Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Wurzel »

It looks like you're back in fine form Rex - those Heaths are cracking and a lush female Common Blue :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:It looks like you're back in fine form Rex - those Heaths are cracking and a lush female Common Blue :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, I feel much better now, and just in time for the summer season too. I was really pleased to see that lovely female Common Blue, for some reason I only seem to get photos of damaged ones! It was nice to see one in mint condition for a change. In fact I saw several more fresh females, there was hardly a male to be seen.

Looking forward to your Heath Frit adventures, I'm glad you finally saw some - it was a first for me too. :D

All the best

James

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Top of the form stuff James, nice to see things are back the way they should be for you :) looking forward to seeing lots more of your fine images and reports this summer :wink:

Kind Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Rex, glad your feeling better, your photos of the Heath are great, it's one species I shall probably miss this year but if I can see the Purple Emperor I'll be happy :D I'm just waiting now for some one to say they're out and about :D Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Willrow wrote:Top of the form stuff James, nice to see things are back the way they should be for you :) looking forward to seeing lots more of your fine images and reports this summer :wink:

Kind Regards,

Hi Bill, being unwell for so long means I've been really busy trying to catch up with just about everything. Thankfully I live quite close to some Sussex downland so I'm able to pop out in the morning or early evening for an hour or two. Hopefully when I've caught up I will be able to manage a few trips further afield for the less local species. Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to reading about your adventures too. :D
Goldie M wrote:Hi! Rex, glad your feeling better, your photos of the Heath are great, it's one species I shall probably miss this year but if I can see the Purple Emperor I'll be happy :D I'm just waiting now for some one to say they're out and about :D Goldie :D

Thank you Goldie, I've been trying to see some Heath Fritillaries for years now but it's like I've been cursed! It seemed like a mysterious force was trying to stop me seeing the Heath Fritillary. Finnaly this year I broke the spell - and what a relief it was too. I'm with you on the Purple Emperor front, I hope to see his royal purpleness this year. I hope both of us are granted an audience with his majesty - and we both get some good photos to remember the privilege. :D

Home Turf.

On Sunday and Monday I went out for a stroll around my local area to see what was about. The answer was "not much" but we are in the middle of June and at least a couple of our Summer species are beginning to emerge close to home.

One of these being the Large Skipper.
Large Skipper.jpg
And I've seen a few Meadow Browns.
Meadow Brown.jpg
Other than that it's been all Common Blues and Small Heath's in my area.
Common Blue Male.jpg
Common Blue Female.jpg
Small Heath.jpg
Nothing terribly exciting but it's still early and we have so much more to look forward to during the next couple of months.
Sussex Downland.jpg
All the best,

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some stunning images Rex, especially that last one - art that is :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Some stunning images Rex, especially that last one - art that is :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

Sadly I don't seem to have enough time to update my diary as much this summer and it's been a while since my last update. I have still been chasing butterflies whenever I can though. Due to aforementioned time constraints I've decided to let my pictures do the talking. Probably just as well, writing is not my strongest suit anyway. :D

These were all taken during the past three weeks.

Silver studded Blues.
SSB (01).jpg
SSB (02).jpg
SSB (03).jpg
Brighton Monarch.
Monarch (01).JPG
Monarch (02).JPG
Monarch (03).JPG
White-letter Hairstreak.
WLH (01).JPG
WLH (02).JPG
WLH (03).jpg
WLH (04).jpg
WLH (05).JPG
WLH (06).JPG
Purple Emperor.
PE (01).jpg
PE (02).jpg
PE (03).jpg
Assorted.
LS (01).jpg
MW (01).jpg
S W F (01).jpg
SS (01).jpg
That's all folks, untill the next time.

Best wishes

James

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Well done for seeing the Monarch and the Emperor! :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Katrina wrote:Well done for seeing the Monarch and the Emperor! :D
Thanks Katrina, yes I thought I was pushing my luck trying to see both on the same day. I just missed the main Purple Emperor action in the morning but luckily one came down late afternoon!
What with the Monarch in the morning and the Purple Emperor in the afternoon you could say that I had a pretty regal day. :D

It was nice to meet you again btw.

All the best

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi James,

A smashing selection of photos of a great range of species, bet there aren't many people who have seen Purple Emperor and Monarch on the same day :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Monarchs and Purple Emperors in one day are all very well but a White Letter Hairstreak posing on your hand?! That's just showing off!!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Butterflysaurus rex

Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

A smashing selection of photos of a great range of species, bet there aren't many people who have seen Purple Emperor and Monarch on the same day :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil
Hi Neil, it was a pretty surreal day. Seeing the beautiful and enormous Monarch in the heart of Brighton, occasionally dodging the traffic as it crossed the road was an amazing sight! It looked stunning as it floated through the air just above our heads!! Most of the Purple emperor action seemed to be over by the time I got there. In fact most of the people there gave up soon after I arrived, this undoubtedly helped me get some photos of the PE unimpeded by the crowds. :D It was a lot of fun doing the double, I still can't believe I pulled it off!

ATB

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Hoggers wrote:Monarchs and Purple Emperors in one day are all very well but a White Letter Hairstreak posing on your hand?! That's just showing off!!

Best wishes

Hoggers
Yes Hoggers, I thought the White-letter Hairstreak was showing off too! Some Butterflies eh! :roll: :D I was even more amazed to see that mating pair! I never thought I would witness that sight in my lifetime.

B'W's

James

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Amazing range of species in your last few posts with great shots to illustrate them. :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

You not only managed to see the Monarch (by Royal Appointment Rex :P ) but did it proud with some really cracking pics :)

BW's

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Where were your White-letter Hairstreak photos taken ? Thanks, Jamie.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic images Rex :mrgreen: :D In terms of letting the pictures do the talking there's enough there for an entire evening of chatter at a WI meeting :shock: :wink: Like Jamie I'm intrigued where you found the Whitter?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Great images James and a fab spot for the mating WLH. I'm sure you now have your best ever shot of these gems.

David M

Post by David M »

A Monarch and an Emperor in the same post is pretty much a Full House, Rex.

Well done!

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:Amazing range of species in your last few posts with great shots to illustrate them. :)
Thank you very much buggy, Although I managed to see the Monarch and PE on the same day, the rest of my photos were taken over a three week period all over East and West Sussex.
Willrow wrote:You not only managed to see the Monarch (by Royal Appointment Rex :P ) but did it proud with some really cracking pics :)

BW's

Hi Bill, the fact that the Monarch had taken up residence in the Royal Pavilion gardens only made the occasion seem even more appropriate. I'm relieved that I managed to get a few decent photos of the Monarch in the hour I was there.
Jamie Burston wrote:Where were your White-letter Hairstreak photos taken ? Thanks, Jamie.
Hi Jamie.

This is not a straight forward question to answer. I've been spending the last few weeks looking all over Sussex for Elm's and possible sources of nectar to tempt them down within range of my lens. I managed to find some in Brighton and there are still some Elm trees out in the countryside but virtually all of them are showing signs Dutch Elm Disease. :( my photos were taken at any place I found a WLH in good condition. As ever the females were in better condition emerging later than the males. They also seem to love Creeping Thistle even more than Bramble flower - or so it would appear. So in answer to your question my photos were taken all over the place, even in my aunties back garden in Brighton. :D
Wurzel wrote:Fantastic images Rex :mrgreen: :D In terms of letting the pictures do the talking there's enough there for an entire evening of chatter at a WI meeting :shock: :wink: Like Jamie I'm intrigued where you found the Whitter?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hello Wurzel, I was kicked out of our local WI, something about having an extra appendage they didn't agree with, or not having a couple of thingamajigs. it was all very confusing! :D
If I'd found all of those Whitters in one place I would have saved myself a lot of searching around!
badgerbob wrote:Great images James and a fab spot for the mating WLH. I'm sure you now have your best ever shot of these gems.
Thank you so much Bob, it was your fantastic images of the WLH that inspired me to try and get something close to your achievement. I now know how hard you've worked to find these butterflies. It takes a lot of searching, persistence and patience to get photos as good as yours. And as for that mating pair! I feel like a right lucky so & so. :D
David M wrote:A Monarch and an Emperor in the same post is pretty much a Full House, Rex.

Well done!
Hi David,

It was one of those days when everything you hoped for actually happened. I thought the Monarch would be long gone, but thanks to Katrina's report about it being seen the night before I thought I'd risk a flying visit on my way to find some Purple Emperors. When I managed to see the Monarch I thought I'd used up all my luck for the day. Then only half an hour before I had to set off for home I was granted an audience with his purpleness. Two AWESOME butterflies in the same day, and I met some great people too. It was fantastic. :D

Thank you all very much indeed for your extremely kind and generous comments, hopefully next year I will be able to update my diary properly - and keep up with everyone else's too.

My best wishes to you all

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”