Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

MrSp0ck wrote:
bugboy wrote:A quick updated tally of my season to date:

1 Brimstone
2 Small Tortoiseshell
3 Red Admiral
4 Peacock
5 Small White
6 Comma
7 Green-veined White
8 Speckled Wood
9 Orange-tip
10 Holly Blue
11 Large White
12 Green Hairstreak (lifer)
13 Grizzled Skipper (lifer)
14 Dingy Skipper (lifer)
15 Small Copper
16 Small Heath
17 Brown Argus
18 Painted Lady
19 Pearl-bordered Fritillary (lifer)
20 Duke of Burgundy (lifer)
21 Wall
22 Glanville Fritillary (lifer)
23 Common Blue
24 Small Blue (lifer)
25 Marsh Fritillary (lifer)
26 Adonis Blue
27 Large Skipper
28 Meadow Brown
29 Silver-studded Blue
30 Heath Fritillary (lifer)
31 Small skipper
32 Dark Green Fritillary
33 Ringlet
34 Marbled White
35 Essex Skipper
36 White Admiral (lifer)
37 Purple Emperor
38 Silver Washed Fritillary
39 Gatekeeper
40 White-letter Hairstreak (lifer)

+ 99% sure Purple Hairstreak

11 lifers in one season :D, that wont happen again in the UK! Think I'll have to spend a fortnight in Switzerland where I can get 50 species in a day :lol:
Not many more to come now,

Chalkhill Blue
Silver Spotted Skipper
Brown Hairstreak

and maybe Monarch, Long Tailed Blue, Small Pearl Bordered Frit, Wood White.
Ooooh you're right, 11 lifers! and as of today I can remove the question mark from the Purple Hairstreak :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A day of two half’s, 9th July (part 2, part 1 got left on page 18 for those who missed it and can’t live without reading it!)

So getting back from my morning strole on my local patch at around 12 I ran a few errands, bit of shopping etc, and then set off for the afternoons destination, another audience with the White-letter Hairstreak. I was hoping my first experience wasn’t a fluke and they would be willing to show themselves to me and my camera again :).

All was quiet on the Hairstreak front when I arrived around 3. Ringlets and Commas were active as were skippers and Meadow Browns. This was earlier than my previous encounter so I hoped i just had my timing a bit wrong, still better to be too early than too late!
IMG_1683.JPG
The plan today was to be a bit more choosy as to who to photograph. Last time everything that moved got snapped, this time I was after something with lovely long tails, a crisp fringe to the wings who sat and posed in full sun.

After a few minutes a couple showed themselves and I nearly got my full wish list in one go...... she liked the shade though!
IMG_1690.JPG
I swear this one is waving at me!
I swear this one is waving at me!
These two weren’t too accommodating and spent most the time high up so I killed the time playing with others, keeping a close eye on the hairstreaks all the while.
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
In the end I decided to go for a wander and come back a little later. Skippers, like last time, were in uncountable numbers. Unlike last time though (and like my local patch this morning) they were mainly Essex Skippers.
IMG_1729.JPG
Various Whites and more Commas were about and one beautifully fresh Peacock graced me with its presence but turned out to be camera shy. There were a few Gatekeepers out now too.
Large White
Large White
Small White
Small White
I did find a couple of Small Skippers and saw this one clutching at some Timothy Grass, a de-ja-vue moment from this morning!
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG
Back at the WLH bank I found they were being nice to me now, a few more had appeared and were feeding low down and in the sun, yay :D ! Not pristine perfect but she’s good enough for me.
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG
I couldn’t resist getting a few more pics of the Commas, they were doing such a good job at posing :)
IMG_1796.JPG
But I always returned to the Hairstreaks, gorgeous little creatures :D
IMG_1825.JPG
What a lovely few days I'm having off work :D :D :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I am so envious of your WLH, Buggy... I struggle to see them every year. :mrgreen:

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:I am so envious of your WLH, Buggy... I struggle to see them every year. :mrgreen:

Dave
:D If it wasn't for this site I would probably still be searching for them through binoculars!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Some fine memories stored for the future on your year list Buggy...and 11 'lifers'...nifty :P

Nice W-l H pics too :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Nice WLH Buggy and that Small Skipper looks like she is ovi-posting? If you ever decide to check for eggs be very careful as they lie loose inside the stem and roll about very easily (apologies if you already know all that stuff).

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:Nice WLH Buggy and that Small Skipper looks like she is ovi-posting? If you ever decide to check for eggs be very careful as they lie loose inside the stem and roll about very easily (apologies if you already know all that stuff).
She was indeed ovipositing Pauline. The position of the grass stems meant I couldn't get a better angle. I didn't try looking for the eggs, I was worried about damaging them being so freshly laid. Funny how I photographed almost exactly the same thing that morning as well (that photo is on the previous page on here). :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Bill, yes, lots of happy times to jog my age addled memory in future years :D

Taking a well earned day off from butterflying today (mainly because of the weather!) allowing me to catch up on reports a bit.

Bookham Common, 10th July

So my quest for the Great Purple One continues, he’s proved particularly illusive to me, with just two fleeting glances so far. This is my third proper attempt at seeing one this year.

I got there a little later than intended, after 9, but the weather seemed perfect, warm but not too hot and clear blue skies. The Silver washed Fritillaries were out in force already, both males and females feeding on sunlit brambles and unlike my previous visits, they were much more approachable today. There were also several Commas mixed in with them, doing their best Fritillary impressions, but I’m an expert and can’t be fooled by such shenanigans!
SWF female
SWF female
SWF male
SWF male
SWF male
SWF male
SWF male & female
SWF male & female
It was interesting that the males left the females alone for the most part. When interest was shown the males were quickly given the brush off and they went back to feeding. I actually spent a fair bit of time with these, forgetting I was supposed to be after something else :oops:

Whilst chasing these, a beautifully fresh Peacock joined the party, looking resplendant in the morning light :) .
IMG_1945.JPG
I’d been told the best place to see Emperors was the top car park, but I wasn’t too sure where this was though (note to self, research :roll: !), but I took to wandering along the open bridleways which are littered with nice tasty morsels of horse dung. White Admirals were commonplace, dithering low over the ground and flying up as I stealthily approached
IMG_1957.JPG
and so was the occasional Comma
"look at me, I'm a Purple Emperor now"
"look at me, I'm a Purple Emperor now"
No you’re not, go away Comma!

I got very excited at one point as a large dark butterfly with flashes of white flew powerfully around me, but hopes were dashed when I also noticed flashes of red. Nevertheless when she settled I couldn’t resist a few pictures. You can’t turn your nose up when a Red Admiral as fresh as this one lands at your feet!
IMG_1972.JPG
As I was getting a few pics I noticed a couple of guys walking carefully but purposefully towards me. The RA flew up and one of the guys pointed at it and looked at me, eye’s wide with hopefulness, “Nah, just a Red Admiral” I said, his face dropping immediately. A quick chat revealed they had seen nothing with a purple sheen either. As we chatted a lovely White Admiral flew around us and when they left it settled in front of me, at last I was able to get a few close-up shots
IMG_1977.JPG
I moved on to explore some secluded paths that were still new to me. I kept coming across glades inhabited by SWF and WA and every time I couldn’t resist taking pictures.
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2038.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
A few Odonata to add a bit of variety were also sunning themselves, a female Beautiful Demoiselle
IMG_2024.JPG
and I’m pretty sure this is a female Common Darter based on the yellow on the legs just about visible.
IMG_2032.JPG
I stumbled across a pair of Ringlets having some private time, so I took their picture!
IMG_2083.JPG
I’m pretty sure I did find the ‘Top car park’ but there was nothing showing and by now it was getting quite late, probably too late. It was looking like my quest for purple things was drawing a blank for a third time. Nevertheless I continued browsing the quieter rides since they were so full of butterflies willing to sit in front of me.
IMG_2098.JPG
Always keeping one eye on the canopy I noticed a few silvery glints. Binoculars confirmed I was watching Purple Hairstreak, shortly after which, whilst watching some SWF for the umpteenth time a little silvery thing fluttered down and landed on a leaf right in front of me. As happened with my first WA a week before, momentary panic set in, it was sat in partial shade with breeze blowing it in and out of the sun. I risked autofocus (for once it didn’t get lost trying to focus on a gnat’s eyelash) and I was able to quickly take a few snaps before it fluttered off back into the canopy, something Purple at least.....well grey!
IMG_2107.JPG
A few more SWF and I decided to make an early start home.
IMG_2115.JPG
I reckon I'd seen around 50 SWF by now!

Distracting my journey were a couple of female WA, obviously on the lookout for some nice Honeysuckle. This one settled low down in the undergrowth but I couldn’t get anything decent without the use of flash.
Tweeked in PP to within an inch of its life!
Tweeked in PP to within an inch of its life!
Unfortunately my ‘odd’ behaviour (crouching down by the side of the path peering into the undergrowth) had spooked a couple of horses and I figured using flash could end in a bit of a disaster. I stood up and allowed them to pass, both horses giving me the evil eye as they passed with their riders saying thank you whilst I watched as the horses tails swished the WA off into the undergrowth.

Definitely time to go and come back another time :)

David M

Post by David M »

In many ways, Bugboy, your report illustrates perfectly just how sought after Purple Emperors are.

Several other glorious species might be flying around, but when in 'Emperor Mode', they are regarded as mere support acts.

I'm sure you will get your well earned audience before much longer.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:In many ways, Bugboy, your report illustrates perfectly just how sought after Purple Emperors are.

Several other glorious species might be flying around, but when in 'Emperor Mode', they are regarded as mere support acts.

I'm sure you will get your well earned audience before much longer.
I'm enjoying the challange though David, it's adventures like this that makes this hobby so interesting. It would get boring if they just sat around waiting for you to turn up! :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

11th July (This will most likely be my last report for a few days (I can hear a collective sigh of relief), weathers gone a bit cr*p and then back to work)

Saturdays initial plan was to visit Box Hill and/or Denbies Hillside to see if the Chalkhills were about yet but with yesterdays Purple blank I decided to start the day off at Bookham Common yet again.

I silly early start saw me getting there at 8, and after doing my homework this time, I knew exactly where to go to find the ‘top’ car park. I did my best to not be distracted by the other inhabitants, although a White Admiral settling in front of me was too much!
IMG_2155.JPG
I find the car park easily enough. It was empty apart from two cars and looking around there’s no sign of any large butterflies souring around and showing off. I hung around for a bit, feeling somewhat self conscious staring up into the canopy but decided to go for a bit of a wander along some of the rides. SWF were in all the usual spots and with nectar sources dwindling as the bramble blossom begins to die down the choicest flower spikes were being sought out.
IMG_2168.JPG
The odd female occasionally drew some unwanted attention but was quickly sent packing
IMG_2170.JPG
Others were just lazing around, warming up in the morning sun.
IMG_2195.JPG
Nothing purple was seen though so I returned to the car park to find two slightly dodgy looking men looking up into the canopy....I joined them and together we chatted about the chances of a Purple audience.

We did get one shortly after, a Purple Hairstreak fluttered around and settled halfway up one of the Oaks. In the end there were 7 or 8 of us waiting for something to happen. A red Admiral provided momentary excitement and the Hairstreak decided to hang around to see what we were all waiting for. Occasionally someone would wander off and come back a little later, one guy even coming back with a handful of fresh horse dung (now that’s dedication!)

It didn’t take long for the fresh dung to send out its unique butterfly attracting properties, a fresh male second gen Holly blue fluttered by and landed on it.
IMG_2203.JPG
He was pretty much addicted to the stuff and couldn’t be scared off. He stayed feeding for probably about 30 minutes.

I went off for another wander around 11, bumping into a few other butterflyers, none of whom, like me, had had a sniff of an Emperor. On returning to the car park and finding out nothing had happened I decided to call it a day and head off to Box Hill. :(

Box Hill was rather busy and I quickly remembered why I generally come here on a weekday.
Butterfly wise there were still Dark Green Fritillaries flying but all somewhat worse for wear now, as were the Marbled Whites.
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG
A lot were now carrying the little red mites, so typical of high summer downland butterflies.
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
There was though no sign of Chalkhill Blues and bumping into a lady doing a transect it seemed they were yet to appear here, Denbies it was then.

An hour later I was looking at the seasons first Chalkhill blue, clinging onto a Knapweed flower for dear life in the blustery wind.
IMG_2273.JPG
He did try to open his wings for me but everytime he tried he got hit by another gust
IMG_2283.JPG
There were quite a few battling in the wind, feeding on the Wild Marjoram mostly and visibly avoiding the Pyramidal Orchids....well for the most part.
IMG_2315.JPG
I remember someone else posting a similar picture with an Orchid Pollinium attached to a butterflies tongue on here a few weeks ago and it was interesting to see it for myself, although I’m not sure this Chalkhill was finding it interesting
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2302.JPG
With the wind blasting across the hillside it’s actually a miracle anything came out vaguely in focus but at least I got to see one of the two target species for the day.
IMG_2325.JPG
Fluffy bum :)
Fluffy bum :)
As I was leaving I saw a painted Lady getting buffeted by the wind, just the one though...whatever happened to that invasion.....
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2349.JPG
Getting to the train station I found I had nearly an hour to wait for the train home :shock:. Nothing left to do but go for another little wander. Luckily there's enough open spaces around to keep me occupied and I ended up watching 3 Small Tortoiseshell playing in the early evening sun and flirting with each other by the River mole :)
Small Tortoiseshell, Westhumble #6.JPG
With the weather taking a turn for the worse and then back to work and a wedding to attend next weekend it looks like I’ll have to wait another year for a Purple emperor experience :? :roll: Oh well, something to look forward to I suppose :)
Last edited by bugboy on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Caught up with your posts at last Buggy and boy do I envy your WLH :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Chalkhills Bugboy :D I always few them with mixed emotions as theri appearence means only another couple of species left to emerge :? Sorry you didn't get your audience with Him (it might still be possible?) but think of it as "at least you've saved yourself one lifer for next year" :wink:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Keep HIM until next year Buggy, and go to Fermyn Woods at the peak emergence, give you something to look forward to :wink:...you can't be too greedy :P

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, yes there's always next year :) . Not sure if I can get to Fermyn Woods Bill, may have to earn a few brownie points to pull in another favour from a friend but I have always heard good things about that place where HIM is concerned!

Denbies & Bookham 15 July

(I may have lied a little bit about no reports for a little bit :oops: )

On Wednesday I decided to spend an afternoon at Denbies Hillside enjoying the Chalkhills. With a run of 11 days without a chance of butterflying I didn’t want to miss them at their best and the forecast seemed promising. I then had a brainwave and thought it would be a great idea to spend the morning at Bookham Commons as a desperate last gasp chance to catch a Grounded Emperor even though the morning forecast seemed pretty rubbish since it's closeby.

As it turned out the sun did come out for some nice extended periods in the morning, just not warm or long enough to wake up HIM, at least where I was. It did however wake up a few Purple Hairstreak, but they all stayed high up. Interspersed with the sun were a fair few dark clouds and light showers but the warm muggy air was enough to keep plenty of others active. Meadow Browns, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Silver Washed Fritillary and Holly Blues were all active in small numbers even in the light rain.
I caught this ringlet as it took shelter when the rain turned momentarily heavy, flash was the only option in his hidey hole.
IMG_2402.JPG
This Holly Blue was obsessed with drinking rain water from a dead leaf, presumably taking in dissolved nutrients
IMG_2393.JPG
And another one came down whilst waiting for HIM to appear who was about as pristine as you can get!
IMG_2414.JPG
By 12 it was obvious He wasn’t going to appear but although the sunny spells had stopped, the cloud had thinned and light levels were improving which was waking up a few more species. Large, Small and Essex Skippers were appearing as were a few Speckled Wood.
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG
and this beautiful Female SWF sat quietly soaking up as many photons as she could whilst my lense was shoved into her face!
IMG_2460.JPG
I came across an old tree stump which seemed to be a much sought after place to sit by several Dragonflies, Common Darters and Black-tailed Skimmers both using it as a natural radiator.
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
It proved a good opportunity to get some nice close up studies as they basked and tried to warm up. As I was going in for a particularly close shot
IMG_2488.JPG
I caught a glimpse of movement under my chin. Looking down I locked eyes with a little Common Lizard peering up at me, literally 2 inches from my face, flattened against the stump.
IMG_2505.JPG
Well since he was so brave it would be rude not to snap away at him and he sat there patiently, joined by some particularly large Flesh Flies, watching my every move as I took his picture from every angle, very cute.
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
Leaving him I now had to dodge the little toadlets which were trying to hop under my feet, I narrowly missed stepping on this little chap!
IMG_2515.JPG
With the light improving by the minute it was time to make a move to Denbies to catch the Chalkhills. I did my usual route, train to Box Hill and then a walk along the North Downs Way, stopping occasionally to enjoy the local wildlife on the way.
Nettle Leaved Bellflower (I think)
Nettle Leaved Bellflower (I think)
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG
I get to Denbies around 3.30 and the weather is pretty much perfect, the cloudy but bright light, light wind (for a change at Denbies), and muggy warmth making the blues the perfect photographic target. Marbled whites were flitting around, a few Small Heaths were active and there were a couple of Common Blues but the hillside was littered with little silvery jewels basking and most of them were very approachable. Chalkhills are probably my favourite Blue, quite an understated beauty, not the gaudy ‘in ya face’ of the Adonis, but enough of this, I will just let them speak for themselves :D!
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2537.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
I think thats enough to keep you all occupied until I can next get out with my camera, Grayling, Sliver-spotted Skipper and hopefully Brown Hairstreak still left :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice photos Buggy, have you got High Brown Frit's, Northern Brown Argus or Scotch Argus on your lists :?: If not you've got to see them, Goldie :D PS I've only got 30 species so far this year and only one lifer, so I'm envious :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Chalkhills Bugboy - I went looking but no joy this far west yet, another week or less hopefully :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

All of those are on my list Goldie but they will have to wait for another season, some B&B breaks in some beautiful corners of the British countryside me thinks :D

Thanks Wurzel, looking forward to seeing your Chalkhills, around Halloween perhaps? :lol: :P

Sunday 19th

So I managed to squeeze in an hours strole on my local patch in the afternoon. Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers were the dominant species. Singles of Holly Blue, Common Blue and SmEssex Skipper was also seen as well as a few undentified whites. An unfortunate combination of blustery conditions and a hangover (probably the major contributing factor) from the previous evenings wedding party celebrations meant photographs were a bit thin on the ground... :oops:
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
Still, a bit of fresh air (if you can call it fresh in London) helped a tad with the tender head and tummy!

David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:All of those are on my list Goldie but they will have to wait for another season
You've plenty of time for Scotch Argus, Bugboy. It's the only species yet to be recorded in the UK according to the BC First Sightings page.

What's more, they're easily observable at Arnside Knott or Smardale Gill, with many hundreds on the wing.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:
bugboy wrote:All of those are on my list Goldie but they will have to wait for another season
You've plenty of time for Scotch Argus, Bugboy. It's the only species yet to be recorded in the UK according to the BC First Sightings page.

What's more, they're easily observable at Arnside Knott or Smardale Gill, with many hundreds on the wing.
I already have Arnside filed in my mind for future visits but it will need a bit more advance planning on my part! Next year maybe :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”