Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Jack Harrison »

Goldie:
....didn't realise it's markings were so out standing
Most photographs, including those I have taken, certainly don't do the species justice. However, as always, Neil's photos are superb.

Glad the Fritillary project is keeping you out of mischief. I trust PBs will soon be flying again in Ambersham and Graffham Commons where I used to enjoy them 40-something years ago. I even found the almost-white ab there once. When I first saw if distantly I thought it was a Magpie Moth but being in my more athletic youth then, I managed to chase it down. (Photo hidden away somewhere).

Jack

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Superb photos, Neil. Possibly the best uppersides I've seen of this amazing species!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. As most will know, the Large Blue is seldom keen to open its wings, and even less keen to open them wide, so I was delighted to at last get the opportunity to record this iconic species in its full glory. It's a privilege just to see the Large Blue, irrespective of photography.

Pete, the event reminded me of the first time we actually met, when we shared a fresh female on the bank at Collard (how dodgy does that sound?). That day supplied my last, best shot, and also the first opportunity to meet Dave Simcox. We have much to thank him, Jeremy and others for!

BWs, Neil

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Neil Hulme wrote:Pete, the event reminded me of the first time we actually met, when we shared a fresh female on the bank at Collard (how dodgy does that sound?). That day supplied my last, best shot, and also the first opportunity to meet Dave Simcox. We have much to thank him, Jeremy and others for!
I remember that day well, Neil ... and you have one heck of a memory! And it was a pleasure to meet Mr. Hulme Snr. :) I remember the Large Blues being in good numbers, so much so, that they really distracted from any conversation we were having! An absolutely great day in the company of the one and only Mr. Simcox :) I remember taking this shot of you both, deep in conversation:
Neil and David.jpg
I couldn't agree more about the work that Jeremy, Dave, Sarah Meredith (Dave's assistant) and many others do ... we often see the end result, but don't always appreciate the deep science, effort, volunteering and funding that sits behind something as simple as seeing a Large Blue on British soil. Which is why I get rather upset when I hear of potential or actual impediments to the work that Dave and others do - but that's a much longer discussion, best held over a pint or two.

Again, fantastic images and something to aspire to.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
William

Post by William »

I will second the comments on the photography (superb) and Dave and Sarah's work (inspirational), I bumped into them both briefly today whilst helping out at Collard, a real pleasure!

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Neil :mrgreen: Looking forward to the update on FFtF :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Fritillaries

Today (28 June) I had an entire day free, and for once this season I wasn't thinking about Fritillaries for the Future. However, it was still a day full of fritillaries, particularly if you count the Duke of Burgundy!

After some early warm sunshine a blanket of grey cloud soon invaded my part of Sussex, but it remained mild – perfect conditions to go hunting Dark Green Fritillary. I headed for Fairmile Bottom LNR near Arundel, where recent changes in management by WSCC have brought about some spectacular results, including a dazzling array of orchids. Whenever the cloud thinned and the temperature edged up, the male DGFs would take to the air, constantly examining tufts of grass and low scrub in their search for virgin females. Even light rain didn’t deter them, but when the temperature dropped a degree or two they would eventually take a rest, either in the grass or on low brambles.

When the rain became heavier for a while I took time out to photograph the beautiful Bee Orchids. There are so many orchids here (mainly Common Spotted and Pyramidal) that many were being used as perches by the numerous Marbled Whites. However, I wasn’t to be distracted, and after 3 hours I found what I was looking for – a newly hatched DGF sitting motionless and atypically easy to approach.

I then moved on for a brief visit to a Duke of Burgundy site near Storrington, in order to assess the quantity of larval feeding damage. I got lucky again, as the first leaf I turned revealed a tiny Duke caterpillar, unhatched eggs and empty shells!
BC Dark Green Fritillary, Fairmile Bottom LNR 28.6.15.jpg
BC Bee Orchids, Fairmile Bottom LNR 28.6.15.jpg
BC Dark Green Fritillary (2), Fairmile Bottom LNR 28.6.15.jpg
BC Duke of Burgundy caterpillar, eggs and feeding damage, Storrington 28.6.15.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like we had similar weekends Neil :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The colours on the DGFs are just lush Neil :mrgreen: :D , any fieldcraft tips on how to find freshly emerged DGFs?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
Your DGF,on the Common Spotted Orchid really hits the spot, nicely sums up the part of the season we're in
at the moment. Talking of which, is your JCB ( Japanese commuter bike ) oiled up and ready to go?.

Have a Purple one,
TREVOR.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. I was very pleased with the DGF.

Bugboy: Orchids and butterflies - always a winning combination. I hope you enjoyed yours as much as I did mine!

Wurzel: "any fieldcraft tips on how to find freshly emerged DGFs?"
TBH it's just a case of being there at the right time - about three days after the first emergence on any site; in the right weather conditions - marginal for flight; and putting the time in - just keep walking, and walking, and walking. The rewards always outweigh the effort ... eventually.

Trevor: "Talking of which, is your JCB ( Japanese commuter bike ) oiled up and ready to go?"
Oiled up? Oiled up! This machine hasn't seen oil since the turn of the century. No gears, no brakes, no fear. It will be business as usual.

BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the DGF's Neil, I hope they've arrived at Gait Barrow it was really short on Butterflies last time I went there Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fritillaries for the Future PROJECT UPDATE

Since the start of April my feet have barely touched the ground, in a mad rush to get this project up and running. An initial audit of what we have left in Sussex clearly shows that a mad rush is entirely necessary. When the maximum daily counts of Pearl-bordered Fritillary for each remaining site are added together, the total only just exceeds 100 – that’s a shocking figure! Of those 8 sites, either NO or just ONE fritillary was the maximum count on 3 of them, if you can call that a maximum. We may already be down to just 5 colonies; but remember what we have achieved with the Duke of Burgundy in Sussex, with a total annual count of 8 in 2005 rising to 1000 today. With your help it can be done.

Assisted by Mike (Butterfly Maker) Mullis, a captive breeding programme is now underway, for both Pearls and Small Pearls (pictured). I have already visited 24 sites to assess their suitability for natural colonisation through habitat improvement, expansion of existing populations, or re-introductions. Work will continue at full speed for the three years of the project. This is a golden opportunity – the last, best chance we will ever have to save Sussex Pearls. BC Sussex members will have received an appeal letter in June, asking for donations. Thank you to all who have responded, and in advance to those who intend to do so. For those who are yet to act, or who may wish to act again, please Text FRIT15 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 to help this vital work. If we lose these butterflies we will lose part of our spring.

Many thanks, Neil
FFTF appeal. Captive-bred SPBF in cop 3.6.15.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

please Text FRIT15 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 to help this vital work
Neil. You slightly flatter some of oldies. I know that texting must be easy as I see four year olds doing it. But I have never bothered to learn how to do so and in all honesty, I can’t be bothered to learn now.

How can I send a donation in an “old fashioned way”? Believe it or not, in spite of shunning texting, I can manage a BACS transfer (but I have no idea what BACS stands for!) so I am not totally out of touch. So a bank account to send to would be ideal.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

I agree that there is the need to provide a further option, to cover all audiences. Although this is a useful addition to the armoury of fundraising tools, a gap remains for those who are not members of BC Sussex (who received an appeal letter with straightforward donation options), but who are uneasy about using this sort of technology for financial transactions. For this reason I emailed the Supporter Development Officer at BC HQ this morning, for guidance on a more traditional, additional option. I'll post that information here, as soon as the SDO gets back to me (not working today).

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fritillaries for the Future Project Donations

Anyone kind enough to make a donation to the cause, via a more traditional method, can post a cheque, made out to 'Butterfly Conservation', to:

Butterfly Conservation
Manor Yard
East Lulworth
Wareham
Dorset
BH20 5QP

enclosing a note that it is specifically for the Fritillaries for the Future project.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to support the project, via any of the available options.

Best Wishes, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Emperors Go Large

Matthew Oates and I led a group of a dozen visitors around the Knepp Castle Estate Wildland today, all keen to see the Purple Emperor. The slow start turned into a very good morning session, before we broke for a leisurely lunch provided by our hosts Charlie and Issy.
Charlie Burrell explains the Knepp rewilding philosophy.jpg
However, the real fireworks were reserved for the afternoon. We watched in awe as 4 Purple Emperors (2 being particularly nasty) indulged in the most prolonged and vicious combat that I have ever witnessed. They just wouldn’t let it lie. A pattern soon developed, with a regular cycle of high level chases being punctuated by tumbling, tight turns just above our heads. These butterflies had clearly adopted a Motorhead mentality. By the time we had finished the official tour we had clocked up more than 40 individuals. On the way back to Knepp Safaris HQ we stopped to watch at least 4 White-letter Hairstreaks cavorting around the top of some Elms.

Enough is never enough, so Matthew, Paul Fosterjohn and I headed out again, surveying some new areas and bringing the day’s tally to 54 Purple Emperor. As the sun started to dip towards the horizon the Purple Hairstreaks became more active, and we watched some impressive dogfights between Emperors and up to 7 hairstreaks at a time. The Purple Hairstreak is clearly making a comeback after several poor seasons and we saw 100+.

There are many ways by which to measure the benefits being brought, sometimes unforeseen, by the innovative rewilding scheme at Knepp, including the unprecedented increases in numbers of Turtle Dove, Cuckoo and Nightingale. But there can be no better measure than the rise and rise of the Purple Emperor. This was meant to be a species of extensive, Oak-rich woodlands, rather than open Sallow scrubland.

Lessons such as this confirm the minimal-intervention philosophy at Knepp as one of the most important and exciting developments in conservation in recent years. Perhaps not the golden bullet, but certainly a critically important addition to the armoury. Aside from viewing these particular species, the clear winners, it is worth visiting Knepp just to view the landscape being created, which increasingly provides a portal back to a time when the British countryside was a much healthier and vibrant place.

Of interest to many will be the news that a few Emperors are now being seen on the ground. Unfortunately I flushed one which had been feasting on a squashed rabbit/fox scat combo! :oops:

Good to see Susie amongst the participants, on what turned out to be a very good day!

Susie

Post by Susie »

I hope today is as good for you. The sun is shining now! :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Susie. Here's a copy of my report on today's purple proceedings.

Another great day out with Knepp Safaris today, following an initial delay for rain. Matthew Oates and I led another enthusiastic group around the Southern Block of the Knepp Castle Estate Wildland, some of whom had never seen a Purple Emperor before. They have now! Females are yet to emerge and we are still in the male build phase, so it’s difficult to predict just how large the numbers are going to get. The tally for today’s tour was 72 Purple Emperors, with a further 5 seen during an evening sortie to watch the Purple Hairstreaks swarming. These are counts of individuals (not sightings), only logged when multiple Emperors are all visible, or their positions accounted for, while at each location. We later heard that Mark Tutton from Portsmouth had photographed a male Emperor on the ground, proving that they do occasionally come down here. It’s time to get the bait out!

BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I was planning to go to Fermyn Woods early has they say your assured of a PE sighting there, however my plans have had to change, I can't go now until the end of July, ( will that be too late do you think) Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”