Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

I reckon you could be right - I couldn't tell if it was that cracker or the Small Heath with slightly unusual spotting and dew on the wing edges plus I checked and double checked for a Hedge Brown :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

One of three male Grayling seen on 6th July, it's amazing how the year is speeding by!

P1200299.Resize.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely! :mrgreen: That's what I'm hoping to see today :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great Pauline, hope you see some soon.

Silver-studded Blues are now beginning to fade away very fast. We photographed these fairly recently at our local SSB heathland site, while they were still looking fresh. They're stunning little butterflies and are one of our all time favourites, the female has particularly lovely blue studs on her underwings!

P1200087.Reize.JPG
P1200114.Resize.JPG
P1200153.Resize.JPG
P1200719.jpgA.Resize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots with some stunning colours on the female SSB Mike, not so much of a little boring brown job when the light refracts like that :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I agree, great photos and the colours are really intriguing on the open wing shot :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Some super portraits of a beautiful blue Mike :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great set of SSB's there Mike, you've almost got a full house! All you need is a mating pair, having said that you've probably got a photo of that tucked away in your archives already. :D

ATB

James

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, I agree SSB's are definitely not boring, particuarly when the females upper wings catch the light just right :)

Thanks Katrina, I'm glad you like the female SSB open wing shots :)

Thank you Bill, the SSB is a very beautiful blue :)

Thanks James, the mating pair is tucked away in last years archives :D

I've not posted for a while due to other commitments, so I have some catching-up to do :roll:

A recent trip to Denbies hillside looking for Chalk hill Blues produced the goods. Numbers seen were low when compared to previous years, but it was just great to see them again. Most were male but we did spot two females, perhaps more are yet to emerge?

P1210074.Resize.JPG
P1210059.Resize.JPG
P1210051.Resize.JPG
Chalkhill female
Chalkhill female
P1210094.Resize.JPG
P1200535.Resize.JPG
P1210104.Resize.JPG
P1210059.Resize.JPG

Other species seen...

P1210065.Resize.JPG
Common Blue
Common Blue
P1200951.JPGResize.JPG
Small Copper
Small Copper
Dark-green Fritillary
Dark-green Fritillary
Gatekeeper with no apparent hindwing spots
Gatekeeper with no apparent hindwing spots

Denbies
Denbies

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Cracking shots Mike, but i like the Small Copper shots the best I think all though it's hard to choose they're all so good Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Goldie for your kind comments :) I like the Small Copper shots too, because it's only the second SC I've seen this year :roll: :wink:

Several recent walks around our local area, have given us some great butterfly sightings and all just five minutes from home.

Female Ringlet
Female Ringlet
Male Comma
Male Comma
Male Gatekeeper
Male Gatekeeper
Female Large Skipper
Female Large Skipper
P1200208.Resize.JPG
Stunning Female Red Admiral - several seen
Stunning Female Red Admiral - several seen
Three male SSB where we least expected them
Three male SSB where we least expected them
Ovipositing Small Skipper
Ovipositing Small Skipper

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Fantastic closed wing Red Admiral. I have not noticed all the different colours before!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots as always Mike, especially the closed wing Red Admiral :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Too many well taken images to decide on a particular favourite Mike, lets just say I like em' all, but especially those Chalkies...there I go!...I've gone and picked a favourite now :roll: :lol:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Katrina, I'd also not noticed the beautiful array of colours on the Red Admirals underside before.

Thanks Wurzel, the Red Admiral is a stunning butterfly, wings open or closed :D

Thanks Bill glad you like the Chalkhill Blues :D

Our local area continues to surprise us with some great butterfly sightings.

Mating Small Whites
Mating Small Whites
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Brimstone
Brimstone

Our garden count is also going well, with visits from some species for the first time.

Essex Skipper - first sighting in our garden
Essex Skipper - first sighting in our garden
Gatekeepers have been common in our garden this year
Gatekeepers have been common in our garden this year
Large White on Bindweed flower
Large White on Bindweed flower
Small White
Small White
P1200626.Resize.JPG
P1210278.Resize.JPG
Beautiful pristine Peacock
Beautiful pristine Peacock

David M

Post by David M »

Essex Skipper in the garden!!!! :shock:

That's a great spot, Maximus. You lucky boy!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I second that Mike, I did have a Small back when I had a garden but never an Essex :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes David, the Essex in the garden was a lucky lucky sighting indeed :wink:

Thanks Wurzel I'm sure you didn't have too small a back when you had a garden :lol: Glad you had a Small Skipper though :wink: :D

In praise of the Painted Lady

A toss of the coin set us on a course to Magdalen Hill Down. There are many other sites in Hampshire which can provide rich pickings at this time of the year, but MHD it was. Walking up to the site it was obvious that, as usual, the wind was stronger than forecast. Reaching the top of the site the first butterfly we spotted was a beautiful Painted Lady, which we'd come here hoping to find. We soon found several more looking much fresher than ones we'd seen earlier this year. Getting a photo was not that easy, the bright sun and strong breeze made them difficult to approach, and even when they settled for any length of time it was mostly on the Field Scabious which was swaying wildly in the wind. However, with perseverance we managed a few shots...

P1200746.Resize.JPG
P1200791.Resize.JPG
P1210311.jpgB.Resize.JPG
P1210450.Resize.JPG
P1210464.Resize.JPG
P1210459.Resize.JPG
P1210419.Resize.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Painted Ladies, Maximus. The first one especially is beautifully marked. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful images Mike, that last one in particular is mighty fine :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”