in one day :lol: (even if only by merit of tagging along and letting others do all the work).

I think I'll have to product something to commemorate it!

Susie

Post by Susie »

image.jpg
Matthew Oates celebrating reaching 100 purple emperors on Saturday.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Sussex Butterfly Conservation ran an event today in my village and as I was unexpectedly available I was able to go along. David Bridges did a very good presentation for people who are new to butterflying and also spoke a little about a project he is running in the area which is rewilding a couple of fields and turning them into a butterfly haven. This project at Tillets Fields is really coming on with some great looking habitat, after the talk the attendees went to the fields to put their new found butterfly identification skills into practice.

I could not resist uploading a little snippet from last Saturday's walk. I still haven't got over the excitement! https://www.facebook.com/susie.milbank/ ... 182311972/

Susie

Post by Susie »

I popped along to Denbies Hillside on late Saturday afternoon. It was overcast and breezy with a hint of rain in the air and the butterflies had already gone to roost. I found a good number of male chalkhills but only two females so it must still be early days for them I didn't see any abs at all which was rather disappointing. Also around were some worn marbled whites, meadow Browns, small Heath and the odd small skipper.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Carcking shots of the Chalkhils and underside of the Marbled White Susie :D Congrats to on becoming a member of such an exclusive club; 100 PE's in a visit 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the underside of the Marble White Susie great shot, I hope they're still around in Kent next week Goldie :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Goldie and Wurzel. Marbled whites do seem to be a bit passed their best now but still about so you should be lucky.

I went to Southwater woods today and there were still a few marbled whites about there.

Susie

Post by Susie »

I popped along to Denbies yesterday, the chalkhills are starting to show their age but there were quite a few abs around. Conditions were not ideal for photographs but I managed a few snaps.
image.jpg
It was nice to meet our forum member Bugboy for the first time too.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Glad to say that finally the brown hairstreaks are starting to arrive with one in the garden yesterday and one seen while walking locally today.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Susie wrote:brown hairstreaks are starting to arrive with one in the garden.......
Well thats just showing off basically! :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Due to various difficulties that I won't bore you with I'm still having difficulties getting photos up loaded but I thought I'd update my diary anyway before I forget and hopefully a few photos will follow soon.

My couple of weeks off work during August was a wash out with my few butterflying forays scuppered by the dismal weather and my trips to steyning and other places returned nothing of interest except blackberries.

My local patch for brown hairstreak seemed to have dried up this year with very few sightings in the area.

On Saturday morning I again cancelled my plans to go to steyning due to the weather but by the afternoon the forecast was looking more favourable so I went to Denbies to walk the hound and to see if anything was hanging on there butterfly wise. Trusty camera slung in back pack off we trundled. I was quite dismayed to see cows in the lower field but they seemed placid. It was lovely to bump into Bugboy and I was grateful to be informed that there were indeed butterflies still about and some pretty new. It wasnt long before the hound and me were finding butterflies of our own with fresh Adonis, chalk hill and silver spotted skippers being about. Once the sun came out it was wonderful a the butterflies opened their wings and the grass became studded with the most wonderful blues. :D

Back at home there have been some beautiful fresh painted ladies in the garden lately as well as red admiral, small torts, and it's been a bumper year for holly blue.

Yesterday I finally got to Steyning in the morning and with the sun shining. Huzzah!!!! :D

Last time I was there I didn't see anything and I lost my brown hairstreak open winged pin badge. Gutted :( Perhaps it wanted to join it name sakes.

This was much better though. It wasn't long before I bumped into another enthusiast who told me a brown hairstreak had been seen about half an hour before. I was pleased to spot one in the trees nearly straight away, it didn't appear to be coming down to eye level any time soon so I decided to move along and found another hairstreak engaged in a tussle with a speckled wood. When the hairstreak settled we were able to watch her crawl among the blackthorn for quite some time. Further up the slope I saw two more, again one at close quarters and another in the trees.

On my way back I bumped into Neil and the one he had whispered as if by magick to show his guests earlier in the day was a different one to those I had seen. With there being a good number of brownies about this is a site definitely still worth visiting. At this time of year every butterflying day is a bonus taking us nearer to the start of next years season!

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:At this time of year every butterflying day is a bonus taking us nearer to the start of next years season!
How true!

In another month's time, we'll ALL be yearning for early March.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Susie wrote:On Saturday morning I again cancelled my plans to go to steyning due to the weather but by the afternoon the forecast was looking more favourable so I went to Denbies to walk the hound and to see if anything was hanging on there butterfly wise. Trusty camera slung in back pack off we trundled. I was quite dismayed to see cows in the lower field but they seemed placid. It was lovely to bump into Bugboy and I was grateful to be informed that there were indeed butterflies still about and some pretty new. It wasnt long before the hound and me were finding butterflies of our own with fresh Adonis, chalk hill and silver spotted skippers being about. Once the sun came out it was wonderful a the butterflies opened their wings and the grass became studded with the most wonderful blues. :D
Glad you got the sun, just wish it had appeared properly an hour sooner for my benefit! :roll:, oh and the cows are Belted Galloways :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Belted Galloways, that was what you said they were, wasn't it? :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Susie wrote:Belted Galloways, that was what you said they were, wasn't it? :D
No I said Saddlebacks, knowing full well at the time that was a type of pig :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”