Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Lovely Glanville shots Katrina :D If only they weren't so far away from me
Hutchinson's Bank can't be that far from you, Wurzel?

There's still time.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Hello to the Heath Fritillaries

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel - I feel the same way about your Marsh Fritillaries.

Enticed by Marc Heath's photo and armed with Dave Brown's instructions both posted on this website (thanks to both) I headed off to see my first Heath Fritillary at East Blean Wood. I collected my sister from Canterbury West Station on the way. The instructions are excellent and we very quickly saw a lot of Heath Fritillaries. I am not sure how many,but it was, on occasion, possible to stand in one spot and have sight of five at a time. A very enjoyable day.
Attachments
DSC06282.JPG
DSC06263.JPG
DSC06294.JPG
DSC06328.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Heath Fritillary shots Katrina, they seem to be a bit earlier this year.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some great shots there Katrina and sounds like you had a fabulous day. I have only ever been there once and I must admit when I saw Marc's photo I, too, was tempted :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Maximus and Pauline. Pauline if you do go watch out for the anthills, a lot of ants and anthills about!

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Wonderful images of Heath Fritillary Katrina, gives me a lovely incentive to go see them again on Exmoor in the next few weeks :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Iping Common to see the Silver-studded Blues. I found one male and then bumped into Roy, who I had met also one year ago, in the same place. Together we managed to find one female and a further 6 males. Last year we saw many more and all centred on heather. Today we were surprised they were mainly in an area of mixed grass, vegetation and heather.
Later I went to Kithurst Meadow and saw my first Meadow Brown of the year. There were also numerous fresh Common Blues, some Small Heaths, 2 Small Blues, 2 Brimstones and 2 Red Admirals.
I finished at Mill Hill looking for roosting blues.
Attachments
DSC06442.JPG
DSC06461.JPG
DSC06498.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I love the final Silver-stud image - puts it into context :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Wurzel wrote:I love the final Silver-stud image - puts it into context :mrgreen: :D
Me too - and for the same reason :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Wurzel wrote:I love the final Silver-stud image - puts it into context :mrgreen: :D
Me too - and for the same reason :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Me Three - and ditto! :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Me four and ditto ditto...but this just can't go on :lol:

Regards,

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel for your kind comments - ditto Pete, Bugboy and Willrow! :D
Here is the uncropped photo which seemed amenable to cropping in a few ways.
Attachments
full shot.jpg

Katrina

More SSBs

Post by Katrina »

This morning I first went to Chantry Hill hoping to see roosting butterflies but only found a Painted Lady. I went on to Iping Common. Arriving there about 7.15 I wondered if I would be too late for roosting butterflies having found nothing at Chantry. I however found 39 (36 males and 3 females). I also found one dead one with a fly. The fly was clearly interested in the dead butterfly and was still there on the butterfly on my way back. I wondered if anyone knew what was going on with it. I also saw a Green Woodpecker.
Attachments
SSB large xx.jpg
roosting cropped.jpg
roosting and path cropped.jpg
habitat shot.jpg
fly and SSB.jpg
SSB on Grass Small.jpg
Female SSB smaller.jpg

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Just love your habitat images Katrina, one image can portray such a great deal!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Bill. I have been enjoying your Large Heath photos - a species still on my list to see.

I went to Botany Bay today hoping for Purple Emperors. None seen but I had a lot of fun following 2 Wood Whites around. I met several nice people on the way. I also saw about six White Admirals, 3 Silver-Washed Fritillaries, a few Brimstones and Speckled Woods, some Skippers and lots of Ringlets.
Attachments
DSC06814.JPG
DSC06825.JPG
DSC06828.JPG
DSC06913.JPG
DSC06958.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots of the Wood Whites Katrina. I must get myself over that way soon because as you've pointed out, in the absence of PE there is always something else to see :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Great stuff.

Katrina

Insh Marshes 1st July

Post by Katrina »

I went with my sister to Insh Marshes on 1st July. We saw one Orange Tip, several Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, numerous Small Heath and Northern Brown Argus and one Common Blue. We also bumped into some local butterfly enthusiasts who gave up some helpful advice about finding Large Heaths and a dragonfly my sister was hoping to find.
Attachments
DSC06994.JPG
DSC06997 - Version 2.JPG
DSC07000 - Version 2.JPG
DSC07025.JPG
DSC07034.JPG

Katrina

2nd July 2015

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday we went to Lochindorb to see Large Heaths. We saw a lot of Small Heaths and three Large Heaths (form Scotia) one that looked newly emerged. We also saw Golden Plovers, Toads, Red Grouse and a hare.
We then went to a two ponds near Loch Garten and saw White Faced Darters in the first and Four-Spotted Chaser in the second. Also many Large Red Damselflies.
In the evening we went for a walk in Rothiemurchus and saw one Small Heath.
Attachments
Large Heath Lochindorb
Large Heath Lochindorb
Large Heath Lochindorb
Large Heath Lochindorb
White-faced Darter near Loch Garten
White-faced Darter near Loch Garten
Small Heath and Damselfly Rothiemurchus
Small Heath and Damselfly Rothiemurchus
Small Heath Rothiemurchus
Last edited by Katrina on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Katrina, I didn't have such good luck with my LH's we couldn't get close enough it was so boggy, but at least i got some far a way shots of them. Love yours though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”