A thank you from Fairmile Common (July 1st)

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Adrian Dowling

A thank you from Fairmile Common (July 1st)

Post by Adrian Dowling »

I am not sure where to put this so Mods please move it if required.

Today while photographing Silver-studded Blues on Fairmile Common I suffered badly with Heatstroke & Dehydration to the point that I required a Paramedic. I don't know if the 2 gentlemen who called the Paramedics for me will see this (I hope they do), but I just wanted to say a huge thank you to them for their help. At that moment I felt very ill and could have felt very isolated had I have been on my own, so whoever you are, thank you so much for you help.

The Paramedic was with me for well over an hour, but I was eventually able to drive back home again to Ramsgate .

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Adrian
Last edited by Adrian Dowling on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: A thank you from Fairmile Common (July 1st)

Post by Pete Eeles »

Here's to a speedy recovery Adrian.

It's also a timely reminder (given the current heatwave) to all UKBers to take plenty of liquids when out and about - it's all too easy to get "lost in the moment" and forget to take them (or drink them!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Bloody hell man! Glad there was help at hand and hope those pictures were worth it! I always put a bottle of water in the freezer overnight before going out in this kind of weather, stays ice cold for hours that way :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Wow - dedication! :D I too wish you a speedy recovery.

Here in the Alps I wouldn't consider leaving home on a day trip without all the safety kit - the assumption being I might end up on a rocky ledge for 48 hours with a broken leg. But I've noticed that when I come home to Suffolk I break every rule in the book and don't even take water when I cycle across the county. This is a very salutory warning in this potentially lethal weather.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I'd heard of egg collectors falling out of trees - little sympathy there. But the gentle pastime of butterfly watching has some hidden perils.

Glad all is now well. Did you SSB photos suffer from camera shake?

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Thank you all for your kind wishes, I am now fully recovered but unfortunately hadn't managed to get any decent photos before it all happened.

I had taken a large bottle of cold drink with me as I usually do, and had been drinking it during the short time I was on the common. I can only assume I was already partially dehydrated without realising it when I arrived, so events overtook me much quicker than I thought. Not a pleasant experience at all, but one I will ensure never happens again.

So I will have to wait another year for my SSB's and will be going for them on a much cooler day next time!

Best regards,
Adrian
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Best Wishes Adrian,
Fairmile Common is a short distance from me and is also one of the few places in Elmbridge where the beautiful Green Hairstreak Butterfly can be seen.
Here is to happy memories and a speedy recovery:
Green Hairstreak on Fairmile Common
Green Hairstreak on Fairmile Common
image.jpg
Kind Regards,
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Thanks Phil, although I missed out on photos of SSB's this year, I did manage to get some quite good shots of Large Blue at Collard Hill the end of last month (photos now on my website), so something to ease the frustration of recent events.
I am hoping to try for Brown Hairstreaks for the first time this year as I have never seen them before, so looking forward to that now.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Gosh, how scary for you. Glad help was at hand and you've made a good recovery.

Return to “General”