Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul

Paul

Post by Paul »

This diary is a continuation of my original blog which can be found at: blog.php?u=1281

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul

Re: Paul

Post by Paul »

Well, here we go, just when I thought this trip would be dismal for butterflies, I had better luck today in the Sandia Heights of Albuquerque NM..... something I really hoped to see.... an uncommon early spring species, with a close affinity to Texas Bear Grass ( clinging to on 3rd photo) ... the appropriately named Sandia Hairstreak.... :D

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not much around here, but today in San Diego...

I think Behr's Metalmark...

Likewise not 100% certain Funereal Duskywing...

and ??? Silvery Blue... worn to bits :(

Also seen but not managed a shot of... American Lady, Californian Orange Tip, Cloudless sulphur, a different Green Hairstreak and Anise Swallowtail. :roll:
Last edited by Paul on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Paul, I agree that does look like Behr's Metalmark, lovley shot btw, looks like a very nice butterfly. I looked at shots of Funereal Duskywing and yours does look like a worn one. You can see a comparison I made of your shot and a shot of a confirmed funereal duskywing:
funereal duskywing
funereal duskywing

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Paul

Post by Paul »

trip wound up with little else of note... Fiery Skipper being the only other notable butterfly seen...

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Great shots, Paul! I've had so much to do since getting back from my own trip I haven't read the posts I missed yet (I got back on Sunday night and had to teach at 8.00am on the Monday morning).

One of the things I really love about these exotica from foreign climes is relating them to our own butterflies - seeing how the same groups spread out and diversified over the face of the planet during the course of evolutionary history. The process took millions of years, but we can undo all that work in such a short time if we don't look after this wonderful inheritance.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

agreed totally, and with respect to inheritance.... on reflection the attitude in the US is quite "foreign" to me... seems a mix of ultra-protectiveness and total insensitivity I cannot get my head around... very different culture ( IMHO ). Insensitivity I can rationalize, but when I did manage to explore one of their "reserves", the keep out signs made it a very tarmac exercise indeed. It's like they have a huge, I mean HUGE country, but have already decided which bits they will turn into natural "museums", & b****r the rest of it. :shock:

I am too, endlessly fascinated by the contrast/ comparisons between different continental species.... I'm no butterfly Palaentologist, but there must have been a significant number of diverse groups already in existence before Pangea strode of in all directions, giving rise to, for example the Leptotes look-alikes worldwide, and the rest!

I love those Indian examples :D

Comma, Peacock and Small Torts just showing up here in the arctic north yorks.. :?

Paul

Post by Paul »

A couple of sunny days have bought out the Peirids now... OT, Small & GV Whites, as well as Comma, ST & Peacocks now celebrating Spring chez moi 8) :D , albeit with a high volcanic haze overhead!! :(

A trip to see if the Green H's were out failed last week... may try again tomorrow. :?

Also a new moth for me overnight... Oak Beauty... and it is!

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

As Robin Williams might say... "Shot my first butterfly today,,,, it's on the wall between my moose, and my white tailed deer." He's a lovely man Robin.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Paul

Post by Paul »

:D :D :D

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Lovley OTs Paul and nice Oak Beauty, Oak beauties are somewhat a rarety in Co Down, only recorded so far at one location here and a few other places in Northern Ireland, been looking for them with no avail.

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well you never know, I didn't see one at all last year.... hope you see one... would be a much bigger coup than mine here :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another OT today, having come in on the dry washing by mistake yesterday and overnighted inside..... :wink:

Paul

Post by Paul »

The obligatory GVW photo in the garden today... this one was quite a diminutive individual..

Green Hairstreaks not flying here either of the last two weekends.... more luck this weekend???? :?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Still no GHs today. Probably still to come, but the bilberry at the site was burnt off at some stage last year, so beginning to feel they might have come to some harm.... remains to be seen, and I know the burning is not meant to harm them.
7 species at home, and my first garden Speckled Wood of the year

Paul

Post by Paul »

Saw my first female OT today, no photo..... and a couple of whites...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Another lovely spring day here. A couple more photos worth sharing...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Thwarted lately by work and weather, found this female OT in the garden today..

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul

I notice that your Speckled Wood has damage to a hind wing. I too have seen similar damage.
damage.jpg
Presumably it is caused by contact with stiff grass. Any other suggestions?

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah totally agreed.... that would do it Jack.... and they have taken a liking to the semi dead Pampas grass winter has left us!!! - it's sharply serrated!!!

Today managed to do my local GH pilgrimage... 14 seen, most fresh, some less so, and a variety of spottedness.....

I like the way the sun reflected off some of the small golden "hairs" on this first one.....

and whiter than normal fringes on this one... :?

So burning doesn't seem to harm them, the're as strong as usual, just late! :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”