ingleslenobel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ingleslenobel

ingleslenobel

Post by ingleslenobel »

Went over to Denbies on a ridiculously warm May 1st Sunday morning (~22C) and took a right down after Steer's field towards the copse down the right path. Spotted plenty of: Grizzled Skippers, Dingy Skippers, Brimstones, and a pair of fiercely quarreling Green Hairstreaks thanks to Ralph Clark's keen eyesight, far sharper than mine. Also spotted a pair of other butterfly people doing Denbies that morning, but unfortunately they disappeared down towards the railway tracks before I had a chance to strike up a conversation. Other species seen: Peacock, + small red burnet, not sure which one. Went home soon after because my eBay purchased backpack broke, bah.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ingleslenobel

Re: ingleslenobel

Post by ingleslenobel »

Went on a BC walk at Denbies on 22 May; about 10 of us gathered at the gates to Steer's Field. I learned a lot during the walk and saw the species that I'd hoped: Green Hairstreak and Adonis Skipper. Didn't do too much photography and beginning to see the limitations of my setup; the people with true primes seemed to be able to shoot from much further away. I felt a bit foolish when I got to close and disturbed the butterflies.

The Denbies Hillside walk was incredibly instructive; the walk leader drew our attention to foodplants as well as the orchids. Seeing the kite in the sky, the adders under the metal and the slowworm on the path home made the day complete. I may have made a friend or two during the walk and Ken Owen and I have already exchanged emails about Box Hill, a place I'd like to explore during the next few weeks. Fwiw, I'd thoroughly recommend these Butterfly Conservation outings if you're a bit of a beginner like myself; the walking pace is very relaxed, and with 10 pairs of eyes there's a much bigger chance of seeing something good.

-Johan

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.

Return to “Personal Diaries”