Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Not quite sure how I missed it Wurzel :roll: I think I will be falling behind with my posts however, as I must now check my photos more thoroughly :wink:

I will check more thoroughly frrom now on, David.

Thanks Trevor, just one image is all it takes :)

BH can be very frustrating Bill, as you know. Just one good image is all you need, and the frustration fades over time :wink:

Having just returned from a short trip away - report to follow - we (madly) decided to visit Alice Holt forest this evening in the 30 degree heat. Saw about a dozen very fresh and very lively Silver-washed Fritillaries but getting any images was hard work. Managed a couple of shots, but as they were nectaring in deep shade flash was needed, shutter speeds being ridiculously slow without.

P1200769.Resize.JPG
P1200765.Resize.JPG

We also saw this lovely Huchinsonii Comma.

P1200751.Resize.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos - I really like the shimmer on the silver-washed fritillaries!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the SWF, they brings back memories of Bently Woods where we saw them last year, great holiday we had. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Loving the lustre/sheen on the Silver-washed, really does look like it's been bathed in precious metals :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thank you Katrina, the SW Fritillaries were very fresh and the camera flash has highlighted the silver washings on the underwings nicely.

Thanks Wurzel, it's a precious - metal - butterfly :D

We recently spent a couple of days at Gloucestershire Wildlife Trusts fabulous Daneway Banks nature reserve. Due to the publicity this site has received both in the press and on TV, since our visit last year, we fully expected to find it full of other butterfly enthusiasts. So we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived and found we had it to ourselves! This was true during most of our visit apart from the Saturday and when GWT were conducting field trips with about ten to fifteen participants. Apparently Large Blue numbers are down on last year (although we were informed that plenty of eggs are being laid) but we still recorded 10+ per day and volunteers walking transects were recording almost twice that number. Fully open wing shots were not easy to get, possibly due to the hot weather with bright sun, but we managed a few. During our visit we also bumped into some of the Large Blue re-introduction team and a very patient Dave Simcox answered our questions regarding the progress of their ongoing work. We also encountered two camera teams and Iolo Williams appeared at the top of the bank asking if we'd seen any Large Blues, perhaps there's a Springwatch special featuring Large Blues at Daneway in the pipeline?

Misty morning at Daneway
Misty morning at Daneway
P1190649.Resize.JPG
P1200297.Resize.JPG
P1200472.Resize.JPG
P1200360.Resize.JPG

P1200540.Resize.JPG

P1200540.jpgB.Resize.JPG

P1200447.Resize.JPG
P1200453.Resize.JPG
Two in the same frame
Two in the same frame
A spider caught this Large Blue
A spider caught this Large Blue
Ovi-positing female
Ovi-positing female

However there's more to Daneway than just Large Blues...

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Beautiful photos of the Blues Mike and those SWF are stunning when they are as fresh as that :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Stunning Butterflies, and images to match.

TREVOR.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

There's been some really nice piccies of these beauties turning upon here recently, yours join them, that first open wing shot is something really special!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Carcking shots of the Large Blue Mike :D It reminds me that I need to sort mine out, not even hours in the day - I think I need a 'leap month' :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some lovely Large Blues from Danewood Banks Mike, a site that I have yet to visit...maybe next year. Mind you I always seem to say that and when next year comes I end up somewhere else :roll: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike , I love how the deep blue of the Butterfly looks so striking, I also love the close up shot, I think seeing the face of the Butterfly like that brings the photo to life. Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Superb set of top quality images Mike, you've done Danesway Bank...and the wonderful Large Blue proud :wink:

BW's

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thank you Pauline, I'm sure you will soon have some images of really fresh SWF :) :wink:

Thanks Trevor :)

Thanks bugboy, glad you like that shot!

Cheers Wurzel, I think you may need a leap two months at least :wink: :lol:

Thanks Neil, there's always loads of sites to visit, it's deciding which to visit in the time available which is the problem :roll: :wink:

Thank you Goldie, I like the close up shot for the same reason as you do :D

Thanks Bill, I'm glad you think we've done so :D :D

During our visit to Daneway we were lucky to bump into Andy again, if you read this Andy we had a great chat, great to see you again and thanks! We also bumped into Brian Arnold and the guys from Swanage and it was great to hear the first hand account of the discovery of the Map and European Swallowtail butterflies they found in Dorset last year. Thanks for e-mailing the brilliant photos across Brian.
In addition to Large Blues, Daneway is great for other species and although we didn't see them in the same numbers as we did last year, there were still plenty of Marbled Whites...

P1190539.Resize.JPG
Male and Female Marbled White
Male and Female Marbled White
P1190588.Resize.JPG
P1200318.Resize.JPG
P1200334.Resize.JPG
P1200387.Resize.JPG

P1200523.Resize.JPG

...and others..

Small Heath
Small Heath
Very fresh Grizzled Skipper
Very fresh Grizzled Skipper
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
Ringlet
Ringlet

It's a lovely site and it's great to see the Large Blues. A big thanks to GWT and the Large Blue re-introduction team :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Gorgeous Marbled White shots Mike :mrgreen: - and I see you brought a souvenir back for Wurzel :wink: :lol:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Marbled Whites Mike, also SH, I didn't know Grizzled Skippers were still about, that's great a fresh one too, I might catch one yet Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline and Goldie, I was surprised at seeing such a fresh Grizzlie Goldie, you may just get one :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely photos, Maximus. The Grizzlie is a real surprise - could it conceivably be a second generation? I wonder how early they were here this year.

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Dave, the fresh Grizzlie was a real surprise and could possibly be a second generation individual? We saw our first Grizzlies on 20th April in Hampshire!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful shots Mike :D I'm not sure what one is the souvenir though? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, I'm not 100% sure, is it the MW underside :?

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”